It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Of Educated Idiots and Trigger Warnings

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I briefly listened to some Professor Griff (former member of Public Enemy) conspiracies this morning about hip hop (I've listened to it at length before) and it got me thinking...and this thread topic is an example:

Just like the conspiracy to end conscious rap and bring into the mainstream gangsta rap and change the people... possible CIA mission... could the social media influencer be the evolution of that same secret government plan? Like influencer, trigger warnings, social justice warrior, woke, trolling, friends, followers, unfollowing, subscribers, sharing, blocking, stories, streams, streaming, add a follower, remove a follower, likes, selfie, hiding, archive, memes....

What are all these words and behaviors that control us? What do they mean? And what do they do to us?

Is your Instagram story, really telling a story?

Is trigger warning the new Parental Advisory sticker? That sticker came from hip hop musicians fighting for their freedom of speech and the sticker was the settlement with the Supreme Court and Tipper Gore. Now 30 years later people are putting that sticker on themselves. Trigger warning.

S&F

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 02:27 PM
link   

This song seems apropos..

I think that trigger warnings can serve a purpose, but have never viewed them as something that should be widely used. There are genuinely some stories that relay some of the true darkness that can exist on planet Earth.

As the article states though, these have begun to be used extensively to essentially state "this is something you might disagree with." In an age where different opinions alone are cause for discomfort for some.. I believe this does indeed serve more as a tool to fortify echo chamber walls than break them down. Which is so far beyond "trauma" as to render the warnings useless at best, and highly detrimental at worst.

They also exist in a myriad of forms other than just the phrase "trigger warning," many of which end up being subconscious. A lot of information will hit the brain before we really can parse it, like headlines, and that will inform our position as we continue (or if we continue) to consume the more in-depth information.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

CIA/FBI totally infiltrated hip hop music. There is no way around it.

Was that done with "influencers"? I don't know. That could be homegrown naturally happening stuff, or it could be funded by a wealthy person like China seeking to sow discord. In days of yore, there was some level of vetting of celebrity, through unofficial means, that would keep nonsense like that from happening. It seems like the "red scare" stuff where we jailed folks for possibly being commies could use a bit of a revival today. Like...how does Lebron wanting a movie to succeed in Chinese markets cause him to throw the US and its citizens and values under the bus?

Thats a different topic int he end, and it likely ends up with rifles and people shooting as a resolution.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

By "educated idiot" I presume you mean professionals who earned their respective licenses by substituting conventional common sense with regurgitated textbook theories that look good in print but fail to account for real world logistics? Like engineering a swarm of killer bees so they can test their antihistamine formula.

edit on 16-9-2021 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I once thought being an academic would be a great lifestyle with all the nubile coeds frolicking in the quad, ripe for the pickins. After gradschool, Taught at a JC for 3 semesters; they can't pay enough to tolerate that BS. But the coeds, drugs and nonstop parties...were a nice diversion!!

You can buy a Phd. on line for $75 bucks.

"time to make the donuts"
edit on 16-9-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

I am an accounting director. No tertiary education for this work. I regularly come across people in my field that i'd consider an educated idiot, mostly because they have a BS and are morons.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 03:28 PM
link   

The BS is a dead giveaway I'd imagine. Practically advertising their IQ at that point.

LOL

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 03:28 PM
link   
It's kind of funny, I have watched Shapiro be all kinds of triggered, WAP was funny..I agree it's garbage music though. Yesteday it was some chick at an event, with "peg the....cant remember, but he was very focused on Peg, or pegging, because it's a sex act..apparently.

Poor Ben..so uptight!!..lol

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

I generally tend to roast him over the divide and conquer nonsense.

He's mostly just feeding his base. They all do. No one follows the quiet guy that makes sense. Its why i follow Shapiro...a good magnifying glass both for the issues I like to pay attention to, and the behaviors I don't want to participate in. With the latter, its more leading by example.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I generally tend to roast him over the divide and conquer nonsense.

He's mostly just feeding his base. They all do. No one follows the quiet guy that makes sense. Its why i follow Shapiro...a good magnifying glass both for the issues I like to pay attention to, and the behaviors I don't want to participate in. With the latter, its more leading by example.

For sure, they all are feeding their base.

I haven't watched him lately, other than the few clips I mentioned, as they were put out there. In the past though, I had a friend that watched him, some things he has said, did resonate with me, common sense stuff.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 04:41 PM
link   

His views on abortion...im 100% in line with. And he debates the topic extraordinarily well. Same as Crowder, who i don't follow...but when he actually tries to have real debate, hes just fantastic.

I'd not expect to find myself agreeing with most of what any of them have to say. The preach to a base. Almost all of us have viewpoints that are much more nuanced that you will find in a party platform. The one thing I will say for Shapiro: he was not afraid to call out Trump for his BS, while still supporting the things worth supporting like economic and foreign policy.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I've noticed that no one likes to hear about your accomplishments directly although they will be much more comfortable hearing about someone else's accomplishments through you. It's like they like thinking about achievement, but don't like being confronted by someone who has actually achieved.

For example, no one wants to hear me talk about my achievements, but they will endlessly enjoy hearing my parents talk about them *while I am standing right there*.

You can go to forums where people talk about stories/video games/movies, and people will gripe about playing the hero as if anyone wants to play the average guy
edit on 16-9-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Thats because we prefer humility in general.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Yes and no. It was different not so long ago. People liked the hero's journey. They liked seeing themselves as the hero. Now it's more fashionable to tear the hero down, and they're busy trying to portray the female hero as someone who never has to undergo the hero's journey because the only reason she doesn't start awesome is because someone/something is holding her down; otherwise, she already knows everything she needs to.

I think this is a symptom of the problem you are talking about. If people aspire to achieve for themselves, then they're taught they've done something wrong or cheated. And the only people we are allowed to think can achieve are the ones who are held down and oppressed otherwise they always would have been wonderful and awesome.
edit on 16-9-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I find trigger warnings ridiculous and most people, other than Vets, police or fireman, who complain of PTSD to be equally or even more ridiculous. Canada day or the 4th of July, there's fireworks. I kinda have a "problem" with loud explosions coming out of nowhere, but I am not going to complain. My PTSD is not everybody else's problem, it's mine, I don't expect concessions or pandering or the show to be stopped. I just throw on some headphones, run music and watch the light show (and duck every once in a while when we get the really loud explosion that you can feel).

This insane cause of pandering to everyone else's issues has to stop, it's counterproductive and simply a crutch for weak minded and emotionally impotent to lean on. The little weak wankers need to man-up, join the military, get some thinker skin and maybe some skills that will help them, and everyone around them.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 07:50 PM
link   

If that was the case, hip hop, MMA, the NBA, pro wrestling, and Letters to Penthouse would all be unprofitable blips. I don't buy the ideology that most people value humility because evidence points to a very large swath of society which wallows in and is drawn to arrogant bragging of accomplishments. It's the same rationale at play behind men gathering crowds of men around them to tell about the piece of tail they bagged the weekend before or women fawning over the estrogen dipped equivalent seen on shows like Sex and the City.

Humility's value to the average human being is grossly overestimated in these modern times.

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

You know why most of the people who produce in this country are not fond of hiphop, NBA, NFL culture? Or why Connor is the most hated MMA fighter?

Because most people, in normal situations and normal upbringing, prefer humility. You can see this the world over. I read an hour of comments last week about how Europeans who buy upgraded versions of cars remove the gold lettering, etc, to look more humble to their peers.

In the US, this is really based in our puritan beginning. In puritan times, the leaders were seen as parents (they applied the bible oddly), and put rules in to maintain this class division. So normal folks were disallowed from dressing to nice. They'd go so far as to tax things like frills to prevent the normal folks from purchasing them.

Rhode Island was an exception to many of the blue laws in the rest of the colonies, and was basically party central. Comparatively.

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I don't think anyone ever claimed trigger warnings alleviated distress.

Trigger warnings are there to tell people to go elsewhere because they might find what's coming deeply hurtful.

In my book, that's common courtesy.

But, hey, it's something else for people to get angry about.

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese

I don't think anyone ever claimed trigger warnings alleviated distress.

Trigger warnings are there to tell people to go elsewhere because they might find what's coming deeply hurtful.

In my book, that's common courtesy.

But, hey, it's something else for people to get angry about.

Did you read the linked article? I know its Shapiro....but it has factual information about the basis of "Trigger warnings", and its absolutely not what you say.

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 01:24 PM
link   
My old grandpappy gave me a trigger warning once, may he rest in peace!

"Don't put your finger on the trigger unless you intend to shoot something"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join