It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A man in upstate New York burst into flames after officers used a taser to subdue him, police say

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Defund hand sanitizer.

Clearly we need to invest in teaching our police force to be more understanding of ones need to get naked and sanitize.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

"I think they were afraid he was going to hurt himself,

"I think that guy's going to hurt himself. Quick! We have to electrocute him first!"

It's situations like these why we need a police force that is trained in more than shoot first and ask questions later.This man was clearly having a mental episode. If this police department had a trained mental health professional on staff, maybe this man could have been saved from being turned into a living effigy.

I so agree. This new trending of, "I was afraid for my life ", excuse for shooting up anything, and any one, within your perimeter has to stop.

I respect a person's fear. Fear is a power tool/weapon, and it can be very handicapping.

We went from foolhardy dare devils as cops, to frightened wannabes, that think they are being preemptive by shooting at shadows, or anything that moves, or might move.

I think the requirements for the job should include a class like the one in MIB. At least he had a pretty good reason for shooting the little girl, and it was not because he feared for his life

edit on 6-11-2021 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Clean up.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: Kreeate

As for the unknown substance, you can smell hand sanitizer from 4 feet away.

How do we know there wasn't more that 4' between them ?
And , are you willing to stack your life , or the life of your colleagues , on what you think you smell ?
I would be more worried on what stupid was planning to do covered in an unknown (at the time) substance .
Normal folks don't usually strip to use HAND sanitizer .
And even worse, don't smear it all over the body .

We don't know, as I've stated before, and again, the perpetrator was indeed stupid to do what he did, no question about that.
The issue for me is the level of response, which was not in line with the apparent situation. If we're all going to overreact to simple situations, there'd be many more graves to dig unnecessarily.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 07:40 AM
link   

a reply to: Kreeate

As for the unknown substance, you can smell hand sanitizer from 4 feet away.

How do we know there wasn't more that 4' between them ?
And , are you willing to stack your life , or the life of your colleagues , on what you think you smell ?
I would be more worried on what stupid was planning to do covered in an unknown (at the time) substance .
Normal folks don't usually strip to use HAND sanitizer .
And even worse, don't smear it all over the body .

It is more likely that the police told him to use the hand sanitizer and the man initially refused.

And when pressed, went overboard.

But we will just have to wait for more information to follow, to know what really occured.

Jones’ attorney says there was an exchange that happened and that this was caught on video. He has asked for all relevant information to be retained.

“The goal right now is to preserve whatever evidence there is as to what happened and for he to do his best with doctors to recover as far as he can,” Luibrand said.
13wham.com...
edit on 6-11-2021 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

It is more likely that the police told him to use the hand sanitizer and the man initially refused.

And when pressed went overboard.

That is a possibility.
"You want me to use the hand sanitizer? Ok fine. I'll use it. I'll use the whole flippin' bottle!!"

I hadn't really thought about where the sanitizer came from. For some reason, I guess I just assumed he brought it with him.

IF the sanitizer was already there & IF the cops told him to use it, that's the type of info they'd rather not voluntarily give to the public at this time.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

"Stupid gets what stupid asks for"

I assume you are talking about the police officer.
Let's see what he gets for setting a person on fire.

No , as usual folks assumed wrong.
I assume you believe it is perfectly ok to walk into a police station , take your clothes off and start rubbing an unknown substance (at the time) all over your body .
Sounds kinky , but still stupid .

So you think police officer did a smart thing?

Logically , yes.
He didn't shoot the man .
Assunotme .

Eh?

He doused himself with highly flamable liquid infront of the officers then the officers lit it. The officers actions were criminally stupid.

The officer is a clear danger to the public and far too thick to be allowed any position of authority.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

It is not like they knew what he was rubbing all over himself. Should they have politely asked him first "Sir, sir, before i taze you, is that flammable? "

That's like asking someone who pulls a gun at you if it is loaded before you defend yourself. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone

That's what I was thinking at first too, assuming that he had brought it with him, but it's possible that the hand sanitizer was already there in the Police Station, for anyone/everyone to use once they enter.

They very well could have known what it was, but just didn't think the taser would ignite it.

Hell, it's even possible that they tased him because they were worried he was going to ignite himself with a lighter.

Obviously, I'm just speculating. Hard to say for sure, without being able to watch the video.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Ya think that the cops would have known not to shoot a guy full of sanitizer with a tazer, sparks and alcohol do not go good together. Maybe the guy was nuts, but I do have to mention that the cops were not showing a lot of common sense too.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Not all hand sanitizer is flammable. From what some of you are saying, this is how it should have happened.

DESK OFFICER: Sir! Sir! Please put your clothes back on!

SUSPECT: F*ck you!

DESK OFFICER: Sir what is that you are pouring on yourself? May I see the bottle?

DESK OFFICER: (Running Google search for hand sanitizer) (Finds it and downloads the MSDS) Boys ! The MSDS says that's flammable! Put away the Tasers, get out your batons!

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

I thought about that as well. Even if they somehow knew a 100% for sure that it was hand sanitizer, who would stop to think that he might go up in flames because of a tazer. The guy walked into a freagin police station and started acting weird and suspicious AF, they react and they did not shoot him. They choose a non lethal weapon to take him down before he could do anything that would hurt others. If they wanted him dead they would have pulled their gun and for all we know he wanted to set himself on fire and run into people there.

Same thing if i would start to undress in the middle of the street and runup to someone like a mad man and i get decked, crack my head because of the fall and die as a result. Are we going to blame they guy who decked me or me for being a dumb insane F ?

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
Not all hand sanitizer is flammable. From what some of you are saying, this is how it should have happened.

DESK OFFICER: Sir! Sir! Please put your clothes back on!

SUSPECT: F*ck you!

DESK OFFICER: Sir what is that you are pouring on yourself? May I see the bottle?

DESK OFFICER: (Running Google search for hand sanitizer) (Finds it and downloads the MSDS) Boys ! The MSDS says that's flammable! Put away the Tasers, get out your batons!

Exactly that. Folks in this threat that desperately need to blame these cops dont live in reality. We used to call them snowflakes. Now we just called them regre.. progressives or Gen-Z's.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone
Same thing if i would start to undress in the middle of the street and runup to someone like a mad man and i get decked, crack my head because of the fall and die as a result. Are we going to blame they guy who decked me or me for being a dumb insane F ?

Yes.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion
He doused himself with highly flamable liquid infront of the officers then the officers lit it. The officers actions were criminally stupid.

Male cow feces.

How was the Officer to know that it was a FLAMMABLE liquid? Alcohol is odorless, colorless and tasteless.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

It is more likely that the police told him to use the hand sanitizer and the man initially refused. And when pressed, went overboard.

Which is still stupid .

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: FunshineCD

He must have been very toxic on the inside. People who eat a lot of junk food, drink a lot of sugary beverages, and never sweat, or drink much water.. are walking Molotov cocktails.

An entire operating room of medical people were knocked unconscious by one of these toxic people, when the scalpel cut into their body.
a reply to: carewemust

When was this? Could that explain the "spontaneous human combustion" thing?

But now, I believe you commented on the Alec Baldwin thread that he should be charged... In your opinion, the police officer, after witnessing the man douse himself with a flammable substance, and firing an electrical charge at him, be charged with a crime?

Of course Baldwin should be charged. He didn't inspect his weapon, pointed it at a lady, pulled the trigger, killed her.

What police officer?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join