It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thank you for placing an order with Amazon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I've just received a new scam call.

Automated voice; "Thank you for placing an order with Amazon. Your card has been charged with three hundred and ninety-nine pounds. Your I-phone will be despatched within twenty-four hours..."

Instinctively, I put the phone down. Going online, I found that the scam is already well-enough known in the US to be a suggested search-term on Google. Since almost nobody knows my home phone number, they must have been working through sequences at random.

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Lol

I didn't think I-phones were that cheap. That's a bargain and that should have been the first thing that entered your mind. Obviously they are chinese knockoffs.

In this modern world what is wrong with some Nigerians buying phones on your account. You should be honored good sir and happy to help those richer than yourself.

I think we are al being scammed right now. Our lives are being scammed.

P

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358
The message online is that they give you a number to phone if you haven't placed the order (I didn't let them get that far) and then extract account information from you when you do phone them. That's the scem.

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 05:03 AM
link   

House line or mobile? I'm fairly sure there's lists of active mobile numbers out there. I wouldn't worry about it they're usually just phishing.

Sometimes the numbers provided have charges associated with them, they're getting better these scammers. The emails and SMS messages are starting to get convincing.

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990
House; but my guess is that they're just systematucally working through number sequences.
I had a phase a little while back of people claiming to speak for my service provider, but quoting the wrong service provider. (I don't speak even to my real service provider, because I've fallen out with their marketing department)

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Well , if I get a call like that I will have some fun .
I have never purchased anything online , and don't plan on it in the future .

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 07:19 AM
link   

You're most likely right, these days it's fairly simple to report numbers via a mobile. My phone usually asks if this was a scam number and it's usually on point so there's definitely some tracking and blocking going on. I imagine it's a lot trickier with house phones, these scammers aren't dumb and usually route their calls through commercial centers and the likes.

There's gangs that do this too, it's rare but it happens. Usually pretending to be the bank or post office, it's very targeted and usually targets the old and vulnerable. Almost got my grandad a year back...

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 08:26 AM
link   
P.S. They tried a second time aa few hours later, with no better luck.
Scammers seem to be an optimistic bunch.

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Fortunately, people are wising up to these scams, albeit slowly. I don't get as many calls to straighten out the aftermath as I used to. That's a good thing.

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

Lol

I didn't think I-phones were that cheap. That's a bargain and that should have been the first thing that entered your mind. Obviously they are chinese knockoffs.

In this modern world what is wrong with some Nigerians buying phones on your account. You should be honored good sir and happy to help those richer than yourself.

I think we are al being scammed right now. Our lives are being scammed.

P

You can get an iphone SE for 399.99 US dollars. It's their budget phone. Still a decent phone as cell phones go.

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 08:31 AM
link   
There's another "$??.99 cents...has been charged to your ...you don't hear the 1st #'s..scared you ck to see...then...you just ok'd the blanks to be filled in

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I got a phonecall from a Manchester number last week.When I answered the female caller said my name,I asked who was calling.Immediately her voice changed to an American accent and said I was on Drivetime talk radio and could win a holiday to Florida.Automatically I said F off,she said give it a try to win.
I then asked if she wanted my bank details now or later,she then hung up.
When I looked up the number,it came from a big office block in the centre of Manchester, definte scam-blocked and reported as spam on my mobile.
edit on 4/9/2021 by glen200376 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Phone scammers are like mosquitoes they are relentless
and will drain you dry.

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified
Actually on Straight Talk ( a service from Walmart and Tracphone) a new Iphone SE is $199. And they had refurb SE's for $109 two weeks back. $129 now. Link

With the purchase of a month of service.

edit on 4-9-2021 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth
I'm hoping there's a "Don't bother with this one- waste of energy" list circulating somewhere. I'm trying to get myself put on it.

edit on 4-9-2021 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2021 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ntech
a reply to: Klassified
Actually on Straight Talk ( a service from Walmart and Tracphone) a new Iphone SE is $199. And they had refurb SE's for $109 two weeks back. $129 now. Link

With the purchase of a month of service.

I haven't seen an iphone SE2020 that cheap. That's a good price for that phone new.

I'm thinking when I retire of putting some bullets in my cell phone and never buying another, but unfortunately I still need the damn thing for now.

top topics

join