It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone else noticed YouTube engaging in bait and switch

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Lately I have gone to search YouTube and a description shows up with the length of the video. Then I click on it and there is a stupid commercial that is multiple times longer than the clip I want to see. In some cases the "commercial" is over 20 minutes long, at least that is when I gave up and decided it was their way of censoring the clip.

In quite a few instances the clips were supposed to be short clips of Biden fumbling, mumbling, etc. as he is wont to do. But there have also been other instances such as a very mainstream and non-controversial religious show I like to watch. I decided to report the bait and switch today, but guess what, I could not. Their report mechanism has set categories and no "other" and no place to write in the problem.

Everytime I go to YouTube now to search for something it seems there is more bait and switch censorship. I know they have commercials, but the normal ones are quite short and definitely shorter than the clip I am looking for. This has to be one of two things: blatant censorship by making you give up on looking at the clip with a stupid commercial so long you give up OR pure and simple bait and switch, which is illegal.

Anyone else noticing this?

To see what I mean search Biden G7 gaffes and you will find most (not all, but many if not most) of the clips are now like that. Also try if you want, The Chosen Season 2 Episode 4 and you will see what I mean. The Chosen is no longer on YouTube it has it's own website and plays episodes on Facebook but someone else is pretending to be them and posting the episode except it is bait and switch.

(I'm adding this link to show you what I mean, this is an episode of the Christian show I like except it isn't.)

(I'm adding in this note also after a few comments
There is NO SKIP BUTTON on the hijacked bait and switch or censored by commercials ads and I have an ad blocker )

edit on 6/16/21 by The2Billies because: clarification

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

You don't have to watch the entire commercial, typically 5 seconds and no more than 15 seconds. It says 'skip ads' in the bottom right corner of the vid once the minimum amount of time is up.

And you don't need to watch any ads at all if you punch out to them through a Bing video search.

edit on 16-6-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I gave up on Youtube last year when many good channels got purged. Bitchute and Brighteon have some interesting videos come through at times. I still might watch bits and pieces of Youtube occasionally. Generally ads are short at the start, might get the rare one that has a few ads in it. Have occasionally been offered a longer ad, has a skip button if not interested in it after a few seconds.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

You don't have to watch the entire commercial, typically 5 seconds and no more than 15 seconds. It says 'skip ads' in the bottom right corner of the vid once the minimum amount of time is up.

And you don't need to watch any ads at all if you punch out to them through a Bing video search.

Except "skip ads" doesn't come up on these.

I know, I always click on skip ads when that happens.

FYI, there are NO "skip ad" buttons on these censored or bait and switch ads

edit on 6/16/21 by The2Billies because: formatting

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Link one.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:03 AM
link   

You know all these comps are the same people/owners?

You expect waaay too much from our jailers...nothing is setup for "us"...

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies

Except "skip ads" doesn't come up on these.

I know, I always click on skip ads when that happens.

FYI, there are NO "skip ad" buttons on these censored or bait and switch ads

I hate it when you keep hitting the "skip ad" button but it doesn't do anything.
My tablet needs looking at because when an ad interrupts, the tablet thinks the video is over and goes into sleep mode.
I used to like putting an interview or lecture on to listen to when falling asleep but the sudden stops keep jolting me awake.

My old tablet never showed any ads at all but it died....RIP.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:08 AM
link   

If you are browsing on a desktop machine, install Ad Block Plus.

Successfully removes all of the ads.

And I agree, some of the "related" ads have jack all to do with the clip.

Oldskool Rave video from '91 and would I like to buy a credit card machine?

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Link one.

Just did, put it in my OP. Thanks for suggesting it.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:11 AM
link   

We have seen 2 hour long ads, while our daughter has been watching Mik Maks (sp?), cocomelon and other kids programs. All can be skipped after 5 seconds or, at worst, you have to watch a 20 second ad.

This has to be one of two things:

This should be fun.

blatant censorship by making you give up on looking at the clip with a stupid commercial so long you give up

Damn them censoring Baa Baa Black Sheep and Wheels on the Bus!

OR pure and simple bait and switch, which is illegal.

Or you could, you know, hit the skip button?

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cymru

If you are browsing on a desktop machine, install Ad Block Plus.

Successfully removes all of the ads.

And I agree, some of the "related" ads have jack all to do with the clip.

Oldskool Rave video from '91 and would I like to buy a credit card machine?

I have an ad blocker.

Would you try it on the clip I put in the OP? I don't think your ad blocker will get rid of this, but I could be wrong.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

We have seen 2 hour long ads, while our daughter has been watching Mik Maks (sp?), cocomelon and other kids programs. All can be skipped after 5 seconds or, at worst, you have to watch a 20 second ad.

This has to be one of two things:

This should be fun.

blatant censorship by making you give up on looking at the clip with a stupid commercial so long you give up

Damn them censoring Baa Baa Black Sheep and Wheels on the Bus!

OR pure and simple bait and switch, which is illegal.

Or you could, you know, hit the skip button?

Once again on these THERE IS NO SKIP BUTTON

There are on real clips that aren't censored or hijacked for bait and switch, I know I use the skip button all the time.
Guess I'll need to quickly ad this into the OP before times up.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:14 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:16 AM
link   

So I clicked on your vid to take me to YouTube in an incognito tab and guess what? No ad!

#shockedface

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:20 AM
link   

THERE IS NO SKIP BUTTON

REALLY? NO SKIP BUTTON TO A VIDEO THAT ISN'T AN AD?

[mod edit]

It is an ad. It was supposed to be a TV show, a specific TV show, a religious one, in the one I linked, but it was bait and switched with a commercial for an ad for an entirely different show. If you clicked on the example in the OP you will see it is not all all what it was supposed to be. This is happening more and more on YouTube, especially with what is supposed to be clips that the liberal big tech overlords disapprove of.
edit on Wed Jun 16 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:22 AM
link   

What exactly is it you're trying to watch? You linked to a video called The Chosen - Season 2 Episode 4 HD (2021) FULL

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:23 AM
link   

So I clicked on your vid to take me to YouTube in an incognito tab and guess what? No ad!

#shockedface

Is it a religious show or a modern show that you saw. My bet was it was not a show with BCE characters, 30 BCE to be exact, but rather a very modern show. I tried again like you said that that is exactly what happened to me again. I was trying to watch THe Chosen Season 2 Episode 4 a show about Jesus and the disciples set in 30 BCE. What I get is a very modern 2022 hour long ad for a 2022 very modern show.

This sort of thing also happens to me on YouTube when I searched for clips of Bidens gaffes.

It has been happening more and more when I search for things that are either something big tech liberal CEO's are trying to suppress.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:25 AM
link   

#shockedface

Is it a religious show or a modern show that you saw. My bet was it was not a show with BCE characters, 30 BCE to be exact, but rather a very modern show. I tried again like you said that that is exactly what happened to me again.

Oh I get it. You're trying to watch a show for free and are wondering why the video isn't the video you want to watch.

Here's 2 solutions,
1, stop being so cheap and pay to watch it
2, this stuff happens all the time, deal with it and try searching again.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:27 AM
link   
It's not Youtube giving it to ya LOL, It's the channel you are watching LMAO

Stream Online
90 subscribers

Pretty sure that channel does not own the rights to "The Chosen", they want you to click on a link to watch it elsewhere.

Nothing to see here.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:29 AM
link   

#shockedface

Is it a religious show or a modern show that you saw. My bet was it was not a show with BCE characters, 30 BCE to be exact, but rather a very modern show. I tried again like you said that that is exactly what happened to me again.

Oh I get it. You're trying to watch a show for free and are wondering why the video isn't the video you want to watch.

Here's 2 solutions,
1, stop being so cheap and pay to watch it
2, this stuff happens all the time, deal with it and try searching again.

I CAN watch it for free on Facebook and did

I CAN also watch it for free on their APP for the phone

I CAN also watch it for free on their website and I did that also

(by their, I mean "The Chosen" which is the name of the website and the facebook page)

The person who posted it on facebook is NOT the producer and does not have rights to it. It is a bait and switch.
There is no way to report it, I tried.

This has also happened to me on clips that big tech CEO's are trying to censor and are censoring.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join