It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Harvard Librarian Too Pretty for Promotion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
A well educated Harvard Librarian is suing the University over the fact that she has been turned down for several promotions. In 2001 April Goodwin was shocked when her supervisor told her she was "seen merely as a pretty girl who wore sexy outfits, low cut blouses, and tight pants." After that comment from him she claims she modified her appearance and was still turned down form promotions.

story.news.yahoo.com
A Harvard University librarian claims in a lawsuit that she has been rejected repeatedly for promotion because she is black and is perceived as just a "pretty girl" whose attire was too "sexy."

As a jury was chosen Monday to decide her federal lawsuit, Desiree Goodwin said she's been rejected for 16 jobs at Harvard since 1999, when she completed her master's degree in library science after attending night classes at Simmons College for 4 1/2 years.

Goodwin, 40, also has a master's degree in English literature, seven years of experience in the library of Boston College and another nine years as an assistant librarian at Harvard.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A case like this can go either way. Either she was just bad at her job and found a reason to complain, or Harvard was sexist. Apparently lawyers from both sides were trying to reach a deal on Monday, but neither side would comment:

At the encouragement of U.S. District Judge Joseph Tauro, lawyers for both Goodwin and Harvard huddled in the court hallways Monday to discuss a possible settlement. Neither side would comment.

April Goodwin:

[edit on (3/22/0505 by PistolPete]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Harvard has become so overcome with political correctness that it's controversies are overshadowing their academic reputation. The very fact that Cornel West holds a chair there is bad enough, but the recent PC vilification campaign against the Chancellor is the perfect example of the hysteria that consumes the campus.

Of course, I am offended by women who dress seductively in the work place, because those are the very ones who scream bloody murder when some poor guy's eyes wander a bit too far south.

[edit on 05/3/22 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Interesting...but I have to say she doesn't exactly look like a perfect 10 to me.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Yeah man, i was expecting a Jessica Alba.

She is not a Jessica Alba.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
man, if a girl looks good you promote her!!
shame on these ppl, discrimination is horrible.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Hey, the woman is 40 years old.

I would kill 20 times over to find a Ivy Legue librarian, let alone one that looks like that at 40!

She no doubt can discuss a lot of good books along with being attractive. I'm going to follow this case as I've lost all faith in women.

Even the educated ones.

I hope Ms. April Goodwin proves me wrong!

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 03:00 AM
link   
40? damn she dont even look 25.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by PistolPete
Hey, the woman is 40 years old.

I would kill 20 times over to find a Ivy Legue librarian, let alone one that looks like that at 40!

She no doubt can discuss a lot of good books along with being attractive. I'm going to follow this case as I've lost all faith in women.

Even the educated ones.

I hope Ms. April Goodwin proves me wrong!

Pete that is so sad. Why have you lost faith in us women types?
I really hope this is not a classic case of being held back because of gender. If she is capable of doing the jobs she had been passed over for, I hope she wins. On the other hand if she is not, she should be fired on the spot.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Ohh the wonderful US of A... sooo tolerant of sex, creed and race.. no i REALLY mean it...

Makes you almost want to emigrate there... NOT!!!

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I stand by my comment.

If she looked like Jessica Alba, i would promote her in a flash.

(Hides behind desk to avoid flames)

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:40 AM
link   
i'm with you mate! if she was Jessica Alba, I'd want her CEO in no time! I wish she'd call me up to her office for a 'straightening out' anyday!

Giggity Giggity Gigg-gi-ty!

[edit on 22-3-2005 by drfunk]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
IUf they call that sexy at Harvard I don't want to know how the ugly ones look....

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
She looks alright. Not THAT attractive. Not unless they have an area full of ugly girls.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Ohhhh, so THATS WHY i didnt get the promotion. Hmmmm.....

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I do think that the school has a right to not promote her if she wears unacceptable attire. However, it looks like she wasn't wearing unacceptable attire, because they never warned her, and kept her on the job.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Tell me about, Dg, back in the 80s I was told by "some" that I was to pretty to be taken seriously.

Can you believe that, I am not kidding,

And the bad think is I wasn't even a blond.
Occurs that was before the laws about harassment.

Yes I was harassed a lot through the years, occurs now a days I just tell them to go "bug off" as you get older you get bolder

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
the only way i'd promote her is if she was excellent at oral presentations. you must be good at speaking for many college positions. i'd put her through a rigorous regiment of oral testing and written examines. it's all about the position she is in. the promotion may be a position she is not accustomed to. so i would also make sure to teach her the new position. unless she has this boss on tape saying that she is too pretty for the job i wouldn't believe her. she is just looking for some fame.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Do people realize that she is 40 years old? She's hands down amazing, if I had a wife, I can only hope she will look like that when she is Goodwins age.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I agree with Feklar: its all about how she does orally and what positions she can be in.

[edit on 22-3-2005 by Mr No One]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
So that's why I never made upper management! I'm too sexy for my corner office....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join