It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New handgun time

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

I ask this one question.... if you are being actively shot at, what handgun would you trust with your life?

Either one of my handguns--the one I reach first--one is an utterly reliable SW .38spl, that belonged to my Dad while he was in the air force back in the day.

...and my Walther Creed. I've not got as many rounds through it as I do the Smith, but not one issue with it.

Ideally? I'd go with my dbl. barrel 20 gauge coach.

As an old Texas Ranger, whose name I can not recall, once said, a pistol is fine in a fight, 'til I get to my rifle (or shotgun).

posted on Oct, 17 2021 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

I ask this one question.... if you are being actively shot at, what handgun would you trust with your life?

Either one of my handguns--the one I reach first--one is an utterly reliable SW .38spl, that belonged to my Dad while he was in the air force back in the day.

...and my Walther Creed. I've not got as many rounds through it as I do the Smith, but not one issue with it.

Ideally? I'd go with my dbl. barrel 20 gauge coach.

As an old Texas Ranger, whose name I can not recall, once said, a pistol is fine in a fight, 'til I get to my rifle (or shotgun).

How many gun guys ever ask that question?

What would you want in your hand, if you are being shot at?

I would want a firearm that feels comfortable to shoot, is reliable, and has good stopping power.

Carry what feels comfortable.

posted on Oct, 17 2021 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Wonder how many here would consider owning an original Luger. I know the prices are through the roof, and one 1917 DWM Navy Luger (mint) I was looking at was going for around $6k with all accessories. I also saw a 1939 Police Eagle/C Mauser Banner Luger, complete with holster and mag for around $3k.

It is certainly for investment purposes as well, as they steadily increase in value.

Wondered , say if you wanted to invest in a weapon like that, and you were confident you could resell for a profit ... would it also be a weapon you could heavily rely on and consider carrying?

Just wanted to run this out there and see what you experts recommend.

posted on Oct, 17 2021 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

I've fired two different Lugers which were uber-owned by my friend's fathers. All I could think was they were overly complex and not intuitive. Other than the novelty value, they are a skip, in my very limited opinion.

posted on Oct, 17 2021 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Heck, a while back I looked around for the smallest handgun I could find that would pack the most punch with the ammunition it shoots. I came up with the Glock 33, which fires .357 sig cartridges. Stone cold reliable, pretty darn accurate even with the small sight radius, and it is in no way, shape, or form a burden to carry. Matter of fact, I am rarely ever more than arm's length away from it, excepting only when I am taking a shower. I have a holster that clips to my belt and I carry it openly around the house and in the yard when outside.

Just make sure to use a mag with the extended bottom. It will fit in your hand much MUCH better that way.

IMHO.

posted on Oct, 17 2021 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Why not?

If there's a gun out there that's been thoroughly de-bugged, it'd be the Luger. Been around for a century plus, in one form or another.

9mm. Supposedly they're very easy to shoot, though I've never shot one. Don't know anyone who has...

I'd buy one in a heart beat, if I could afford it...can't, so oh, well.

posted on Oct, 17 2021 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

i carried the same M 9 they are indeed very robust

eta: i go have a Mossberg 20ga. on the shelf and a bunch of rifles in a gun safe but have you ever fired a gun indoors?

my hearing is SHOT(LOL) from shooting close to walls or inside with rifles'

edit on 17-10-2021 by penroc3 because: cant type

posted on Oct, 17 2021 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Yes, I have...and regretted it instantly!!!

...it was painful. Ears rang for a week.

posted on Oct, 17 2021 @ 09:38 PM
link   

apparently there is a huge class action law suite against the military for providing inadequate ear protection

i have a high pitched noise when it gets quite that hasn't gone away, they told me i damaged my high range hearing.

i would say more damage was done being close to other shooting and being near the end of their barrel

just an opinion and i could be wrong

LAST EDIT:

im going to the store tomorrow to look at a few things. i wish compact guns fit my hand, they always feel like the recoil will pop it out of my hand because i cant get a good grip on it
edit on 17-10-2021 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2021 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I daily carry a Springfield Hellcat and yeah the micro's are not the easiest to shoot but very nice to carry. Hardly there unless I am carrying with my light attached. Yes its easier to shoot with a 13 or 15rd extended since you can get a full grip but then again its like most things....all about practice.

The more you shoot it the less of a big deal it is. That being said if I just want to go to the range and blast away for fun I will take something else with me.

Comfortability with it is key and sometimes the only way to have that is lots of range time. Good luck on the seach.

posted on Oct, 18 2021 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: OwwMyHead

i went with the Glock 19

silver slide with cut outs and a normal color for the rest.

i just felt so nice in my hand and unlike a 1911 I don't have to change any 'furniture' on it.

got a decent deal 650 when all said and done with tax and all the other fees

I live in NY so i have to wait the mandatory 3 day waiting period.

the one small complaint i have is the trigger safety but that's what ever because if I'm pulling a gun out someone or something is getting shot.

and i don't have any kids running around so the saftey mechinism isnt that big of a worry,

posted on Oct, 18 2021 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The 1911 is a great gun but I don't like them for cc. The ideal cc weapon is a little smaller/lighter than usual. That is not the best idea for something with the kick of a .45. Bigger and heavier helps control the kick but that doesn't work well with the conceal part of conceal carry. Bulky is not a desirable quality in a cc weapon.

For guys with bigger hands I recommend a slim weapon with Pachmayr grips. These are the best I have found on the market and are very reasonable priced. You can get a variety of products from tactical grip sleeves to textured replacement grips. For a simple fit/comfort issue I recommend the grip sleeve. It will make the grip a little wider and has a surface texture that is very easy to hang on to. It is also easily removable so you can change weapons, provided they are similar in size, any time you want.
edit on 18-10-2021 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2021 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I've carried a variety of handguns. Walther PPQs, PDPs, and CCPs are nice.

I'm currently carrying a Baretta M9A3. They're nice. It's a full size service pistol though. That being said it's Vertec grip fits nicely in hand. If you like the larger grip of the 92fs/M9 the A3 comes with a thicker grip than can easily be swapped out. It's also a bit more grippy than the Vertec grip.

Glocks are decent guns. Caniks are nice.

1911s are classy, but if you get one make sure it's a good one that's not going to have issues every time you take it to the range.

The Sig P365s are nice as well.

People will say buy a Glock and then mod the hell oit it, but a good gun should be good when you buy it.

Really though it's going to come down to you, the purpose for buying a pistol, and what feels good in your hand.

Is the weight comfortable? Can you manage the recoil? Can you maintain a comfortable grip?

If you're just going to shoot it at the range, then concealability isn't really going to matter as much. Just get you a nice case to carry it back and forth.

Nevermind, I just saw that you went with Glock. Hope you enjoy it.

posted on Oct, 18 2021 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I like my G19, it fits my hand size almost perfect, even tho it feels nicer with extended clips

In close it's quite accurate

posted on Oct, 18 2021 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Yeah, I have a couple of friends who are, or were, involved in that class action.

I've no idea of it's status.

My nightstand gun has a set of earplugs with it...should in the event of a home intruder, I have the chance to put 'em in. It only takes a second or two--and I sleep at the far end of the house--the dogs would have alerted me. Hopefully. If not, ringing ears for the win!!

posted on Oct, 18 2021 @ 03:20 PM
link   

no ear pro in the house for me i want to hear everything

i would just wait for the person to open the door walk in to my room and start shooting. Most people run once they see their buddy get lit up and take the room temp challenge and if they aren't they will have a bad as well.

the *click clack* of a shot gun is usually enough to scare people away

but in a few days ill have my new night time piece

posted on Oct, 18 2021 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

I learned to shoot handguns on my dad's SW 38 special, it can't spit lead like a glock, but it FEELS good, the mechanisms all feel alive and responsive compared to the glock... smells like 50+ years of gun oil and shoots straight as a rail even with iron sights

It's amazingly easy to clean and use, and is utterly dependable. It may some day be my go-to

posted on Oct, 18 2021 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliquandro

this is just for the range and at home.

it will more than likely spend more time in my room than anywhere else.

but there is something to be said about older nicely made guns, made to last and made to work. Older guns go for unbelievable prices at actions.

posted on Oct, 18 2021 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I'd get a simple revolver, a .38 special plus P. Taurus, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Charter all make them. Small, easily concealable. Kimber and Colt make higher end ones now.
Most shootings occur within 10 feet and only two shots are fired. Glocks are the most returned handgun. I just have a thing against the trigger safety, honestly.
Now for a SHTF purchase, a higher capacity automatic does make sense. CZ 75 would be my first choice.

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Highly recommend the Glock 19! I have a Gen 3 and it is reliable as all get-out. No reason to think they would be any less reliable with the Gen 4/5 too

9mm is a solid caliber, minimal recoil, easy to keep the sights on target and fire as fast as you can accurately shoot

If you are carrying for defense, I would stay away from the 1911 if only for its low magazine capacity. Otherwise its a solid gun, solid caliber, won't let you down. Big and heavy to carry though. G22 is a wonderful weapon, and yet I'd still recommend the 9mm over the .40 S&W. Mainly is magazine capacity, although that .40 is ringing your ears (or worse) if you have to fire it without hear pro. The G17 would be the 9mm alternative to the duty size G22. G23 is the same size as the G19, and you can even swap uppers if you desire to change calibers.
edit on 10/19/2021 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join