It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billionaire quasi fun space rides but we get climate change lashings on the ground..meh.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 01:06 AM
link   
How are they not getting totally trashed in the media. They want these trips to be high dollar carnival rides. Enormous amount of resources (mostly tax dollars) and impact on the planet.

I'm ok with it but lay off the climate change madness because it can't be taken serious anymore with this stance. They can have all these things but nobody else.

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Hmm maybe we should listened to the warnings earlier.
Oops

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Oh you mustn't have heard Bezo talking about moving all industry to space so that Earth will be protected from the pollution. That's his excuse at least for going into space.

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Let me know when they figure out a launch that doesn't take fossil fuels....

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Been wondering about that disconnect for some time now but just yesterday the Guardian had this article:

How the billionaire space race could be one giant leap for pollution

Be interesting to see how that topic will develop further in the MSM.
edit on 20-7-2021 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 06:15 AM
link   
This is exactly why we should only be launching wind turbine-powered rocket ships.

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Yea we should always listen to billionaires sooner then later.🤷‍♂️

If only they could have fleeced us with carbon tax sooner. If only the government had got my carbon tax money sooner they could have done something! LOL

a reply to: Allaroundyou

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
How are they not getting totally trashed in the media. They want these trips to be high dollar carnival rides. Enormous amount of resources (mostly tax dollars) and impact on the planet.

I just want them to be one way.

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

SpaceX's Raptor engine uses liquids methane and oxygen. So will Blue Origin's BE-4, assuming it ever works.

ETA: Actually, now that I'm reading what I typed, I think BO's is oxygen rich natural gas, not liquids methane and oxygen.
edit on 7/20/2021 by cmdrkeenkid because: Added additional response.

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Who's tax dollars? If you are talking NASA, I'd rather see SpaceX get the money for sending astronauts to the ISS than Russia. The only tax dollars involved are from Government contracts. They are actually saving the Government money.

Over on Reason, there's a story about the Progressives wanting to tax them heavier, because the have the money to go to space. Old Bernie is right there at the front of the pack.

When you get down to it, the only problem the Progressives have with this,is that THEY don't get to pick the people who benefit from this and none of this money is going into their pockets.

By the way of disclosure, the company I work for is a vendor to SpaceX.

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

Who's tax dollars? If you are talking NASA, I'd rather see SpaceX get the money for sending astronauts to the ISS than Russia. The only tax dollars involved are from Government contracts. They are actually saving the Government money.

Over on Reason, there's a story about the Progressives wanting to tax them heavier, because the have the money to go to space. Old Bernie is right there at the front of the pack.

When you get down to it, the only problem the Progressives have with this,is that THEY don't get to pick the people who benefit from this and none of this money is going into their pockets.

By the way of disclosure, the company I work for is a vendor to SpaceX.

Bezos is getting a Bezos learning center and controlling interests in the Smithsonian space section. It says he donated $200 million but most of his coin is tax dollars so it's actually us paying for it and these are PERMANENT changes to the museum meaning we will be paying forever for it, not him personally. He now has the ability to write the narrative using the museum on impact on the environment which will be nothing.

It's a serious ethics problem where someone with enough money can pay to write and change history anyway they choose which is exactly what is going on. Look at Gates. No college degree but up until recently he was the voice of vaccines. More so than Fauci. The media worshiped Bill Gates despite him not even having a jr college degree.

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 08:31 AM
link   

That's apples and oranges. We are discussing spaceflight, not the Smithsonian.

Gates has been a fraud since the beginning. The only thing that he did was to create the idea of paying for software. Before him, you would order a computer, and specify what it was to be used for and it would arrive with the needed software on it. Everything else Gates did was either stolen or he hired others to do.
If you can find a copy, read "Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution by Steven Levy". ISBN 10: 0440134056
You won't be disappointed.

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 08:46 AM
link   

They're just naming the building after him in honor of his donation. That's pretty common thing to do for anything funded by donors. That's where $130M of his $200M donation is going. The remaining $70M is going towards renovation of the National Air and Space Museum.

No where does anything in any of the press releases about it say he has any "controlling interests" or the ability "to write and change history" at all. I don't like Bezos as a person, but I think you're overreaching there.

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Proper response, actually hopped on the laptop for this instead of the phone.

These trips are high-dollar carnival rides, yes. However, they also go to show that the technology is viable for investors. So while it may seem like a dog and pony show to the layman, it actually has benefits for the company in the long term.

I agree that climate change madness is out of control, but the amount of emissions, while seen as a lot per launch, pale in comparison to the daily output of most industrialized nations.

a reply to: Guyfriday

For posterity, here is that video. Lots of fluff and techno-jargon and buzzwords, and I really dislike Bezos, but he does make some decent points that are worth considering.

a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

That article makes it sound like a lot, and sure, 300 tons of CO2 per Falcon 9 is a lot. That's per launch, and there were twenty launches of F9 in 2020 alone! That's 6000 tons of CO2 emitted into the atmosphere.

In 2019, of the top CO2 emitting countries, per day...
China emitted ~28 million tons of CO2.
The United States emitted ~14 million tons of CO2.
India emitted ~7 million tons of CO2.
Russia emitted ~5 million tons of CO2.
Japan emitted ~3 million tons of CO2.

How does that 6000 tons from SpaceX over a year look now?

Here is a really great, in depth, science based article on rocket pollution.

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I'm ok with it but lay off the climate change madness because it can't be taken serious anymore with this stance. They can have all these things but nobody else.

Because these insanely rich people OWN the media.

It belongs to them.

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 09:42 AM
link   

any betting that there is a note pinned to the ISS

"We tried to deliver but you were not home, left it in bin"

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 10:19 AM
link   

They don't get trashed because they have $$$. Just about everyone else I know is bashing them, or at the very least being bluntly cynical about not caring about them.

I get the feeling that the public looks to media for cues on how to react to things. As evidenced by the lack of a reaction cue, or an incongruent cue, becomes something worthy of discussion itself. Does that not feel manipulative?

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Geo-thermal propulsion systems might get more thrust

originally posted by: IAMTAT
This is exactly why we should only be launching wind turbine-powered rocket ships.

posted on Jul, 21 2021 @ 02:39 PM
link   

climate change being changed by the drones!

It can be done and is being done as i read an article yesterday about it happening in Dubai, so i'm guessing its been going on for a while.

top topics

join