It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enjoy your idiocy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 02:25 AM
link   
As idiocracy is on the rise, I thought a friendly reminder of the advantages and importance of idiots for our society will not hurt anyone.

This song sums it up well

Not everyone is fluent in spanish so i will translate some of the more memorable passages.
Idiots are those who think everyone is an idiot except themselves.
While the wise is worried the idiot is relaxed because he doesn't worry about things.
I'd rather listen to an idiot babble than a wise, cause of all the trash the idiot lets loose there might be a nugget amongst, the one the wise would have kept a secret fearing to be judged for it.
The most dangerous are idiots with powers.

Embrace your idiocy

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Yes, I agree with this, to a point

The Dunning-Kruger Effect Explained. Named after psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger, the Dunning-Kruger effect is a type of cognitive bias that causes people to overestimate their knowledge or ability, particularly in areas with which they have little to no experience. ... Cognitive biases are like blind spots

Apparently it goes both ways.
ie really smart people thinking, that everyone else should understand where they are coming from.
aka: Imposter Syndrome.

It is unfortunate that competence and arrogance are so often inversely proportional.

knowing what you don't know is a relatively advanced state of mastery.

"I don't know" is a good answer to many questions.

I do think choosing/pretending to remain ignorant is highly problematic though.

As people, I definitely prefer humble idiots to arrogant geniuses.

edit on 0000004044644America/Chicago24 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

All I know is that I don't know nothin', and that's fine.

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Exactly!

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 08:45 AM
link   
OK. Whatever.

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: rom12345

I flipped into Jimmy Kimmel a couple of nights ago and he did a little bit of street interview.

I guess that we all recall that Leno used to do interviews on the street with people who didn't know simple things like who was the first president or who won the first world war. Those were funny enough though saddening at the same time. And of course we know that the interviews were ''cut'' to show the stupid answers and not those who got the questions right.

And of course there were the Fallon street interviews where the interviewer asked questions and muddled the questions by scrambling words nonsensically after the person had decided that they knew the answers enough to give an opinion all the while not hearing what was being said to them at all.

But this series on Kimmel was very interesting. With a microphone shoved in their faces and a camera pointed in their direction, the interviewer asked questions about last nights Oscar awards. Of course the Oscar awards at not until a couple of days from now, but that did not seem to matter.

The questions sounded legit and done with a straight face. Those interviewed then acted as if they had seen the previous nights ceremony and one after another expounded on their impressions of what had been on. It was hilarious yet deeply concerning. Just like my post here, making an attempt to appear intelligent while all the while very possibly not knowing much at all as certainly the whole bit could have just been set up, that is the people were told it was a phony interview and they were to make up stupid stuff to make it funny.

Yet I think not. Decades ago I was sitting at a bar when I was approached by a guy who said he was working for the local newspaper. He wanted my opinion on how well OJ Simpson would do in the upcoming playoffs. Well, I din't know $hit from Shinola about that years football season but I expounded with my opinion none the less. What I spewed out was exactly the same kind of stuff that I heard being said by those people in Kimmel's interview, mainly pure rubbage.

There seems to be something about us not wanting to look stupid going on, especially when there is a camera filming it or a microphone recording it. I guess that there is a lot of psychological study that has gone on about how our consciousness is being transformed by the ubiquitous presence of devices that can elevate any of us up onto the ''big screen'' of life that is so much more impressive than our own small and meaningless lives. I dunno

Oh, that newspaper guy was for real. Two days later my picture showed up in the sports section with the crap I had flung as if it was real. I was ashamed and vowed to myself that the next time that type of situation occurred I would be honest and proclaim I don't know S from S so go interview someone who gives a flying frog. I"m still waiting.

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 11:22 AM
link   

edit on 24/4/2021 by shooterbrody because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene
...I'd rather listen to an idiot babble than a wise, cause of all the trash the idiot lets loose there might be a nugget amongst, the one the wise would have kept a secret fearing to be judged for it.
The most dangerous are idiots with powers.

Yep. This is a why I check in on Alex Jones daily.

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Smart enough to know how big of a moron I am!!!

Wish other folks also had a clue.

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: rom12345

I know there are things, i don't even know there is something to know about...
The known unknown is just a matter of motivation the unknown unknown is where growth resids...

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

If i want someone screaming at me i go have a blaze in my moms basement...

I never understood the fascination for that caracter, I liked him more when he was bill hicks

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 03:05 PM
link   

If I were to take this thread seriously,that would
prove my idiocy.

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Seriousness is not an idiots trait...

Which reminded me of another part from that song.

It would be idiocy
taking life to serious.
We need idiots
for comedy to exist.
And being able to make fun of them,
as well as one's self;
Being an idiot is not so bad
if you look at it with optimism.
edit on 24-4-2021 by Terpene because: Lyrics

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Oh,I know how to turn a thread into a play thread in
a heart beat.

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Whatever that means?... have at it

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 03:11 AM
link   

See I told you I was an idiot, if for no other reason than all the idiots I hang with.

But no worries I've never been attracted to power.

edit on 14-9-2023 by Saloon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Saloon

jinMI said it best! good company is still worth a lot

top topics

join