It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What we know about Trump's DEAL with the Taliban before leaving office

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ToLiveIsToDie

You

Create fear, and serve a solution -

The problem is government should be feared and kept in check.

The Taliban knocked on her door 3 times. The fourth time, they killed her
By Anna Coren, Sandi Sidhu, Abdul Basir Bina and Hilary Whiteman, CNN
Updated 10:19 AM EDT, Wed August 18, 2021

www.cnn.com...

CNN)Najia was at home with her three young sons and daughter in a small village in northern Afghanistan when Taliban fighters knocked on their door.

Najia's daughter Manizha, 25, knew they were coming -- her mother had told her they'd done the same thing the previous three days, demanding that she cook food for up to 15 fighters.
"My mother told them, 'I am poor, how can I cook for you?'" said Manizha. "(The Taliban) started beating her. My mother collapsed and they hit her with their guns -- AK47s."
Manizha said she yelled at the fighters to stop. They paused for a moment before throwing a grenade into the next room and fleeing as the flames spread, she said. The mother-of-four died from the beating.

What some people fear is a living nightmare for others.

And it’s freighting in the USA its becoming an increasing view the constitution is an inconvenience.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: ToLiveIsToDie
It was supposed to be the voters who is in the driving seat, what the eff happen to your country?

People are too stupid to see that both parties are the same.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

If indeed we can believe anything Trump says at this point that would seem to have been the best plan of action. Just who Biden was getting his information from is my question. He did let this cluster-#$%$# happen as badly as it did under his watch and he will have to live with it. My guess is some heads had better roll. Figuratively of course.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I agree. There is no win. Never could be and never will be. However, to have 10k plus Americans in Taliban occupied territory is unacceptable no matter who is in charge. If this happened during the 45 tenure they would have already started impeachment hearings. Our country is lost.

Blame comes later. Right now someone needs to show some leadership and it is not by legitimizing the Taliban leadership.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Dude, I was thinking the same thing, they would have tried to impeach him over this and rioting and looting, and OMG he is destroying our country! Biden does it and they are like well at least he owned it. Derp, derp!! All I have to say is get your ducks in a row because I believe this will be the beginning of the # show that is the Biden Admin!

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

No, Biden owns this, straight-up

I agree. His administration botched it. My point was for any who want to put the blame for the withdrawal itself solely on Biden.

We know that Biden is an old man with cognitive abilities that are diminishing with each day he lives. He is getting his info from somewhere because there is no way his own mental capacity could keep up with all the issues at hand here. He has to, I would think, almost completely depend upon those he is listening to.

He said a while back that the Taliban had made promises and that no on expected this quick of a reversal there. Obviously a huge mistake happened. I can understand pulling out the troops as a major concession to withdrawal. This was part of what Trump wanted as well, why he cut forces there almost immediately.

I can also understand that if the US believed that the Taliban would work a treaty with the government there that with hope, Afghanistan would continue to function along the lines that all had agreed to. Leaving US diplomats and others there as liaisons and advisors to government and what not seems rational. Again, it's whoever his administration was listening to about the treat of Taliban's plans and agreements was completely off base.

Biden said yesterday I think, maybe the day before, that ''The buck stops here''. Meaning himself. And while I still think he was getting bad info, that statement of his is exactly where blame should be laid. He proved himself incapable of directing this withdrawal correctly.

That of course leaves me with another question. Might he use this bungle to initialize his long awaited ''stepping down'' from the Oval?

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

With all the free covid money floating around, and money to move illegal aliens around the USA, you think the USA government could have bought airplane tickets for US citizens, and had them shipped out of Afghanistan before this happened?

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

We need to be asking ourselves why it was 'allowed' to happen just like 9/11 or Benghazi which were severe intel failues.

Exactly. I made comments along this line in two previous replies..

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I was just concurring what you said. Nothing happens unless it is allowed.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: HiddenIdentity
www.cfr.org...

What did the United States and the Taliban agree to?

Following nine rounds of discussions, negotiators signed a peace agreement in February 2020 that addresses four main issues:

Cease-fire. Negotiators agreed to a temporary reduction in violence and said that a lasting cease-fire among U.S., Taliban, and Afghan forces will be part of intra-Afghan negotiations.

Withdrawal of foreign forces. The United States agreed to reduce its number of troops in the country from roughly 12,000 to 8,600 within 135 days. If the Taliban follows through on its commitments, all U.S. and other foreign troops will leave Afghanistan within fourteen months. Experts have cautioned that pulling troops out too quickly could be destabilizing.

Intra-Afghan negotiations. The Taliban agreed to start talks with the Afghan government in March 2020. Throughout the negotiating process, the Taliban had resisted direct talks with the government, calling it an American puppet. But the Taliban has more recently indicated that talks are possible, with deputy Taliban leader Sirajuddin Haqqani writing in a New York Times op-ed, “If we can reach an agreement with a foreign enemy, we must be able to resolve intra-Afghan disagreements through talks.”

Counterterrorism assurances. The United States invaded Afghanistan following the September 11, 2001, attacks largely to eliminate the threat of terrorism, so it seeks to halt terrorist activities in the country, including by al-Qaeda and the self-proclaimed Islamic State. As part of the agreement, the Taliban guaranteed that Afghanistan will not be used by any of its members, other individuals, or terrorist groups to threaten the security of the United States and its allies.

Trump did this within 4 years. Makes you wonder what Obama had been doing all that time.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

He was hosting the Muslim Brotherhood at the WH....Trump pushed to make them a terror org.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux
Marxists want their latest revolution to be in the USA. And the cult is gaining steam.

That's nice.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
Everybody learns at their own pace... more people than ever have that sentiment.

Sadly it's like The Tortoise and the Hare That Got Run Over By A Semi.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Here is that headline.

''Biden faces Trump's deadline on Afghanistan troop withdrawal: 'Any way you cut it, we are headed for a messy outcome''.

Funny how Biden had no issues breaking down anything Trump has done and sign most of it away with EO's from day one but he just could not break A deadline that Trump had set for himself. Looking at Trumps plan and actions he would have moved that deadline 100%.

On top of that if Trump had done what biden did here he would have been attacked by the media for it until the end of time.

Trumps fault my a.s

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

It's Biden's problem to deal with, not Trump's. Trump is not POTUS, Biden is. As Biden stated, ''the buck stops here''.
The fault is not Trump's nor is it Biden's though the responsibility for this bungle needs to be placed directly at Biden's feet. As suggested in that article from March, it was always going to be ugly but Biden's administration dropped the ball and that is for sure.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Didn't Trump want a full pull out by May?

This is bigger than US politics and the evacuation was such a blunder# that the coalition left high profile personnel behind.

Thankfully those not-so-terrorists are only killing Afghans apparently... I guess working with warlords for so long had y'all going back on your words that used to mean something.

Negotiations are fun especially with terrorists!

On a realistic note a gradual pullout would've been appreciated whilst enhancing supporting roles via the coalition/NATO and regional allies. It's worth noting that the Taliban are supported by various Afghani (and bordering) warlords. Most of those warlords haven't moved since the first boots hit Afghan soil.

Afghanistan won't unify and in 20 years the only name they'll give a damn about is America. The president is just a figurehead.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

Here is that headline.

''Biden faces Trump's deadline on Afghanistan troop withdrawal: 'Any way you cut it, we are headed for a messy outcome''.

Funny how Biden had no issues breaking down anything Trump has done and sign most of it away with EO's from day one but he just could not break A deadline that Trump had set for himself. Looking at Trumps plan and actions he would have moved that deadline 100%.

On top of that if Trump had done what biden did here he would have been attacked by the media for it until the end of time.

Trumps fault my a.s

The idiot did move the deadline to September 11th- I am guessing some grand gesture of the anniversary of the attacks
and it would make him look great.

Earlier this year, Mr Biden set a 11 September 2021 goal of withdrawing all US troops. Donald Trump had agreed with the Taliban to pull out US troops by May 2021, but that deadline was pushed back by Mr Biden after he took office in January.

www.bbc.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

If indeed we can believe anything Trump says at this point that would seem to have been the best plan of action. Just who Biden was getting his information from is my question. He did let this cluster-#$%$# happen as badly as it did under his watch and he will have to live with it. My guess is some heads had better roll. Figuratively of course.

I agree, it's almost like this was f'd up, on purpose, how could something be done so ass backwards. Network Dude pointed out something I was pondering myself..Joe is the guy in charge, but obviously not in charge of the planning and logistics, still, the buck stops with him..what would Joes part in it be exactly? does he just give a date?, does he determine the order of withdrawl?

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Typically the Joint Chiefs would respond to an order from from the president to withdraw. They would come back with a plan, the requirements and the time needed, in a very distilled form. The president would then either okay the plan, or disagree with it. If he disagreed, this cycle would repeat until he agreed to another plan. It's quite possible that at some point the president just put his foot down and ordered the troops be withdrawn by (insert date). Period, end of discussion. This would be something I could picture Biden doing. The Joint Chiefs would then figure out how to accomplish exactly what was ordered (if possible), backing up from the deadline date. If the order was something like...'look, I don't care what you do but I want the troops out by (insert date), period', then they would get the troops out and accomplish whatever else they could before the deadline (which was basically nothing).

No sane senior military officer would have ever come up with a plan like what was executed on their own. It would be career suicide, so you just know their backstop is...'well, that's what we were ordered to do!'.

ETA - Even if you didn't rely on regular troops to do anything but evacuate, you'd at least send special forces units in to destroy anything useful to the enemy. Units like the SEALs must have a bunch of guys with their head's exploding right now!

Even in Vietnam troops were pushing helicopters off the decks of carriers into the sea to make room for more inbound and so they were of no use to the enemy. We certainly weren't flying them back and handing over the keys to the North Vietnamese!

This will likely come out in time.

edit on 8/18/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

Didn't Trump want a full pull out by May?

This is bigger than US politics and the evacuation was such a blunder# that the coalition left high profile personnel behind.

Thankfully those not-so-terrorists are only killing Afghans apparently... I guess working with warlords for so long had y'all going back on your words that used to mean something.

Negotiations are fun especially with terrorists!

On a realistic note a gradual pullout would've been appreciated whilst enhancing supporting roles via the coalition/NATO and regional allies. It's worth noting that the Taliban are supported by various Afghani (and bordering) warlords. Most of those warlords haven't moved since the first boots hit Afghan soil.

Afghanistan won't unify and in 20 years the only name they'll give a damn about is America. The president is just a figurehead.

not sure if you caught it, but there was an election and Biden won. Trump is no longer president. So while those with marbles in their noggin enjoy what if-ing Trump did this, he didn't. he had a plan, and if he was still president, we would have all seen the results of his plan, if he did pull everyone out. But as he said, he would have done it Soldiers last, not first. But you do OMB, it's been your thing for a while, and reality doesn't seem to be slowing you down any.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join