It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Of Educated Idiots and Trigger Warnings

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Fair warning: the source for this is DailyWire. I like Shapiro, mostly because he challenges my comfort with some of my viewpoints.

Link To Shapiro

Snippet:

“The consensus, based on 17 studies using a range of media, including literature passages, photographs, and film clips: Trigger warnings do not alleviate emotional distress. They do not significantly reduce negative affect or minimize intrusive thoughts, two hallmarks of PTSD. Notably, these findings hold for individuals with and without a history of trauma,” the Chronicle reported.

What the above indicates furthers findings from 2015 that state that "Trigger warnings" have been misused at the end user stage to hide from uncomfortable information, as well as making PTSD triggers a more 'hyperaware" state with frequent reminders.

The people pushing this most, it seems, have been university professors, where young adults have found an environment that shields them from all that is uncomfortable to help them with what seems to be worsening mental health among students. Think about that: our most educated people, when faced with rising depression among their students, does not look for what has changed (curriculum, job prospects, social pressure) and instead tried to change what has always been and never an issue before.

When I was in high school I took biology 2 honors my soph year. My instructor, the offensive line coach and my mentor at that time, told the class one day to be aware that in college they will be confronted with all manner of educated idiots. That comment has made more and more sense as I have aged. This...this ridiculousness is only a highlight of it.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 12:37 PM
link   
For decades, every year in colleges saw a small fractional increase in student brain deficiencies 🙂

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 12:39 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The amount of effort our society puts into minimizing stress, eliminating challenge or trying to not offend anyone has really had a detrimental effect on the younger generations. People are woefully unprepared for life's challenges... the stress, the disappointment etc. And, when faced with a situation that could induce stress or be a trigger, they act completely irrationally.

Conversely, there are definitely some who have legitimate PTSD and need to be cautious on potential stimulus that can have them relapse. This is definitely not the majority.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MDDoxs

Not only that, but those same wilting flowers have developed an attack plan to throw against those who have risen to life's challenges and succeeded on their own merits and hard work: privilege

Instead of celebrating accomplishments and striving to work towards them, it's easier to dismiss the accomplishments of others and whine until someone pities you and gives you free crap because you exist.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Since you made this thread it would seem as though they are working.....just saying

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 01:13 PM
link   

link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

I had no idea you were educated...

link   

Not only that, but those same wilting flowers have developed an attack plan to throw against those who have risen to life's challenges and succeeded on their own merits and hard work: privilege
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Agreed, it is like some kind of odd self defense mechanism. Its not longer fight or flight, but some form of entitlement posturing.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Instead of celebrating accomplishments and striving to work towards them, it's easier to dismiss the accomplishments of others and whine until someone pities you and gives you free crap because you exist.

Come on man,
You didn't build that....

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 01:23 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: MDDoxs

The amount of effort our society puts into minimizing stress, eliminating challenge or trying to not offend anyone has really had a detrimental effect on the younger generations. People are woefully unprepared for life's challenges... the stress, the disappointment etc. And, when faced with a situation that could induce stress or be a trigger, they act completely irrationally.

Conversely, there are definitely some who have legitimate PTSD and need to be cautious on potential stimulus that can have them relapse. This is definitely not the majority.

In the context of this article, that we see Conservatism treated like actual Nazism on college campuses makes sense. No one has PTSD from conservative viewpoints. The need to protect oneself from a viewpoint divergent to your own speaks purely to the misuse of a concept to silence a viewpoint...while somehow gaslighting yourself into believing you are a victim.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Who? Morons behind the scenes trying to control people? Yes, they are working VERY hard.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   
We used to call them over-educated idiots. People who have little common sense and lots of schooling, people who can menorize words but cannot comprehend how to use them properly if out of the teachers exact explanation. That relates to misapplying evidence to make it fit your beliefs.

Just think of how many people misapply evidence in this new world, the idiots run the world.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 01:33 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 01:33 PM
link   

In the context of this article, that we see Conservatism treated like actual Nazism on college campuses makes sense. No one has PTSD from conservative viewpoints. The need to protect oneself from a viewpoint divergent to your own speaks purely to the misuse of a concept to silence a viewpoint...while somehow gaslighting yourself into believing you are a victim.

It appears to me as passive aggressiveness to suppress the contrary viewpoint. The trick is, when one person does it, it is not very effective. When a large group or even an entire demographic does it, it becomes a woke movement. Right now, this movement has developed this approach that not only under prepares them for the real world and its challenges, but as you suggest, drowns out opposing view points or cancels them outright.

God help us if we go past a tipping point where the majority of people resolve differences or challenges this way...humanity might be doomed.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 01:37 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 01:38 PM
link   

“The amount of effort our society puts into minimizing stress, eliminating challenge or trying to not offend anyone has really had a detrimental effect on the younger generations. People are woefully unprepared for life's challenges... the stress, the disappointment etc. And, when faced with a situation that could induce stress or be a trigger, they act completely irrationally.”

Couldn’t agree more. Kinda…depressing.

How ‘bout a good joke?! So a Pollok, a WOP and a Mick walk into a bar…

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 01:43 PM
link   
ATTENTION

THIS IS NOT THE MUD PIT

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE.
edit on 16-9-2021 by DrumsRfun because: spelling

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I think to distill behavior to this point requires something like college, where can much more easily divorce traditional viewpoints from daily life. Kids are not only most prone to wanting to see "other ways" of doing things, they are (often for the first time ever) separated from family and the primary influences on this traditional viewpoint.

In the world at large, family units more or less stay intact. To change that would require actual war. You likely have seen it....but the video where parents are upset and the mayor threatens to arrest an entire school board over the gross sexualization of their kids speaks pretty loudly on how folks feel about this.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join