It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House proposes removing penalties for fentanyl trafficking-related offenses

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Intro

A class 1 scheduling which was placed on FRS (fentanyl-related substances) by the previous admimistration is set to expire. In addition to the class 1 scheduling under the Controlled Substances Act there have been additional penalties levied against those who traffick and possess FRS. Some groups believe FRS have been "over-criminalized" and would like to see the restrictions relaxed. Others believe the laws should be strengthened and the restrictions renewed.

FRS have brought death and destruction to communities where they are trafficked and consumed, and untold damage has been done to individuals and the families of individuals who use these substances in ways which they are not intended to be used. The amount of fentanyl and fentanyl laced drugs coming across the U.S. border and being shipped in from overseas has increased dramatically over the last few years. The covid lockdowns saw a significant uptick in the abuse of these substances as well as overdoses and fatalities which are directly related to FRS. In addition, an immense strain is placed upon law enforcement and social services in communities which have been heavily impacted by FRS.

Sources:

Faux
White House proposes removing penalties for fentanyl trafficking-related offenses

Human Rights Watch
More than 140 Groups Urge White House to End Over-Criminalization of Fentanyl-Related Substances

Daily Fail
White House pushes to make fentanyl a Schedule 1 drug as overdoses soar - but gets rid of mandatory minimums over concerns of racial disparity

I've read through a few different sources and found the information being presented to be rather confusing and unclear. This is federal drug policy being discussed, and it seems that deliberately sowing confusion is the order of the day (though it might just be me getting confused). The reporting comes from Mockingbird media, so take with a grain of salt.

Personal experience

I have mixed feelings on this topic. I have an inherent distrust for the pharmaceutical companies which produce opiates, though much of what is being discussed here appears to either be produced by cartels or international chemical corporations with little oversight. These substances exist and are available to those who know where to look. I don't know what real benefit comes from aggressively policing these substances. It is human nature to seek out that which we are told not to seek, especially among younger individuals. I was introduced to the D.A.R.E. program as a young child which caused me to become aware of substances I had never heard of, and being told not to do these things actually encouraged me to seek them out (admittedly I am an extreme case and the trajectory of my life would most likely have caused me to seek them anyway).

Several years ago a dear friend of mine became terminally ill with very agressive cancer which rapidly spread and resisted treatment. Though fentanyl made him sick, it was one of the only substances which gave him relief. This is my only (slightly) positive experience with fentanyl.

My negative experiences far outweigh the positive. My former partner of seven years experienced great tragedy when her younger brother consumed fentanyl laced H, lapsed into a coma, and died in hospital shortly after. Both my former partner and her family have not recovered from this loss. Our relationship never recovered from this loss. That young man was a brilliant, talented, wonderful human being who left this world before he reached his 23rd birthday.

I live in Vermont near the small town of Bennington. An immense amount of FRS and narcotics pass through the area from MA, NY, and NJ en route to Canada. Bennington and southern VT have been disproportionately impacted by these substances. Overdoses have become a regular occurrence and large drug busts are common. In the past two years alone I have attended the funerals of three young men who were very dear to me. All of them were intelligent, capable, hard-working individuals. One a gifted chef with a young son, another a chemist with advanced degrees who taught high-school, and the third a very talented mechanic. One of them got some blow laced with fentanyl, another consumed a counterfeit pill which ended up being almost pure pressed fentanyl, and the third hid his habit so well that neither friends nor family was fully cognizant of his habit. Two of those men leave behind young children who will never know their fathers. All of these men were victims of an extremely dangerous habit which turned deadly when FRS became involved. It is believed that none were aware they were ingesting FRS laced substances. The negative repercussions didn't stop with their deaths. The pushers who sold the three men these substances all live in the community. Many lives were destroyed and multiple families were devastated. Speaking personally, there is a void in my heart for each of these men who passed before their time.

These men made a choice. They took a huge risk. They chose to pursue a high with known dangers. What they did not choose was to consume fentanyl. They all believed they were consuming a different substance. They made the very dangerous assumption that untested street drugs were as advertised. No one should ever make the assumption that a street drug is the chemical composition which it is said to be. That is a life or death gamble which can and often does end in death or permanent disability.

I have a great deal of empathy for those who struggle with substance abuse. I have had my own struggles with substances and it took many years and many hardships for me to change my lifestyle. Where I grew up in the Caribbean substance abuse was normalized, and for various reasons during adolescence I turned to substance abuse as a means of self-medication. I consider myself extremely fortunate to be alive today to write this thread.

Closing thoughts

I may share my struggles with ATS if I am able to find a way to keep it within T&C's. If I do choose to share those experiences here it will be solely so that others might learn from what I've endured and subjected myself to. I do volunteer work with at risk individuals in my community, and though I find it very difficult, I believe it to be an important endeavor. Only those who truly desire change will effect lasting change for themselves, though a positive influence can make a world of difference.

I'm interested to know what others think about FRS, federal drug policy, and how these issues may have impacted your communities. Apologies for the sombre tenor of this thread. These topics are not uplifting and are not for the faint of heart, though they are important topics nonetheless.

I hope that I haven't abused the T&C's with this thread. I believe it is abundantly clear that I neither encourage nor condone the use of these substances. If I had my way, none of these substances would exist, or even better yet, every individual would exercise the discretion and responsibility to never abuse dangerous chemical compounds.

What I've shared of my personal experience is for educational purposes only.

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Additional sources:

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Why, if not to destroy communities or prep the world for something more?

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Yes. There are agendas at play here which go beyond the scope of what many Americans are willing to consider. 6uilding 6ack 6etter certainly comes to mind. There is a long game being played by multinational corporations and global power brokers and only a few are even willing to consider the potential ramifications of these agendas.

Thanks for your input, cheers.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: CircumstancialEvidence

These men made a choice. They took a huge risk. They chose to pursue a high with known dangers. What they did not choose was to consume fentanyl. They all believed they were consuming a different substance. They made the very dangerous assumption that untested street drugs were as advertised. No one should ever make the assumption that a street drug is the chemical composition which it is said to be.....

It's just so much different now than it used to be, and in a strange way really. In the past, the drug you thought you were getting was the more dangerous one. If you were actually fooled into getting something different from what you were expecting, it was something that was much weaker that was mixed in. It all seems so backwards now.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I have mixed feelings on this topic. I have an inherent distrust for the pharmaceutical companies which produce opiates, though much of what is being discussed here appears to either be produced by cartels or international chemical corporations with little oversight. These substances exist and are available to those who know where to look. I don't know what real benefit comes from aggressively policing these substances. It is human nature to seek out that which we are told not to seek, especially among younger individuals. I was introduced to the D.A.R.E. program as a young child which caused me to become aware of substances I had never heard of, and being told not to do these things actually encouraged me to seek them out (admittedly I am an extreme case and the trajectory of my life would most likely have caused me to seek them anyway).

Heartfelt post, S&F...

I quoted just the portion I want to respond to. As a recover[ed][ing] addict, I too have very mixed feelings, and I've gotten into ... discussion/arguments with family and friends about the subject.

Personally, I believe that people should be free to do what they want, as long as they aren't hurting others.

Taking drugs is a personal choice, and should not be illegal, and people certainly should not be made criminals simply for doing so.

That said, it should be controlled and taxed (and 100% of the tax revenue should be earmarked solely for recovery programs), like alcohol and tobacco, meaning, not sold to minors, and anyone caught knowingly, willingly and intentionally selling to minors should be dealt with harshly (I'm in favor of the death penalty for things like this), maybe with room for one 'second chance' if circumstances warrant it.

Drug dealers who misrepresent what they are selling, especially if it results in someone's death, should be dealt with just as if not more harshly as those selling to minors...

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Presidential candidate Joe Biden told everyone if they elected him, he would implement basic transformations within American society. Making the United States a totally different place than what we are used to.

Americans overwhelmingly supported Joe Biden's desires, and put him in charge to make them become reality.

Good times are here!

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Presidential candidate Joe Biden told everyone if they elected him, he would implement basic transformations within American society. Making the United States a totally different place than what we are used to.

Americans overwhelmingly supported Joe Biden's desires, and put him in charge to make them become reality.

Good times are here!

Yeah,

Fraudulent mail in ballots overwhelmingly supported Joe Biden.

That is why I expect there will be a "reason" to continue the trend of mail in ballots at the midterms.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

You raise some very valid points. Things have changed dramatically and not for the better. The amount of adulterants and "cut" used these days often outweighs the amount of substance which people believe they are getting. Wealthy individuals can afford to acquire substances which are chemically analyzed for purity. Most individuals, however, will roll the dice and take the risk that they are receiving what they are paying for. In addition to the rise in popularity of the really low grade, sketchy substances termed 'designer drugs' has been apalling. I can't comprehend the appeal of things like bath salts, but I've made poor choices and if I had been born a few years later or had grown up in a different area I would likely have had different preferences.

Backwards is a good word for the current state of affairs.

Thanks for your input. 🤙

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 04:23 PM
link   
when people say things like 'free to do what you want if its not hurting anyone' i tend to not believe, or those who say 'this should be banned because it hurts others'. in both cases they accept some harmful things that do often impact others but sit there and make excuses why it shouldn't be illegal then turn around and demand some other thing to be banned because it hurts others.

people are lying hypocrites that use science or personal liberty as an excuse to justify harmful substance usage and when that doesn't work they use social implications or crime reduction as an excuse. the reality is drugs hurt others, alcoholic beverages hurt others, you just want it legal so you can use it, consequences be damned except you dont want to feel guilty so you look for excuses to make it seem good when its just selfishness by people with no self control.

both sides just dont actually care about benefits or consequences, you just want the pleasure and dont want to admit you are an addict, drugs, sugar, candy, meat, alcohol, whatever. pretending all this moralist bs on both political perspectives is tiring, just admit the truth that both of you want the same thing, freedom to choose regardless of benefit or consequences.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Very well said. Our views are very much aligned on this subject. I believe the strategies you've suggested would have a significant impact on the issues being faced, or at the very least would move us in the right direction.

The substance abuse epidemic is like a runaway train which has continually gained momentum. At some point we hit critical mass and the train jumps the rails or we run out of track. Only in this metaphor, the train represents our communities and the people who inhabit them and the track is our collective future. The members of the communities don't have to be on the train or directly involved with it in order to be adversely impacted when the drain derails.

It's always an inspiration to me when another individual decides to change their lives for the better. We each have to follow our own paths to sobriety, and no two paths are the same. Congratulations for being willing and able to take the steps necessary to walk a different path. Lord knows it isn't easy and we do sometimes falter but if we have the resolve to keep moving forward it does get easier.

Thanks for your input. All my best to you.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 04:53 PM
link   

a reply to: tanstaafl
Thanks for your input. All my best to you.

And mine to you and yours...

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 04:54 PM
link   
This drug is lethal in tiny doses. It should be Schedule I and made illegal in all but a hospital setting.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Straight from the horse's mouth...

I'm not so sure the dude who has been addressing the nation is the same Biden of yesteryear... certain things don't quite... add up.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Definitely. Problem, reaction, solution has been working well enough for it to continue being utilized. If a reason to heavily utilize mail in ballots hasn't materialized in the run up to the midterm and next presidential elections, I have no doubt that a reason(s) will be manufactured. It has not mattered that millions of people view elections as illegitimate, business carries on as usual.

In my humble opinion, almost all elections of consequence are a sham. I call them selections, not elections. I also see the two parties as a duopoly which tirelessly seeks to control and limit any challenge to this duopoly. Politicians have far more in common with each other regardless of their political affiliations, and they stand to benefit far more if the populace is kept divided and bickering.

I know that there are many good people on either side of the aisle. I would like to see those good people put aside their differences and focus on the common enemy. I was raised in a liberal household (parents have since registered as IND, thank ****) but I align more with conservative values. Far too many wacky shenanigans coming from the liberal side of the aisle for my taste.

I might draw some ire for that viewpoint and that's fine. It's just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CircumstancialEvidence

I've had some experience with fentanyl. All of mine were under hospital care, so it shouldn't break any of the T&C. I'll note there for reference that personal recreational descriptions are prohibited on ATS.

Fentanyl is the drug of choice in the nearest heart center for cath surgeries. The patient is awake during surgery! Often the doctor will talk to them. However, there is no memory of the operation afterwards. I have often made the statement that I didn't even remember not remembering!

First time I got a little too much. Not an overdose, mind you, probably a mcg or two more than was needed. I don't remember the first day in the recovery room; I am told that at one point I had to be restrained from trying to walk out of the window. It was on, if memory serves, the 8th floor. Apparently I was pretty "loopy," to mirror the phrase my family used.

As time went on, they got the dosage dialed in. The last time, I remember getting some guy to scratch my nose (I wasn't allowed to move a muscle) and then hearing the surgeon say "OK, we're done!"

Point being, this is a VERY powerful drug! When on it, one is completely oblivious to anything that is going on, but still able to function on a kind of "auto-pilot" basis. Without supervision, a large dose could be deadly. Not just from overdose (although that can kill as well; remember Prince?), but because one is able to interact with the world around them, but unaware of the world around them at the same time.

That is dangerous to everyone around them.

What I find amazing is that this administration would be even considering letting the restrictions die, but still hasn't said one word about removing marijuana from it's undeserved demonization. What, we want to keep the dangerous drugs but put people in jail for using a pretty much harmless one? What's next? Meth is legal, but an aspirin will land you in prison for life?

Just remember people... some of you voted for this. This is what you wanted. And this is what we're all getting.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: namehere
I dont screw hookers, I think they should be legal.
I dont take heavy drugs, I think they should be legal.
I dint think license requirements are needed to cut hair, sell a hot dog or any number of things. I dont do or plan to do any of those activities. I encourage them to be free, so innocent people wont be labeled as criminals if they do.
The very short history of illegal drugs is fraught with unverified science, propaganda and religious and racist overtones. Sorry to break it ya but all these things were "legal" for 100s of years before they were outlawed in the 30s or later.
You must be lonely way up there on your pedestal.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: namehere

Freedom of choice is fundamental to the American way of life. At least, it used to be. I take no moral high ground in any situation. My ego has thoroughly been crushed by a lifetime of self-abuse and difficult and often poor choices. I am trying to be a decent man and part of that is doing my best to kill my ego and to help others. I can't help others if I don't help myself. It's a cycle. It goes round and round and up and down.

This country has been built up on some really ****ed up events and beliefs. There is much darkness throughout the history of America. It is also one of the most inclusive and welcoming nations in the world. It's a nation of immigrants built by immigrants and is one of the most diverse places in the world. It's a nation wherein through hardwork and determination one can lift themselves up and better their lot in life. There are many countries which follow barbaric practices where this would not be possible. It can be argued that this is due to an unfair advantage over other nations (the petrodollar, the US Armed Forces as a global police force, unfair economic advantages, etc), but there will always be the haves and the have nots. For a single posh home there must be multiple low-income housing units. This is inherent in the system.

If America falls from dominance (as is rapidly occurring), another nation will rise to take its place, and there is no guarantee that nation won't be far more ruthless than America has been. There is also no guarantee that whatever nation rises to dominance wouldn't be more benevolent. Ultimately, the majority of Americans just want life, liberty, freedom, and health to enjoy with their families while attempting to raise decent human beings who make gainful contributions to society. There is a hidden and not-so-hidden hand which is guiding humans down a dark path. Agendas of world dominance and control have been in motion for many years and those agendas have only been amplified recently.

A good argument can be made that America never actually left the British Crown, but that would be an entirely different thread requiring a great deal of research and critical thinking. Point being that there are many different powerful interests which attempt to control and influence America and world events.

I think what you've stated is rather pessimistic, but there is a lot of truth to your words. You are entitled to your view, and I believe free-thinking individuals should support and defend your right to formulate and express your beliefs.

I firmly believe that the buck stops when one person's actions have a direct, negative impact on others. To me that is the pinnacle of ego and selfishness. I feel that ego, entitlement, and selfishness are major factors in why the world feels so off balance today. There are many who are willing to consciously put themselves ahead at the expense of others. Politicians and oligarchs are very guilty of this, but so are many average individuals.

Personal responsibility is a waning quality in many individuals. We have had at least one if not two generations raised without personal accountability, handed participation trophies just for showing up, with the belief that their feelings matter. Their feelings do not matter. It is up to each individual to manage their own feelings and it is never the responsibility of society to do so. Those with a weak constitution get hurt easily. Those who allow their feelings to be manipulated become weaponized against themselves while looking for others to blame.

Is there a way back from this? Do we want to come back from this? I don't know. I've personally lived a full life. I have seen and experienced things which many will never be fortunate enough to experience, and I have been blessed with the tools to recognize my good fortune. I am extremely grateful to those who've done their best for me, and I am equally grateful to those who've attempted to do their worst to me. In between those two paths is the secret to a positive and meaningful life, and I wouldn't be able to recognize this if I hadn't experienced the best and worst of what humanity has to offer.

Hopefully I have somewhat addressed your message with my ramblings and musings. Appreciate your input, please do comment further if you have additional thoughts to add to the discussion.

It is late here in Holland and my wife and I have a full day planned for tomorrow. Will be back tomorrow to respond if additional comments are added to this thread.

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: VierEyes

Good idea. With a substance this incredibly powerful and dangerous I find myself agreeing with you. I think it should really be reserved for end of life care and administered only by a trained professional.

Thanks for your input.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Great post, thank you so much for your adding your personal experiences to this thread. I also appreciate the info regarding T&C's. I checked them over and didn't think I was violating them, but it is helpful to have feedback from a forum member I respect who has been here since 2007. My thanks to you.

The experiences you had in hospital sound really wild! What an incredibly powerful drug indeed. Some of what you've described reminds me of the also extremely powerful drug Scopolamine, which has been used for nefarious purposes. I am glad fentanyl was applied to you in a controlled setting and that it was helpful to you in your surgery and recovery. I hope that you will not have to experience that again.

My friend who was terminally ill with cancer was very disoriented while on fentanyl and his memories were very scattered. Foggy is a good word for it. At least he wasn't in pain. I spent a lot of time with him at his home before he had to go to the hospital where he passed from this world. We would watch cooking shows, him in his fancy hospital bed we installed in his home and me in his favorite recliner. I do not believe we would have been able to share those moments otherwise, as his pain was so immense he was in pure agony without the fentanyl prescription. A trained medical professional came to his home daily (sometimes multiple times a day) to administer his dose. It was never just handed over to him to dose himself as he saw fit, not that he would have done that as he had a beautiful mind and an indomitable spirit. Not that it matters but he was a prominent violinist in one of the major New York City symphony orchestras, a very talented photographer, and a world class gunsmith and firearms expert. I suppose I just miss him and that's why I'm saying this now.

Anyway, good to hear you mention cannabis. I have legally grown medical cannabis in both California and Vermont. I was able to provide cannabis for my friend at a time when it was still quite difficult to acquire and he told me repeatedly that it was immensely helpful with his nausea and lack of appetite. It was a big part of why he enjoyed watching cooking shows, hah.

I have been persecuted and demonized for cultivation of cannabis for medical purposes. Even with having the appropriate licenses I faced legal persecution and nearly lost everything I'd worked for on more than one occasion. As you are no doubt aware, a lot of those unjust laws go back to Harry Anslinger, paper and textile monopolies, the war on drugs, and reefer madness type propaganda. Hemp, hemp seed, and hemp oil are wonderful and extremely versatile, and through proper use could help solve many conundrums which humanity currently faces. The only reason hemp and cannabis have been allowed to progress to this point is because big pharma and multinational corporations have determined ways to derive profit while maintaining a lot of control over the means of production and distribution. Big pharma is still an enemy of cannabis and cannabis cultivators, but things have at least shifted somewhat in recent years. I believe another reason cannabis has been gradually approved for recreational use has to do with its calming and sedative qualities. There has been a big emphasis placed on calming chemistry in the past few decades, and excessive cannabis consumption both sedates and dumbs down individuals. I'm not saying it turns people into dopes, but ingesting large quantities of THC can and does have adverse impacts on the human body. Everything in moderation including moderation.

The synthetic variants of cannabis which big pharma sells are absolute trash, poison, and a blight on this world. One of the excellent things the Trump administration did was decriminalize and allow greater access to "low-THC derivatives of cannabis," specifically CBD products at the federsl level under the 2018 farm bill. I'm not advising anyone to go out and grow hemp, but it is worth researching whether or not it's something people are able to legally grow for themselves.

I no longer use cannabis recreationally, and the majority of my cultivation is CBD specific and falls well within the boundaries of state and federal law. I can't stress enough that what I do is fully legal and again I do not recommend others to go out and start growing without a clear understanding of state and federal law. Speaking from personal experience, the consequences of even a legal grow can be immense if one were to run afoul of the wrong law enforcement agency. I do use CBD for my health and well being, and it has been immensely helpful for various health issues which I live with.

I've grown organically for years and would not cultivate any other way. The state of the food supply in our country is a disaster. From glyphosate to soils which are addicted to chemical fertilizers made by the same companies which made the chemical nerve agents of WWI, the people and animals of America (and much of the globe) are being poisoned by greedy, souless corporations without a moral compass. It is an awful time to be a farmer. Federal and state policy can change at any time. There is no guarantee that cannabis cultivation will continue to be protected. I hope that it is, but things can and do change.

Damn I sure do like to ramble. 😅

Anyway, thanks again for your input. Appreciate you bringing your personal experience to this thread.

Cheers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join