It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lemons vs. Limes. Why???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2021 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Love all citrus. People need to try yuzu.

I had to look that up .
Sounds interesting but I'm not sure where I'll find it round here.
I'll certainly give it a try if I do come across it.

posted on Jul, 8 2021 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa
Sounds interesting but I'm not sure where I'll find it round here.

Most Asian markets will have them, it's like a cross between an orange, grapefruit, lemon and lime.

posted on Jul, 8 2021 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

Lemons are actually good for you. Limes not so much.

posted on Jul, 8 2021 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Now there's one I haven't tried!

I was a big Lychee guy. That, and Mangosteen.

ETA - Oh, and Rambutan also. Durian, not so much!

Used to go to the night markets and get buckets of all those. I could sit and eat Lychee's until my fingers bleed from peeling them.
edit on 7/8/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2021 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Now there's one I haven't tried!

It's amazing with Japanese dishes. I do a few recipes out of the Nobu cookbook and they are essential, you just don't get the same result without using yuzu.

The other thing I really like are the Amalfi lemons, much sweeter than the ones you get here and alos 3-4 times the size.

edit on 8-7-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Jul, 8 2021 @ 06:40 AM
link   

I'll have to look into that.

Ever had Lychee, Mangosteen or Rambutan??

Durian??? LOL!

posted on Jul, 8 2021 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Ever had Lychee, Mangosteen or Rambutan??

Durian??? LOL!

I've had all of them but there's one on the list I'm not having again and I'm pretty sure you know which disgusting-smelling mofo it is.

I also like Japanese plums when I can find them.

posted on Jul, 8 2021 @ 07:12 AM
link   
A lot of times, the recipes in question actually call for Seville orange or bitter orange. Lime is an easy substitute for it although generally we mix grapefruit, lime and lemon or orange juices to approximate it ourselves.

That's where the use of lime in Mexican cooking came from I think.

posted on Jul, 8 2021 @ 08:48 AM
link   

a reply to: jerich0

Lemons are actually good for you. Limes not so much.

......and I forgot this morning to try the lime juice.

Creature of habit. I get my lemons and squeeze them myself once a week and put the juice in a bottle in the fridge so went straight for them.
I'm all out now and won't get more til weekend so I'll have to try the lime alternative tomorrow.

Wish me luck....... I'm goin' in!

posted on Jul, 8 2021 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Oh, I know exactly which one it is!

The only fruit (or anything else I can think of) on this planet which doesn't taste like what it smells like! Smells like KACK x 50, but tastes like the richest cherry flavored garlic you've ever eaten, with the texture of the finest and most luxurious #ake mushroom babypoop smoothie woobiejoos imaginable! Couldn't even swallow it before laughing down the toilet!

posted on Jul, 8 2021 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Yeah, it's on the list with casu marzu and hakaral of things not to eat ever.

posted on Jul, 8 2021 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Availability. Most limes come from Mexico. Most lemons come from the Mediterranean.

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Limes grow there.

Im a huge fan of limes. We put it on everything, use maybe 2 dozen a week in the house. Wife puts it and tajin on her cucumbers for a nightly treat.

Best way to eat watermelon: cube and squirt with lime juice. Sprinkle tajin all over it. Enjoy the Kung Fu to your tastebuds. Except FCD...he doesn't get any because of his teeth.

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I've not tried durian, but would give it a shot once.

I've processed a jackfruit, before i knew anything about them. Took a couple bites of fruit and threw it away before the gum got everywhere. Next time i did it, i use vegetable oil to prevent the issues.

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Durian also doubles as a weapon! If you ever got bonked on the head by one of those things it'd do some serious damage to your noggin! It'd give ya' 'waffle-noggin'.

I'm just amazed anyone ever tried to eat one. The husk on the outside has thousands of these sharp spikes all over it. They're these pyramid shaped spike like things which come to a sharp point and they smell FOUL. You have to cut them open with a machete or an axe, and once you do that you get clobbered with this stench which is positively REVOLTING. And the stuff that is the actual 'fruit' part, the part you eat, looks like a cross between brains, mashed bug guts and pus. But it tastes nothing like it smells. I just can't imagine how anyone ever said..."Hey let's try this and see what it tastes like!"

Many of the hotels across SE Asia have pictures of a Durian fruit posted on the front doors inside a circle with a red line through it. They are NOT allowed inside! They really do smell THAT bad. LOL! Even here in the US when you find an Asian store which has them, they're usually inside a sealed refrigerator or display case.

But people just love, love, LOVE that stuff, and they eat it like it's candy. It's just too rich for me though. I can pretty safely say it's the richest food I've ever eaten. It's like taking a giant bite off a big stick of fresh pure butter that tastes like cherry and garlic.

It was fun though, trying it. Neat experience.

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Cherry garlic butter? Psh...im in.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 08:04 PM
link   
High quality organic garlic salt(Simply Organic)..Mezcal..slice of almost past ripe ORGANIC lime. In that order. One of the biggest differences in taste an flavor of all produce I've consumed..LIMES. ..not so much with lemons.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join