It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet or something hit Jupiter

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 04:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
The Shoemaker-Levy 9 impacts left visable evidence in the atmosphere of Jupiter. This video does not. Could this be a thruster firing on the Space-X capsule or other Earth orbital object that happened to occure when the video was being made?

The way it seems to maintain size but wiggle around and not leave any disturbance in the Jovian atmosphere seems strange to me.

It would be similar to this but on a larger scale.

Ues but wasn't the video from Showmaker Levy much higher resolution because didn't NASA already have a probe in route

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Ummm…Okay…two things…

You state that it was German astronomer Harald Paleske…yet in the vid it says Brazilian astronomer Jose Luis Periera…
Who captured the image…

Secondly…when the hell did the moon Io…io…(eye O)…get a name change to LO…I could have sworn that it was always spelled and pronounced Io…io…(eye O)…not lo…LO…(Low)…

Things that make you go…hmmm…

YouSir

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 05:40 AM
link   

The video I posted was visable light. The video you just posted is visable light at 30. The video at about 45 is a simulation and the one after that is thermal imaging.

I chose the video I posted because even though it is computer enhanced, it is closest to the video in question in the op.
Hubble was used but I was not able to locate a simple video from NASA without a long drownout historical elplaniation.

Consider a comparison to this video of an Apollo Saturn separation starting at about 30. It is looking from the LEM storage area up to the base of the Service Moduel at separation.

If the op video is of a maneuvering thruster and not an impact, it stilll is an amazing video.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: SoundisVibration

originally posted by: musicismagic

What's the black spot ?

The solar eclipse from the moon, Lo

Io, pronounced "eye-oh" (that's a capital i )

edit on 16/9/2021 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

No it wasn't. Why would you think that? Bright, yes. Large impact, certainly not.

a reply to: YouSir

Jupiter is big, bright, and dynamic. Lots of amateur astronomers watch it. Just think something got lost in translation, as there's videos and images from both astronomers mentioned.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I wonder how many times Jupiter has saved Earth by snatching up Rouges like this .

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm…Okay…two things…

You state that it was German astronomer Harald Paleske…yet in the vid it says Brazilian astronomer Jose Luis Periera…
Who captured the image…

Secondly…when the hell did the moon Io…io…(eye O)…get a name change to LO…I could have sworn that it was always spelled and pronounced Io…io…(eye O)…not lo…LO…(Low)…

Things that make you go…hmmm…

YouSir

FWIW I just copied and posted that info,I believe it was from spaceweather.com and its archive on September 14th I should have pointed that out.

Not to mention it was the middle of the night full of insomnia so I might have been a little wonky

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Well that was pretty cool! I wonder if any info will come out on if this object was being tracked and how large it really was.

That had to be a massive explosion.

Maybe it came out the other side undetected. Isn't Jupiter a big ball of gas?

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Outer layers of Jupiter are gas, which is why we call it a gas giant, but the pressure gets so high inside that it probably has a layer of liquid metallic hydrogen and helium, which may or may not surround a solid core. We just don't know if it has a solid core or not. Whatever is inside, the high pressure and density would really slow down something trying to travel through it.

Jupiter’s Core

Jupiter’s composition is more of a mystery than anything else. The accepted theory holds that it consists of a dense core made of a mixture of elements, the core is thought to be surrounded by a layer of liquid metallic hydrogen and helium, then the outer layer is to be dominated by molecular hydrogen. The core is often speculated to be rocky. It wasn’t until 1997 that the existence of the core was even theorized. Gravitational measurements were taken, indicating a mass in the neighborhood of 12 to 45 times the Earth’s mass, so the proposed core accounts for about 3–15% of the total mass of the planet. The presence of a planetary core follows accepted knowledge of planetary formation. According to this knowledge base, Jupiter would have had to form a rocky or icy core with enough mass in order to capture such a high percentage of gasses from the early solar nebula. Scientists admit that the planet may lack a core at this time due to the high heat and as hot liquid metallic hydrogen mixed with the molten core, carrying it to higher levels of the planet’s interior.

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Well Jupiter is Zaus,. Looks like someone tried taking a pop at him with a pea shooter...

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: wlee48868

Did you mean "Zeus"?

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Hello.. little bit off topic.. i am new to astronomy and have a amateurish telescope at home. But what kind of a telescop you need to get such a view of Jupiter if İ may ask? Thanks..
edit on 17-9-2021 by deccal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The insane part of that video is that fireball/explosion is earth size.

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: deccal

There are a handful of threads already, but to answer without much thread drift, check out a local astronomy club or university first and make sure it's something you enjoy. Telescopes and all the peripherals can get rather pricey rather quickly. For most casual observing a solid pair of binoculars may even be a better investment.

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: deccal
Hello.. little bit off topic.. i am new to astronomy and have a amateurish telescope at home. But what kind of a telescop you need to get such a view of Jupiter if İ may ask? Thanks..

Not really off topic IMO since it was photographed by an amateur photographer, José Luis Pereira. It is a 275mm reflector telescope, seen in the image below:

Amateurs Spot New Impact Flash at Jupiter

“For me it was a moment of great emotion as I have been looking for a record of this event for many years,” said Pereira. He used his 275-mm f/5.3 Newtonian reflector equipped with a QHY5III462C imaging camera, Televue Powermate 5× (yielding f/26.5) and IR and UV cut-off filters to make the discovery from São Caetano do Sul in Brazil

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur

originally posted by: carewemust
Outer layers of Jupiter are gas, which is why we call it a gas giant, but the pressure gets so high inside that it probably has a layer of liquid metallic hydrogen and helium, which may or may not surround a solid core. We just don't know if it has a solid core or not. Whatever is inside, the high pressure and density would really slow down something trying to travel through it.

Jupiter’s Core

Jupiter’s composition is more of a mystery than anything else. The accepted theory holds that it consists of a dense core made of a mixture of elements, the core is thought to be surrounded by a layer of liquid metallic hydrogen and helium, then the outer layer is to be dominated by molecular hydrogen. The core is often speculated to be rocky. It wasn’t until 1997 that the existence of the core was even theorized. Gravitational measurements were taken, indicating a mass in the neighborhood of 12 to 45 times the Earth’s mass, so the proposed core accounts for about 3–15% of the total mass of the planet. The presence of a planetary core follows accepted knowledge of planetary formation. According to this knowledge base, Jupiter would have had to form a rocky or icy core with enough mass in order to capture such a high percentage of gasses from the early solar nebula. Scientists admit that the planet may lack a core at this time due to the high heat and as hot liquid metallic hydrogen mixed with the molten core, carrying it to higher levels of the planet’s interior.

Not to be overly simplistic, but the process what little I know seems to be perpetual cycle.

posted on Sep, 17 2021 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
Not to be overly simplistic, but the process what little I know seems to be perpetual cycle.
What process? Perpetual cycle of what? Link? I have no idea what you're trying to say here, in the context of the question and my answer.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 02:29 AM
link   
White Monoliths?

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
Just stumbled across this, trying to find a video of this and verify

SOMETHING JUST HIT JUPITER: Last night, German astronomer Harald Paleske was watching the shadow of Io create a solar eclipse in the atmosphere of Jupiter when something unexpected happened. "A bright flash of light surprised me," he says. "It could only be an impact." Follow the arrows to the fireball:

spaceweather.com...

It did not leave a black mark as a result of a object ripping through it atmosphere though.

posted on Sep, 19 2021 @ 06:17 AM
link   

A redwood tree fell in the woods....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join