It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Divide between the rich and the poor.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 11:19 AM
link   
People thought it was bad before, just wait..

chicago.cbslocal.com... ce=social&fbclid=IwAR13d8d_LPsLYYQBHUU7QR15LtsYfnREYD3fbB6qCFXmuRCs61pMyBaqlH4

When Howard Tolsky went online to book a dinner at Steak 48, at 615 N. Wabash Ave. near the Mag Mile, he immediately started losing his appetite for any experience there.

“It’s a shame,” Tolsky said.

It was all because there was a $100 minimum for himself, his wife, his and mother-in-law – each, per person.

“Like many in our industry, we had to make some updates to our policies. The $100 per person minimum will remain in effect to provide the ability to be successful as a steakhouse designed for the full sit-down experience and support our restaurant’s operations and staff.”

That movie Elysium wasn't science fiction, it was a glimpse into our future.
HOA's, self checkouts, food islands, min wage, worker shortages..............the police...... It's all laying the groundwork.
I've read into HOA's and they are a lot sinister than a busy body keeping a neighborhood tidy.

What I see is that there will be a massive fracture between the rich and poor. The middle class will be ripped apart, most will
land in the poor sector. I think another great depression is on the way. The rich will have security instead of police.

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

This is what happens when you have government handouts that are better than 15/hr jobs. Everything is costing more because of inflation and no one wants to work any more. This is also a result of the lock-downs, shut-downs.

We all said this was going to happen.

*shrugs*

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This is just inflation working it's way through the system... it has nothing to do with rich or poor. It has to do with the unintended consequences of policies which raised the cost of doing business, particularly in sectors like the restaurant industry.

A high end steakhouse requires hostesses, wait staff, etc. You have inflated cost of food, not too mention employees wanting higher wages. The industry already has razor thin margins. Combine that with reduced capacity from lock downs, restaurants have no choice but to raise prices.

The $100 minimum per person is probably what they calculated is required to make money worth staying open under current environment. For a high end steak house, that isn't exorbitant especially if you include alcohol. I loved going to Maestro's in downtown Chicago. The meat alone would be $35-$50 per person. Throw in sides at $10/pop you are already probably at $60-$70 for each person. Add in desert and appetizers, you are easily pushing $100 a person. Alcohol can easily add another $20 per person...

If you can't stomach $100/person at a high end steak house, just go to your local grocery store and by some prepackaged steak and eat at home. Heck, a nice 16oz ribeye can easily run $20 bucks at Wholepaycheck or other decent grocery stores.
edit on 2-7-2021 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I think this goes beyond Right or Left.
I think this has been in the works for years.

They want us to squabble amongst ourselves so we don’t notice the changes, or when we do we just blame the other side. It’s working.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I think this goes beyond Right or Left.
I think this has been in the works for years.

They want us to squabble amongst ourselves so we don’t notice the changes, or when we do we just blame the other side. It’s working.

I think you're ignoring the posts. Edumakated stated it better than I did, but it's right there, the facts.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Tell me more of the evils of an HOA?

I am just typically glad for them so my neighbor doesn't build a car on their lawn. But you have my interest atm...

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I think you're ignoring the posts. Edumakated stated it better than I did, but it's right there, the facts.

I'm not ignoring it, I have a different opinion.

unintended consequences

Human behavior is predictable, so much so insurance companies have algorithms when you are most likely going to die.
You don't think tptb can't manipulate things?

Today it's 100 meal, tomorrow it's $200 of groceries or it's not worth it to let you in, tomorrow it's a credit score of x to let you shop in certain stores.
It's a slippery path.
edit on 2-7-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Ding ding winner.

I don't think I've been to a good steakhouse in 20 years that it was under $100 a person. Now if you want more bang for that $100 go to a Brazilian steakhouse and skip the salad bar and carb heavy sides. About the only time you're not paying a crazy amount for a good steak is if you buy by the cow.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Are there other places to eat that are more affordable?

I splurge a few times a year to eat at my local steak house, but damn, it's expensive!

Don't go for a corvette when you can only afford a cavalier...

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 12:19 PM
link   
If you cannot afford a place to eat then get over it.

*shrugggs*

edit on 2-7-2021 by Havamal because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2021 by Havamal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Skip the salad bar? Are you insane?

Skip the salad bar...... WTF????

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Havamal
If you cannot afford a place to eat then get over it.

True, but what happens when that $100 dinner turns into $500 $1500?

You don't think that's coming? I don't think we'll be like Venezuela, but we are going
to see changes. Enjoy that steak now.

Also, we are talking about steak but aren't really talking about steak!
edit on 2-7-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 12:29 PM
link   
What's the big deal? If people want to pay the prices, they will. If not theyll lower the prices or stop being a business.

Working as intended and per this article this place has lost at least 1 potential customer.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 12:30 PM
link   

High end place to eat. If you don't want to pay for it, don't go.

What is the problem! I can get a good lunch or dinner for $20 bucks at a local place. So you are mad?

High priced places are for people who want high end service. It is a way for high earners to show off.

I earn 6 figures, and eat at places like this once a year, at most.

Not important to me to show off. A good rib joint at $10 per plate is much better.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Resturants are notorious for elitism theres plenty of places that will cost you 500$ minimum in cloths just to get in the front door

Don't fell to bad most the time the food is just as mediocer as the casual place next door dont go out for good food go out for the experience most places can't deliver on the good food part

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied
What's the big deal? If people want to pay the prices, they will. If not theyll lower the prices or stop being a business.

Working as intended and per this article this place has lost at least 1 potential customer.

They probably gained a lot more.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Maybe cook your own meals if ya can't afford to eat out?

Grills and smokers aren't that expensive.

Whining about what a restaurant charges seems extremely petty.

"Kicks rocks, but I wanna eat there" (said in a whiny voice)... Grow up. If ya can't afford it, don't go!

If people don't go there, they'll either lower their prices or go out of business. If they stay open, it's because others can afford it and support said business.

Off topic, but I'm pissed about the skipping the salad bar comment. For Christ sake, WTF?

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The housing market isn't helping at all. And it's proving ops point.

Back a few months ago when big tech and banks were leaving Cali and NY, they were fleeing to Texas or other "tax haven" states. Now look at the housing there.
Thing is, there is a trend across the world. Only those who have equity in the market and seemingly the only ones maintaining purchasing power.
While the bottom half of the middle class is being left behind. The wealth in real estate is being propped up in the upper brackets of society. While everyone else is stuck in high rent.

Interesting times ahead.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Sounds like some people are butt hurt that they cannot afford to eat at a place that caters to the rich. If you are not rich, and you really want a meal there (why - make the same meal at home?), save your pennies and when you can make the nut, go for your bucket list.

I understand treating yourself.

I don't think the folks posting here are really the people they expect to show up to have dinner. I know I will avoid the place. I can do better with some good meat and a Weber kettle

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Havamal

Off topic, I have a Webber Kettle and a Oklahoma Joe's smoker and love them both.

Actually, I have like 15 different grills and smokers, but those two are my favorite!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join