It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions on Baptism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I'd like to get baptized soon. First, I am doing some research on the matter.

There are two forms of baptism, I discovered; spirit baptism and water baptism. The spirit baptism is one believes in salvation through the blood of christ alone, and not by any works, aka the law of moses. As such, once some believes in their heart, they receive the holy spirit in spirit baptism.

The other baptism is the water baptism. Some say it is symbolic of spirit baptism, or getting cleaned of sin and not necessary for salvation, although, if a believer, one would be essentially disobeying the bibles' command to be baptized.

I can't overlook Jesus' own works in John 3:3 Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” and more on point, John 3:5 “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

So, I will be baptized as assurance, and why not do it? I don't have a reason not to.

I was baptized as an infant, so maybe I'm good, but re-baptizing seems like a genuinely good idea.

Now, there are questions concerning baptism and the protocols, for instance, in whose name should I be baptized in, Jesus, or the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost?

I have more questions, but for now this will do. Any advice is appreciated.

edit on 21-9-2021 by TTU77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 09:08 AM
link   
John baptized Jesus in the Jordan River , if that helps .

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

That's another 'concern'. I see some people baptize in pools, which might be chlorinated, which doesn't sit right with me somehow. I'd prefer a "natural" baptism in a natural body of water, but I wonder if I'm being to picky or pedantic even.

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TTU77

Just follow you heart and commune with God. Don't overthink this. God loves you more than you could understand. Right now He's reading your thread, shaking His head and laughing at all your concerns, because no matter what you choose, He's going to delight in His goofy, confused child whom He loves with all the Universe.

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Christianity has three “religious” protocols, communion, marriage and baptism
It has nothing to do with the Mosaic covenant, as you stated, not religion although, these three seem to stand above the requirements of “faith” only, somehow.

You are also right in my opinion in Spirit baptism, automatic when a believer accepts Jesus, so we are on track up until now

Chlorine, fluoride in the water?
If that’s a concern, thinking you don’t really get it, it’s not about the water, who does it or where, it’s all about where your heart is at in relation to your faith in Jesus
Baptised as a baby, I know some who accept that and are comfortable to go with that, me personally, I wanted to make it a conscious decision myself though I was christened as a baby

I went with Father, Son and Holy Spirit, very conventional and as I thought/think, scriptural, but insignificant details, it’s all about where your heart is at as opposed to the ceremony

For what it’s worth

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TheMirrorSelf

Oh yeah, and that as well, good call

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: TTU77

originally posted by: Gothmog

That's another 'concern'. I see some people baptize in pools, which might be chlorinated, which doesn't sit right with me somehow. I'd prefer a "natural" baptism in a natural body of water, but I wonder if I'm being to picky or pedantic even.

Doesn't matter.
Speak to several ministers .
Some still baptize in a local creek .
Things were different back then .
Not a lot of pools , and no chlorine .
edit on 9/21/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheMirrorSelf

Just follow you heart and commune with God. Don't overthink this. God loves you more than you could understand. Right now He's reading your thread, shaking His head and laughing at all your concerns, because no matter what you choose, He's going to delight in His goofy, confused child whom He loves with all the Universe.

Best post on thread.

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheMirrorSelf

Thanks so much brother! This means more than I can say, even almost brought a tear to my eye. blessings!

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Why not be baptized in all three's name? The father, the son,, and the holy ghost.

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 10:15 AM
link   

baptism is a choice, infants cannot choose!

I think it is great that you are being baptized!

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: .

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The idea that water baptism is effective in its own right is the more Catholic approach.
I take the view that it's a visible symbol of having already received the Spirit. As in the story of Peter and Cornelius in Acts ch10- "These people have received the Spirit, so why shouldn't they be baptised?"
It's a symbol of transition, for your own benefit and the benefit of the people around you, which makes it psychologically valuable, but don't get hung up on it.

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I've also heard that the spirit baptism is when the holy spirit in dwells the believer, but, there is another baptism where the holy spirit pervades over the believer, outside of him, more directly guiding him in their walks in life. I'm not sure if this is water baptism, or a different kind of baptism, like a postor or preaching laying on of ones hands over the believer.

Does anyone have any inisight on this, aka, two baptisms, one inside and one outside?

I made a dj set with these words from a video I extracted on youtube. I'll see if I can find it to help clarify my question.

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Interesting. Adding this hear to easily come back to.

edit on 21-9-2021 by TTU77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TTU77
I'd like to get baptized soon. First, I am doing some research on the matter.

There are two forms of baptism, I discovered; spirit baptism and water baptism. The spirit baptism is one believes in salvation through the blood of christ alone, and not by any works, aka the law of moses. As such, once some believes in their heart, they receive the holy spirit in spirit baptism.

The other baptism is the water baptism. Some say it is symbolic of spirit baptism, or getting cleaned of sin and not necessary for salvation, although, if a believer, one would be essentially disobeying the bibles' command to be baptized.

I can't overlook Jesus' own works in John 3:3 Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” and more on point, John 3:5 “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

So, I will be baptized as assurance, and why not do it? I don't have a reason not to.

I was baptized as an infant, so maybe I'm good, but re-baptizing seems like a genuinely good idea.

Now, there are questions concerning baptism and the protocols, for instance, in whose name should I be baptized in, Jesus, or the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost?

I have more questions, but for now this will do. Any advice is appreciated.

Greets! Since you put this question out there on a public forum like this you are bound to get a lot of varying responses about baptism.

Firstly, your question about in whose name you should be baptized? Let scripture answer that:

"Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit."-Matthew 28:19.

When you understand what it means to be baptized "in the name of the Father and of the Son and the holy spirit" you will understand that infant baptism is not acceptable or valid in God's eyes. It is a personal decision you make, and it is a symbol of your dedication to Jehovah God to do his will. No one can come to God accept through his son, Jesus Christ. And one must accept the operation of the holy spirit into their lives.

A baby who has no thinking ability or choice in the matter cannot decide for themselves in the matter. So God does not look with any favor upon the baptism of infants, or view a baptism of a person who is unable or unwilling or unlearned enough to fully understand what that baptism entails as valid. It is the beginning of a new life to live your life no longer for yourself but you dedicate your life now to do God's will. You put all your desires in the backseat and God takes first place in your life. Everything you do should be with God and his name first and foremost in your life. For baptism means you are living no longer to do your own will, or the will of the world, or the Devil, but to do the will of God:

"He died for all so that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for him who died for them and was raised up."-2 Corinthians 5:15.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah."-Romans 14:8.

For further investigation:

Why Get Baptised?

Are You Ready For Baptism?

And one last video on:

The Road to Baptism

What a wonderful journey! The best one in life.
edit on 21-9-2021 by QFlux because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Your mother's waters broke over your head when you were born. Hence, you are already baptised

Everything else is just a symbolic representation of rebirth

Baptism by the hands of a Church is not necessary for heaven, or anything else. Regardless of what you may/might be told

Don't read too much into it

Just do what feels right for you and makes you happy

You won't be judged for getting things like this wrong, when your intention was just to try become a better person

It is more about affirming a place and time in your life where you started a journey towards becoming a better version of yourself

Everything else is just a process of whichever system you choose to join

You can baptise yourself and get the same (creative) affinity as any Church, if you believe in God, but don't trust the Churches of man

I had a friend as a child who was non-religious, from a non-religious family, (but, who believed in some type of God) who was worried about the "what if .." of losing his soul, after he learned of the notion he needed to be baptised to go to heaven, if there was one

I baptised him by a simple touch to the forehead and just the reassurance put him at peace

He then felt free to follow his own path and ask his own questions, without fear pushing him towards something that may not be right for him. Like religion

A friend of mine had a baby (fittingly named "Adonis") and was worried about the possible negative implications of aligning him to a Church, for his future

I baptised him, under my protection, and gave him his freedom. Until she, or he, worked out what they wanted to do and what was best for them

He is now 8, attending a Christian School and they are looking at going to Greece to get him baptised in the Orthodox Church

My point is ...

You don't have to worry so much

It is more about the affirmation, than the process

The process can be whatever gives you confidence in the affirmation

And it can honestly be done by anyone. As long as it gives you belief and faith in your decision, under your interpretation of God

It is only limited by who and how it can be done, by the specifications of particular Churches and denominations

All the best on your journey
edit on 21 9 21 by Compendium because: Added something

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Baptism does not add one thing to your salvation which is by faith alone on Christ.

But lot of us had some major changes when we did it.

Go for it man.

edit on 9/22/2021 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

top topics

join