It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New handgun time

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I admit that I'm old school. For concealed carry, I would opt for a Smith and Wesson 442 revolver Lightweight -- only 15 ounces loaded. Sleek design, double action only. Ramped sights less likely to hang up on you Bianchi pancake. Easy profile to carry. Take it golfing.

That said, I've been well out of touch for two decades or so, but I read a lot. When I used to carry, I would have always counted on an old-faithful revolver and perhaps a speed loader or two.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I bought a Walther Creed a few years back...at a gun show, the guy wanted to get rid of it to buy something "better"...

So I took it off his hands for a hundred bucks, and I love the thing. It fits my hand like it was made for it. My only gripe was that sights weren't real great at night. Once that was fixed, it's great. I haven't run into anything it won't put down range.

My hands aren't huge, but they're not exactly small, either. This might work for you...if you can find one. Walther quit making 'em not long after I bought it.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

I knew a guy in the AF he was a medic as well and he carried a S&W revolver as a backup.

revolvers are great, when you pull the trigger it will shoot no matter what.

i really like the FN handgun but the ammo is so specialized and very expensive i just cant justify getting one.

I'm going to have to go on Monday and see if i can try all the stuff listed here

seagull i looked up the walther and it is indeed a sharp looking gun.

anything about a 40 gets to be a pain to shoot/practice

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I promise, everyone will have a conflicting opinion.

To start with, anything you carry everyday is going to get beat up. Dirt, scratches, leather abrasive, and salty sweat is hell on blued steel. Even the best Teflon finish gets beat up. Think Stainless Steel.

I have been Collecting guns all of my life,(since I was 7 years old I’m now 64) so I have a couple of 1911’s in my collection, my Ed Brown 1911 is the best of the best, but it’s not my EDC, it’s to heavy. I do take it into the back country where open carry isn’t a problem. Sometimes short and fat, the .45ACP is the best way. A 230 grain hard ball traveling at 850 FPS has proven its self in the hands of the US military around the world.

Most of the time, to and from work, I carry my 25 year old SS Walther PPK made by Interarms / Ranger of Gadsen Alabama. It’s reliable, indestructible, accurate as hell and more than a little beat up. I love it because it fits my hand like a silken glove. It’s only a .380 acp, but with the proper ammo it is my belief that the 7 rounds in my PPK would get the job done. Unlike in the movies a PPK doesn’t suppress well. Although formidable, the 95 grain .380 hollow point is subsonic right out of the box. The straight blow back action allows too much gas and thusly noise to escape at the breach for proper noise reduction.

I’m definitely not a Glock guy, Glock got their start manufacturing plastic office furniture. I’m into the classics. I once saw James Bond shoot down a helicopter with his PPK/S. LOL.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

If you haven't narrowed it down yet, I begrudgingly recommend the Glock 19 in the latest generation iteration. I am not a Glock fan, but my 76 year old lodge buddy came over last weekend and we "broke in" a new Glock 19 he had just bought. We shot many different styles and weights of 9mm that I and he had and the Glock ate it all without burping. I would recommend a loading tool for the magazines when shooting targets like we did. I don't believe the tools are very expensive.

Damn, I hate saying this but I may have to replace my Ruger LC9 carry for a Glock 19. I couldn't believe how accurate it was for a "plastic" gun and it didn't recoil as much as my Ruger, either.

Maybe the Glock "gods" have been listening to us SIG, S&W, and Ruger carriers...

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Bersa makes one of the nicest 380s I've ever shot. This is also coming from an ex walther owner. The S&W shield gets a mention from me as well for a higher caliber edc. I am partial to the .40 bit have also been thinking about getting something a little cheaper to shoot and not quite as snappy of a round in a gun for cc as they tend to not have a lot of weight to absorb the recoil. Currently own a S&W M&P .40 and it has yet to let me down.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Well, in the final analysis -- and I say this from years of experience -- you have to settle on that which feels good in your hand, looks good down the barrel, and you can hit with reasonably for the distance and situation for which you anticipate using it. I would encourage you to make a shortlist of pistols you're interested in, go to a large gunshop and shoot some of them and decide.

When I lived in the U.S., I carried a .32 Seecamp when I rode a bike, or jogged, or walked. Carried it in a belly band. It would only chamber Winchester Silver Tips, and it was a point-and-shoot, but it was like pointing your finger and saying "there. There. and There." When I hiked, I carried a S&W .357 K-Frame Nickel plated revolver. 11 1/4 inches. Good stuff. In the City, I carried a Davis .22 mag derringer in a boot holster, along with a knife in the other boot . Didn't want to make a print in the suit.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 08:07 PM
link   
1911 style, maybe a Connan?

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 08:12 PM
link   
When out & about...Mr.Glock goes with me...22 At home on my own property I carry a Remington 1875 single action....big ole long 7" barrel with the sail under it...in .45...What can I say, I wanted to be a cowboy growing up.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

The middle gun in my picture is a Smith and Wesson model 686, stainless 357 mag. It is actually my go to gun. It's old reliable. Very accurate. I've had it about 30 years. I love it.
Mine is the heavy duty. 6 rounds. I have multiple speed loaders, and belt clips for each
edit on 16-10-2021 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=26167932]visitedbythem[/post
Love the ol trusty 686 6”

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Fatboy527

i carried a Sig for 6 years and i dropped it in the sand, fell in mud, dropped on the road from a moving truck and still kept on trucking.

but at the time i didn't have to pay for repairs

The reason i want a Glock is the reason I like revolvers is that when you pull the trigger the fires.

I'm pretty good at loading a revolver fast but having a clip of 10-20 rounds is alot better than 6.

NY is so backed up with CCW paperwork it took

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I carry a G19 Gen 4.

Works for me. Has good capacity. Simple operation. Safe.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I wonder how many government agents are reading this thread... and taking notes...

We live in scary times.

Just saying....

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 10:40 PM
link   

I have a smaller frame and hands. I CC the Walther PPS 9mm and I'll take the Pepsi challenge on a range any day against a Glock.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 10:48 PM
link   
If you are going to carry a firearm, carry what you are comfortable shooting. Some people feel comfortable with autos, and some with revolvers.

I ask this one question.... if you are being actively shot at, what handgun would you trust with your life?

That is the ultimate litmus test.

edit on 16-10-2021 by madmac5150 because: Yarr

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I'm not a handgun guy, but I've had this for 30 years

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_Wesson_Model_5906

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Listen...30 yrs of my old 685-4"..in the back did me in.

Always was semis too as EDC...but I'm older now, don't move so fast, and I'm only concerned if anything in my face has me up against crap.

I'm gonna win.
PS I have never had to draw my weapon...and I hope to die ..without having to.

Peace✌️

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

i had a .38 SW specials in the AF

they can take a beating and keep on ticking

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 11:28 PM
link   
For CC I currently tote a S&W shield in 9 with the extended magazine so my pinky doesn't dangle. I like the aggressive texture on the grip for reliable draws.

A couple of years ago I wanted a new pistol for OC in the woods. I know quite a few bear and cougar hunters, and since those animals would be the apex where I would be on the move I asked them what they carry for a last chance/hail mary gun. Three out of 5 carried the Springfield XD in 10mm. Of the other two, one carried a 41 Mag and the other a 44. I tried a couple models and now carry an XDM. In Griz country you never walk without fear, but I feel prepared.
edit on 10/16/2021 by Montana because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join