It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the decline of friendship causing the obsession of pets?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 08:24 PM
link   
A little sad fact...

“I Have No Friends”: Why Friendships Are In Decline In Modern Times And What To Do About It
FEBRUARY 5, 2019 written by LANE GOODWIN

Friends are awesome. People with close friends are happier, healthier, saner 1, and they live longer2.
Unfortunately, friendships are in decline. “I have no friends” is a common complaint of our times. Although humanity is more connected than ever thanks to the internet and smartphones, modern humans have an increasingly harder time making friends.

lanegoodwin.com...

I have always believed pets are part of the family.

But I am old school enough to think the “I am a pet parent” stickers are a bit silly. And “I’m a grandparent to a scottish terrier” stickers. Or whatever breed thy proclaim are a bit outrageous and extreme. And a sad play for attention.

However. With friendships on the decline. Extreme pet ownership makes more sense...

Probably for another thread. But I think extreme dedication to children might play a part too in the decline of friendships. Very much different than my grandparents day when children were for labor for chores.

edit on 20-5-2021 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

Well i mean, i love my dog and he's part of the family, but he's not the same as a human friend. He's better.

Also, i agree, pet parent sticker crap is cringey...i literally actually cringe looking at the coffee cups, stickers and crap like that behind the counter when i get pet food.

Very much different than my grandparents day when children were for labor for chores.

My dad and my uncle made me and my cousin carry 2x15s stapled together up a mountain, through the forest so he could build a picnic table in the forest. In the pissing rain, because he thought it would be fun...and it was...kids are #ing lazy these days.
edit on 20/5/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on May, 20 2021 @ 09:05 PM
link   

URGENT NEW HOME WANTED !!!!!
This is Bella, she’s an 8 week-old German Sheppard puppy, I bought her as a surprise for my wife for Christmas but it turns out she is allergic to dogs so I am now urgently looking to find her a new home I don't want any money just free to a good home.
Her name is Tracy she's 49 years old, a beautiful and caring woman who drives, she is a great cook, good with kids and always keeps a clean house.

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 09:06 PM
link   

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 09:07 PM
link   

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse

URGENT NEW HOME WANTED !!!!!
This is Bella, she’s an 8 week-old German Sheppard puppy, I bought her as a surprise for my wife for Christmas but it turns out she is allergic to dogs so I am now urgently looking to find her a new home I don't want any money just free to a good home.
Her name is Tracy she's 49 years old, a beautiful and caring woman who drives, she is a great cook, good with kids and always keeps a clean house.

Sadly to say but perhaps it is time to put the ole girl down.

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Don't be calling your cats friends....we are their servants, that is it. Know your place in this world people, keep the cats fed and drizzled in tweets and they may purr at you and allow you to pet them.

Saying the cats are our friends is like me saying I am a friend of a famous movie star or the leaders of the country. You can pretend you are their friend, but in essence you are just a groupy following them.

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

Damn Damn Damn

You're in Florida and I'm in Central Illinois, otherwise I'd be there first thing in the morning. Hope you find that baby a good home.

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 11:17 PM
link   

You seem like my kind of guy.

In my life, I've had lots of friends, family, and other assorted humans. I've never been screwed over by a dog.

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Actually I can relate. I have many friends, however since March 15th 2019 during a shut down of businesses and restriction on travel except the essentials like EMS, grocery stores, police and certain restaurants that either delivers or mask up pick up service.

So naturally, I have stayed at home and binge watched on TV shows and this tablet. You're right, you can get use to the quiet calm of being behind closed doors for many. I haven't seen friends and family since March of 2019. All that changed today as my dad and mom met me for Chicken Wings at a local VFW (#9199). Admittedly I had a Stealthy Ninja cutting some onions near my eyes ( I'm welling up now typing this ).

Ok, so during this extended time I called my true friends often and emailed them.

So I have 2 dogs, Murphy and Benni.
Any dog I've ever had were my kids. No I don't dress them up or talk like a mother or father in a weird high tone voice. But I do talk to them. They go with me everywhere around the house and have a bit of a clingy personalities. Yep they're my babies and they don't complain, very loving and forgiving. In fact they are curled up on the couch with me now. Murphy is 122 pounds of "I need to go to bed with you" so he takes up a huge chunk of pillows and leave me a good foot of bed. Then Benni comes and takes up more of the bed....... ( I have a protective queen size blanket they lay on )

They're my kids alright. i miss them when I'm out to long, and there is a huge production when I *come home.

So yes i can relate to being home with my family of 2 kids. I'm having a hard time dealing with strangers at the grocery store,. They are rude and act like you don't exist, or they deliberately go the wrong way in the isles then get huffy puffy with me though I'm following the stores rule of ONE WAY ISLES WITH SIGNS ON THE FLOOR THAT ARE ARROWS SHOWING THE DIRECTION TO GO.

For me it's come down to seeing peoples real colours. I don't feel like dealing with them anymore.
And certain friends went a bit nuts over this last year. I love my boys exponentially more and more daily. Some people really Stink On Ice. But my boys🤗

Well, it's 12:54AM here and the boys are now at my feet waiting for me to go to bed.

I LOVE MY BOYS 😏

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 12:20 AM
link   
You can take my wife.
Take my truck , maybe.
My dog , NEVER .

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I would change the title of this thread to....

“Is the increase of people being dumb, selfish, egotistical, jerk offs leading to the obsession with pets?”

People generally suck. Since the rise of social media it’s only gotten worse. Maybe I’m being too cynical but it’s the truth.

But my dogs don’t care. They don’t care if I’m poor, or if I’m tired, sad, happy, sober, drunk, or even if I haven’t showered in a few days. They are still just as happy to see me when I get home even if I’m only gone a few hours like it’s a family reunion.

We live in far too much of a narcissistic society to get that kind of unconditional love from people.

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Oh man such cuteness. Little Bella is adorbs!

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 07:55 AM
link   

The animals in my life have always been among my best friends, cats and dogs. There's something powerful about forging a relationship, and if you're lucky, an actual friendship, with an animal despite the barriers of species and language.

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
There's something powerful about forging a relationship, and if you're lucky, an actual friendship, with an animal despite the barriers of species and language.

The language barrier is on your end, I suspect our pets have a high degree of frustration that we're too dumb to understand what the hell they're saying.

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

"How can he not understand that I want that bacon?! Dumb humans"

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64
LOL
Go back and read it again. I think you missed something.

As far as people/vs pets?

Stab you in the back, cheat with a spouse, steal, lie.
Love you unconditionally, lick your tears, keep you warm.

Which do you want?
I do have a few very close friends, that I would do anything for. Of course, they are all animal lovers as well.
Not "dress up my daughter (cat)" lovers, thank goodness. LOL

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Its in place of having children, they are perpetually needy and morally safe to put in a cage.

Love slaves really

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody

The animals in my life have always been among my best friends, cats and dogs. There's something powerful about forging a relationship, and if you're lucky, an actual friendship, with an animal despite the barriers of species and language.

They ever cook you dinner, or give you a lift when your car breaks down?

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The decline of intelligence IMHO.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join