It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone else noticed YouTube engaging in bait and switch

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: errck

It's not Youtube giving it to ya LOL, It's the channel you are watching LMAO

No no no no no. It's totally censorship.......or bait and switch........or something nefarious!

Couldn't possibly be the OP doesn't realise you can add a thumbnail to any video to make it look like something else so you click on it.

edit on 1662021 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:32 AM
link   
originally posted by: TerryDon79

I'm not stupid like you are clearly implying. I didn't click on any thumbnail.

Could you get the chosen episode to play? Until you do stop implying I'm an idiot.

edit on 6/16/21 by The2Billies because: clarification

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:32 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

I CAN watch it for free on Facebook and did

Yet you're using YouTube

I CAN also watch it for free on their APP for the phone

You're still using YouTube.

I CAN also watch it for free on their website and I did that also

So, um, YouTube?

There is no way to report it, I tried.

You know below the video there's a report button, right? Here, let me show you

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I'm not stupid like you are clearly implying.

Trying to watch a video you can watch in 3 different places, for free, you're trying to get it on YouTube?

I didn't click on any thumbnail.

Did you use magic?

Could you get the chosen episode to play?

No, because it's not there. You got tricked. HAHA!

Until you do stop implying I'm an idiot.

I'm not implying anything

link   

I CAN watch it for free on Facebook and did

Yet you're using YouTube

I CAN also watch it for free on their APP for the phone

You're still using YouTube.

I CAN also watch it for free on their website and I did that also

So, um, YouTube?

The person who posted it on facebook is NOT the producer and does not have rights to it. It is a bait and switch.

You know below the video there's a report button, right? Here, let me show you

There is no way to report it, I tried.

Did you bother to actually read the OP?

I did try to report it. You try and report a bait and switch, it is impossible, it is not one of the options. None of the options fit what I wanted to report. I said that clearly, stop treating me like a total imbecile when you didn't carefully read all my other posts.

I like to watch stuff like that on YouTube because it comes across better on my Smart TV so I tried it and was disgusted. Then went to their website to watch it but my smart TV doesn't do as well on the internet as on YouTube. I am not an idiot, I have reasons.

link   

Videos like this exist for literally every tv show and movie. It's not YouTube, it's torrent and shady streaming websites trying to get you to click the link to their websites.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I may be petty but I never watch or listen to the commercials. If there is no option to skip, I mute my sound and scroll my screen so that I only see the bottom part of the video. Never had one for 20 minutes before though.

edit on 16 6 2021 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Yep. The gist I got was "I suck at YouTube and didn't get to play what I wanted to! Waaaaah!"

I did try to report it. You try and report a bait and switch, it is impossible, it is not one of the options.

So you don't think the 8th option fits?

I said that clearly, stop treating me like a total imbecile when you didn't carefully read all my other posts.

I mean, if the shoe fits and all that

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Videos like this exist for literally every tv show and movie. It's not YouTube, it's torrent and shady streaming websites trying to get you to click the link to their websites.

YouTube allows it, so they are then responsible for not stopping it. It is bait and switch which is illegal and they have no mechanism for reporting it as their report buttons don't have that option.

I see the buttons are now posted - which one fits ? None of them. Which one would you use to report this?

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Yep. The gist I got was "I suck at YouTube and didn't get to play what I wanted to! Waaaaah!"

I did try to report it. You try and report a bait and switch, it is impossible, it is not one of the options.

So you don't think the 8th option fits?

I said that clearly, stop treating me like a total imbecile when you didn't carefully read all my other posts.

I mean, if the shoe fits and all that

I tried that, we'll see what happens.

I'll do it everytime now until they kick me off YouTube because they are making big bucks allowing the bait and switch and censoring with overly long ads.

I didn't see that as spam, I saw it as bait and switch, but I'll go with your definition and see what happens.

However, being rude and condescending wins no friends, only enemies, like you care.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:49 AM
link   

It won't block that one you linked directly, just stops ads popping up while viewing.

Also your link is some fools trying to leverage cash for their dodgy streaming service so best avoided.

Stream Online
91 subscribers
The Chosen - Season 2 Episode 4 || FULL (2021) EPISODESS
The Chosen Season 2 Episode 4 - subscribe and like to have more episodes and new episodes before release date ❤

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:50 AM
link   

allowing the bait and switch and censoring with overly long ads

It's not an ad. The YouTuber has uploaded that video and intentionally given it the wrong title for people like you to click on.

I didn't see that as spam

You forgot the other half...."or misleading". As in "The title is misleading as it isn't what's shown in the video"

However, being rude and condescending wins no friends, only enemies, like you care.

You're correct, I don't.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I wouldn't report it because I don't care and I don't think it's actually illegal?

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies

originally posted by: Cymru

If you are browsing on a desktop machine, install Ad Block Plus.

Successfully removes all of the ads.

And I agree, some of the "related" ads have jack all to do with the clip.

Oldskool Rave video from '91 and would I like to buy a credit card machine?

I have an ad blocker.

Would you try it on the clip I put in the OP? I don't think your ad blocker will get rid of this, but I could be wrong.

I use AdBlock Plus on my desktop. No ads on youtube what so ever. I clicked the link in the OP, no ad at all.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I don't see any ads at all on my PC. But then again I'm running Opera with their ad blocker on. But then again I try to watch You Tube on my Iphone or Ipad and get them there. You may want to try a different machine or the Opera browser.

Tried a couple of videos in edge and got ads all over the place. Didn't realize how much crap Opera was blocking.
edit on 16-6-2021 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 09:04 AM
link   

That's because this link is to an off YouTube site that is offering pirated content. Maybe try not to watch pirated content instead of trying to figure out how to report why someone isn't posting the pirated content you want to watch on YouTube.

This is the official YouTube channel for the program you are looking to steal.

Jesus may forgive you but the Peacock won't....

edit on 16-6-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
I wouldn't report it because I don't care and I don't think it's actually illegal?

The actual content owners have teams that comb through YouTube and elsewhere that report that they are directing people to pirated content. Most likely this video will be removed but the reality is twenty more will pop up so the good 'Christian's' will have options so they can violate the 8th Commandment when it comes to streaming video.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies

I'm not stupid like you are clearly implying. I didn't click on any thumbnail.

Could you get the chosen episode to play? Until you do stop implying I'm an idiot.

It's a bait n switch from the channel, not Youtube.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I've got a YT channel which isn't monetized, yet some of my vids have commercials before them.

This one always has a commercial
Something about us cover
youtu.be...

It's weird for sure

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join