It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's Facebook ban upheld by Oversight Board

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

It's not as simple as you make it sound.
Twitter is walking a line between a hosting sight and a media outlet.
Both of those have different rules.

They are legally required to apply their terms of use equally which is where I have an issue with twitter.

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Of course, there was no other decision the board could have made. It would be politically incorrect to allow Trump back on Facebook.

Conservative voices are deemed by Big Tech to be evil and the people who believe them evil and harmful to society. The same stand the Democratic Party takes, conservatives should be silenced and not allowed to speak because they are all evil. The same stand CNN, MSNBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, NY TImes, Google, Twitter, takes, conservatives must not be allowed to speak to the public because people should not be allowed to hear what any conservative or Republican has to say.

I am waiting to be banned for life from Facebook now because I wrote something nice about Tim Scott and posted his speech on my Facebook page. I almost never use or look at Facebook except to see pics of grandkids, but Tim Scott's speech so moved me I posted it on my Facebook page.

The board will probably convene and decide that liking Tim Scott's speech is evil and harmful and I must be banned. I expect it any day now.

Here is the speech I posted I expect to be banned over. Scott had the audacity to praise Trump's administration and to say America is not a fundamentally racist nation. Something that Facebook finds to be an unacceptable thing to think, let alone say out-loud, and is dangerous for the American people to hear from anyone.

Two things that Big Tech/Dems/MSM can not allow people to hear from anyone because they feel America was born in evil, the people are fundamentally racist/sexist, and the USA is the most evil nation on the planet and the cause of the ills of the entire world. The opposite of what Tim Scott had to say and so Democratic Politicians and pundits called him "Uncle Tim" and an "Oreo" because they are so woke, politically correct, and free of racism.

edit on 5/5/21 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: ATruGod

The board said that Trump “created an environment where a serious risk of violence was possible” by maintaining a narrative that the 2020 presidential election was fraudulent.

I have to say, if true fraud is found, the repercussions of these clowns will be epic on a scale never before witnessed.

Yeah, I guess these same motherfrickers zoned out every time a democrat opened their mouth from 2016 to 2020 then. I guess they closed their eyes to every act of violence committed by democrat founded and funded groups like antifa and bLM.

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ATruGod

There making a huge mistake if he was on their platform at least they had some control. Now hes opening his own media platform so not only will thet have compitition they lose any control they had. I dont think these people understand the more they go after Trump the more hes going to look good in the future. 20 years from now it will just look like Trump was wrongly attacked by democrats, people will see the two attempted impeachments as proof he was maligned. And this will damag the democrats in the long run. The stupid part is Trump deserved most of it but he will come out of it looking good because people dont know when to stop. When you take things to far you become the bad guy
edit on 5/5/21 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

How people used to do that before fb?

I don't believe what you said is a good reason.

I think fb users mostly like to seek popularity.

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I think some of you aren't reading too deep...

The Board basically said this, you can't indefinitely suspend Donald Trumps account because and I quote....

The oversight board said, however, that it was not appropriate for Facebook to vary from its normal penalties when it made the ban indefinite. Facebook’s normal penalties include removing posts, imposing a limited suspension or permanently disabling an account, the board said.

“As Facebook suspended Mr. Trump’s accounts ‘indefinitely,’ the company must reassess this penalty,” the board said. “It is not permissible for Facebook to keep a user off the platform for an undefined period, with no criteria for when or whether the account will be restored.”

In other words...

The Oversight Board is clearly telling Facebook they can’t invent new, unwritten rules when it suits them,” said Helle Thorning-Schmidt, a co-chair of the Oversight Board and a former prime minister of Denmark, on a call with reporters.

All in all, they will reconvene in SIX(6) Months to determine what will happen to Trumps account, in the MEANTIME his account will continuw to remain suspended until that time again.

So yeah, a SIX(6) month extension for the full decision.

At the end of the day, Trump doesn't care and the language used by the OPs article tries to make it so that Trump has been waiting and wanting to post, simply not true.

Now that the Country knows a sitting US President can be banned on Social Media, it'll create a whole new sphere of influence with pushback.

These platforms are on life support, like Myspace, they will obscure to something newer and more relatable.
edit on 5-5-2021 by Arnie123 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I have to agree. Let them ban Trump permanently. My only beef is that these same people are the first ones to throw a fit when someone in their circle of rejects are rejected at a private business. If facebook doesn't want me as a customer, I'll go elsewhere. If Great Cookie Co. doesn't want to make me a personalized cookie that says MAGA, I'll go elsewhere.

If Trump's politics aren't good enough for facebook then neither are mine. I won't lose sleep either way. I prefer Gab anyways.

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I would argue that you can preach on public sidewalks without permits at a college because the college doesn't own the sidewalks. Now, there may be a municipal authority that necessitates a permit for such a thing, but a college cannot ban a single type of protected free speech, especially on a part of their property that they don't own.

And while you are correct that the first amendment is written as a directive only to the federal government, said government has already passed laws mandating private businesses to adhere to things like the free practice of religion in the workplace. So, while you are technically correct, even our own government rejects the reality that the 1st Amendment only exists to limit their ability to remove said freedoms.

Some of these businesses are caught between a rock and a hard place, but if I were to want to err on the side of caution, it would be to maintain private business' autonomy over their own policies on who to allow to use it and how they can use it. That includes the ability to remove religious practices while an employee is on the clock, or a baker's right to refuse service to someone for personal reasons, or a right not to serve a police officer, or the right to only cater to police officers. The court of public opinion can then determine if their actions are going to have repercussions on their business, like with Facebook and Twitter. No one is forced to use these platforms for anything.

ETA: And like others have said and I forgot to mention, the current issue lies with these businesses (and colleges, per your example) not being able to single out an individual for one thing and banning them, yet letting groups like BLM or Antifa, who definitely use the same platforms to incite violent protests, get away with the same activity and not banning them. It's he selective adherence to their "policy" that is causing the uproar more than anything else, IMO.
edit on 5-5-2021 by SlapMonkey because: I already said why above...so that's why

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

ZSuckerBerger and/or the Board will never be held accountable; look what transpired out of the US congress hearings

nothingburger

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Oversight board?
Dollars to donuts that the oversight board consists of three purple haired overweight lesbians.

Yeah, kind of funny that huh? Donald Trump, the only one who can save America, the lynch pin to restoring true American values and the Spearhead, the Ramrod that is going to strike straight into the heart of the deep state and drain the swamp being so effectively blocked by three purple haired overweight lesbians. Yep, kinda makes one laugh.

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

How people used to do that before fb?

I don't believe what you said is a good reason.

I think fb users mostly like to seek popularity.

In all fairness, you have stated that you don't and won't use it. It could be that you are just creating a motive out of thin air here.

Yes, i am sure the little dopamine hit they get from likes is something most folks enjoy. Thats well documented. But the entire purpose of FB is to connect family and friends. The platform is designed for that function.

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: Bluntone22

Oversight board?
Dollars to donuts that the oversight board consists of three purple haired overweight lesbians.

Yeah, kind of funny that huh? Donald Trump, the only one who can save America, the lynch pin to restoring true American values and the Spearhead, the Ramrod that is going to strike straight into the heart of the deep state and drain the swamp being so effectively blocked by three purple haired overweight lesbians. Yep, kinda makes one laugh.

I disagree. A couple of them probably had green stringy hair like girls who have been swimming in a nasty lake, and blue hair. All gross looking and unqualified nonetheless.

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

But they are diverse...
Seriously though.
Anyone that thinks an oversight board actually had a serious discussion about trump being reinstated is an idiot.

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: seeker1963

I'd say north of 90% of all FB users are very dissatisfied with the platform. But what are your alternatives? Where else do you have so much access to family and friends?

The problem with FB is the complete lack of competition.

Remember that FB isn't the internet and that we've moved from various platforms -- remember how huge MySpace was? At one point everyone's family and friends were there. LiveJournal was another huge community. Now the younger generation is moving from FB to TikTok and other similar apps (Tumblr is very popular for artists.) There's competition galore and at some point the migration from FB to something else will send FB into the dust bin of history.

And Trump and Lindell both said they were starting platforms.

Plenty of places. People shouldn't act like Twitter and FB and Youtube are the whole of the Internet.

but the same token smart people shouldn't pretend like these current monopoly players aren't shutting down conservative voices. It is legal as they are private businesses, but it's wrong morally, and there is something that can be done to punish them. I'm sure in time the tides will shift, but until then, watching someone on the left cheer for this really shows true honest character. Or lack thereof.

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Do you know what else is actually contained within the parameters of being a " private business'?
Big Pharma companies.
Yet left leaning individuals have a fit with the cost of epipens and insulin, as well as other drugs.
Does your love for the rights of private businesses extend to these companies as well, or is your love a one way street walked mostly by hypocrites?

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arizona2

Do you know what else is actually contained within the parameters of being a " private business'?
Big Pharma companies.
Yet left leaning individuals have a fit with the cost of epipens and insulin, as well as other drugs.
Does your love for the rights of private businesses extend to these companies as well, or is your love a one way street walked mostly by hypocrites?

Imagine big oil refusing to sell gas in california because of their policies.....lol

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Even as it may be, the color hair and all, it's still a comical juxtaposition.

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 01:06 PM
link   

would you have same opinion if fb bans Obama, Hillary or Pelosi???

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 01:09 PM
link   

. But the entire purpose of FB is to connect family and friends. The platform is designed for that function.

That was a trap. Today you can see fb real agenda.

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I absolutely love this!

All the politards and Qballs on my feed now have something else to cry about besides their EDS

Excuse me while I make some popcorn

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join