It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got caught

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 09:25 AM
link   
This is going to take some explanation....

My hobby is woodworking. I build custom furniture and do carvings. I don't use power tools, I use Japanese planes, saws, chisels, etc..so it's all by hand.
It's not a fast process by any means but I love the way it turns out.

Interesting note : The Japanese believe that when you build something, you put some of your essence into it and it into you. That's why Japanese planes are meant to be drawn toward you, instead of the Western style planes that are pushed. You draw the spirit of the wood into yourself.

I remodeled our bathroom a couple of weeks ago and since then, have been telling my wife I'm helping a friend of mine who is a contractor on a job. What I've really been doing is building her a table. She wanted a new dining table and since her birthday is coming up, I thought it would be a good present. She kept picking stuff out online and I would always say "Nah, don't like that one"..or that one or that one.
I've got a friend of mine who has a shop, so I've been doing it there, trying to keep it a secret.

This morning, I stayed home because she got her first vaccine yesterday, is not feeling well and I wanted to keep an eye on her. She asked me why I was staying home and I told her "to take care of you" She asked if I had called J to let him know I wasn't coming and I flubbed it. She knew something was up and started questioning me about what I was really doing.
She knew I had taken all my tools that NEVER get taken to a job site. It got to the point she was getting upset and I said "Ok, come with me " We got in my truck and went to my friends and I showed her this.

I've had some burl walnut in the shed for a couple of years and this what it will look like when I'm done.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

George Nakashima would have approved...I'll bet your lady loved it too!

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Very impressive, I like the finish.

Now you need to knock out about eight or so matching chairs.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 09:38 AM
link   
That's a gorgeous piece!

I would love that for a table. I'm sure she will be thrilled.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Admit it...she thought you were having an affair.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Nice!

You're a class act!

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Same sort of thing happened when my wife got suspicious about me stepping out every night.

I told her I was secretly building her a strip club for Christmas.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Admirable work. Color me impressed. Wish I could afford to pay you to make me one lol.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 10:28 AM
link   
So a guy went to see his girlfriend on the way home from a trip. He fell asleep and knew when he got home, his wife would be on him. So he asked his girlfriend for some baby powder. He sprinkled a little on his left hand between the thumb and index finger. He then went home. When his wife asked him where he had been, he said he went to his girlfriends house and made wild love to her for hours. His wife then checked his hands and laughed and told him not to lie, he was out playing pool.

The more you know.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 10:31 AM
link   
that is awesome. i have been dreaming of that same table top for a while now. But i know my husband aint making me one. you are a good husband!a reply to: DAVID64

edit on 24-11-2021 by HODOSKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 10:33 AM
link   
That's beautiful

Good work!

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Awesome i use power tools and mine never looks that perfect.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Well at least you got caught making it for her and not another woman. Lmao jk.

It’s beautiful.
4 high back wood chairs with the same grain… Fantastic

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Have to appreciate a true artisan.

Good on you

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 11:47 AM
link   

That's a nice table. I bet your wife loves it.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Superb craftsmanship and a beautiful gesture for your wife's birthday.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Tell us the truth. You made up the story just so you could show off your handiwork. J/K!

Good stuff sir. I didn't know we had any true artists in Southern Illinois.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I own an open ended delta drum sander to sand stuff, It is nineteen inches wide I think. and can sand boards up to thirty six inches if you flip them around. It takes a while to put new sand paper on the two drums, so pitch sucks when you sand pine boards.Is that what you used to sand the board level?

It looks pretty nice. Post a picture someday when your done with it, I like that kind of stuff.

I make cat coffins....fancy ones... for our cats when they die. Solid oak except for the bottoms which are half inch oak plywood. I only use tongue oil finish on them because I don't think that it is good to bury urathane in the cat cemetary. I also make headstones for the pets, but have been lax, I need some more diamond bits for the dremel to put in the names and dates. I wonder if someone could use one of those laser tables to cut in the letters into stone? I don't know anyone anymore who has one of those, my brother knows someone though.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Great job with the woodwork!

As far as the partner goes, not here to make a diagnosis, but sounds to me like narcissistic abuse.

I'd get out while I can.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Honey came in and she caught me red handed...making her birthday present dining table by hand.

It wasn't me!

In all seriousness, that is a mighty fine table and I love the usage of the tools and the ideology around them. That's why I try and order a lot of my kitchenware and knives from Japanese craftspeople, you get amazing quality that you can't find in a store.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join