It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A man in upstate New York burst into flames after officers used a taser to subdue him, police say

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Apparently, 29 year old Jason Jones walked into the Police Station, began taking off his clothes, and doused himself with hand sanitizer. The cops allegedly didn't want him to hurt himself, so they zapped him with a taser and he caught on fire.

Jason Jones is in an intensive care burn unit at Upstate University Hospital in Syracuse with grave injuries he sustained after he reportedly covered himself with hand sanitizer and began arguing with police.

The Catskill man allegedly walked into the village police department last weekend and a confrontation with officers began..... law enforcement was familiar with Jones from previous encounters and they deployed a Taser to subdue the man.

"I think they were afraid he was going to hurt himself, and that's what started it," Darling told the Times-Union.

www.newsweek.com...

They say he appeared intoxicated, but I'm still curious what his plan was, and if either him or the officers had even considered it a possibility that he could catch on fire. Maybe that's what he wanted. He did it right in front of the cops.

Law enforcement briefed on the investigation told the newspaper that the man had started taking off his clothes in the police station and doused himself with the flammable substance in front of officers before they tased him....

www.newsweek.com...

www.msn.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 02:54 AM
link   
"Stupid gets what stupid asks for"

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

He must have been very toxic on the inside. People who eat a lot of junk food, drink a lot of sugary beverages, and never sweat, or drink much water.. are walking Molotov cocktails.

An entire operating room of medical people were knocked unconscious by one of these toxic people, when the scalpel cut into their body.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Jason Jones is in an intensive care burn unit at Upstate University Hospital in Syracuse with grave injuries he sustained after he reportedly covered himself with hand sanitizer and began arguing with police.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 04:46 AM
link   

He must have been very toxic on the inside. People who eat a lot of junk food, drink a lot of sugary beverages, and never sweat, or drink much water.. are walking Molotov cocktails.

An entire operating room of medical people were knocked unconscious by one of these toxic people, when the scalpel cut into their body.
a reply to: carewemust

When was this? Could that explain the "spontaneous human combustion" thing?

But now, I believe you commented on the Alec Baldwin thread that he should be charged... In your opinion, the police officer, after witnessing the man douse himself with a flammable substance, and firing an electrical charge at him, be charged with a crime?

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 05:01 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

What Jason Jones did was obviously stupid and repercussions are expected, but one has to ponder the level of intelligence behind a trained officer who decided to send an electrical charge through someone who just doused themselves in a flammable substance.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 05:10 AM
link   

"I think they were afraid he was going to hurt himself,

"I think that guy's going to hurt himself. Quick! We have to electrocute him first!"

It's situations like these why we need a police force that is trained in more than shoot first and ask questions later. This man was clearly having a mental episode. If this police department had a trained mental health professional on staff, maybe this man could have been saved from being turned into a living effigy.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

"I think that guy's going to hurt himself. Quick! We have to electrocute him first!"

It's situations like these why we need a police force that is trained in more than shoot first and ask questions later. This man was clearly having a mental episode. If this police department had a trained mental health professional on staff, maybe this man could have been saved from being turned into a living effigy.

Wish I could star this post a hundred times. On point and absolutely true.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

I assume you are talking about the police officer.
Let's see what he gets for setting a person on fire.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 05:33 AM
link   
They can't afford one when they are trying to close the police forces down can they? I don't like the idea of banning police forces any more than would like them being tyrants.

I do agree we need them trained. But I don't think telling them they can't defend themselves will work.

edit on 6-11-2021 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman
What was he defending himself from?

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
a reply to: Justoneman
What was he defending himself from?

His own homophobia. I mean, the guy was naked and slathered in hand sanitizer! Definitely needed to be tasered.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 06:04 AM
link   

No , as usual folks assumed wrong.
I assume you believe it is perfectly ok to walk into a police station , take your clothes off and start rubbing an unknown substance (at the time) all over your body .
Sounds kinky , but still stupid .

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 06:09 AM
link   

I assume you believe it is perfectly ok to walk into a police station , take your clothes off and start rubbing an unknown substance (at the time) all over your body .

So you think police officer did a smart thing?

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 06:10 AM
link   

So you think police officer did a smart thing?

Logically , yes.
He didn't shoot the man .
Assunotme .

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Absolutely, it was a stupid thing to do. As for the unknown substance, you can smell hand sanitizer from 4 feet away.

I still feel that the officer could have handled the situation differently. Resorting to immediate violence is probably not the best way here. Then again, we weren't there and don't know all the details regarding the interaction and dialogue between Jason Jones and the officers. In the end they may have had valid reason for their actions.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

hand sanitisers are generally at least 70+% alcohol, he could be a vegatarian but when doused in alcoholic substance and then ignited his diet would have little to do with it.

Hand sanitizers can ignite, cause burns, experts warn workers

most of which contain isopropyl alcohol – are flammable

edit on 000000p3006America/Chicago11062021611 by UpThenDown because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman
They can't afford one when they are trying to close the police forces down can they? I don't like the idea of banning police forces any more than would like them being tyrants.

I do agree we need them trained. But I don't think telling them they can't defend themselves will work.

Ummm…defend themselves from…”I think he’s going to hurt himself”…?

If that’s the mentality of the…tase him he just doused himself with a flammable liquid…public safety officers…then…we really don’t need them out there…policing…

Folks that inept in the thinking department…are a danger to themselves…and the general public…as evidenced by their actions…

My GOD…there was nary a brain cell to be rubbed between the victim…and those attempting to…”save him from hurting himself”…

YouSir

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Kreeate

As for the unknown substance, you can smell hand sanitizer from 4 feet away.

How do we know there wasn't more that 4' between them ?
And , are you willing to stack your life , or the life of your colleagues , on what you think you smell ?
I would be more worried on what stupid was planning to do covered in an unknown (at the time) substance .
Normal folks don't usually strip to use HAND sanitizer .
And even worse, don't smear it all over the body .

edit on 11/6/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join