It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIY tips, simple stuff

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Now, this topic may be a little "feminine" for some here, but trust my loafers are fully weighted. In any case, I like candles. They're very old school, and I like (and collect) old oil lamps too. As I have noted in the past I'm am very into old west customs (including cast iron for cooking, obviously).

At the same time, I can be kind of OCD about things, and one of them is unburnt candles, or candles which burn unevenly. A good balsam candle or evergreen candle can be a very nice thing in a rustic home, and having them go to waste is, well, a waste. So, what to do?

It's easy enough to make some candles, but I don't. They're far easier to buy, but I like to buy quality woodsy type candles. Here are some tips for candles (for those interested). If not interested, then no need to reply.

1. Assist a candle to burn evenly to begin with. If it's in a jar, shield the side which is still solid wax to heat it up so the candle burns evenly across. never let a candle "tunnel" (i.e. make a divot).

2. Always trim the wick before you light a candle. The wick should be short. If it's not, the flame will get too hot and tunnel the candle. Make sure to trim the wick before you light the candle. Otherwise the carbon wick will wind up in the melted wax and make it smell burnt.

3. Some candles just burn out. Even Yankee candles (reputed to be the best, but I would contest this). When they do, it's time to consider re-wicking them. This is really easy, and the interwebz will make it seem way harder than it really is. All you have to do is soak some butcher twine in some olive oil or cooking oil for about 1 minute and then dip the string in some melted wax. Then stick the string into the candle (sometimes you have to drill a hole).

4. When all else fails, and your candle just won't light anymore, then do this; put your candle in a pot of boiling water and melt the wax. Pull out all the wicks and try to clean out the wax as much as possible. Then, re-cast the wax in a candle container with a wick (from above)...and you're good to go! You can do this with multiple old candles, but I try to keep them separate, both in color and scent.

Hope this helps!

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Hope this helps!

Helps what? I didn't know we had a problem.

edit on 4/3/2021 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Hope this helps!

Helps what? I didn't now we had a problem.

Your "tender and more sensitive" side!!

LOLOLOLOL!!!!

**smackin' leg a little**

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Watch the shops that buy and resell stock from damaged warehouses.

I wound up with a few hundred tall, narrow candles in glass jars a couple years back.... for something like 20 cents a candle.
maybe 9" tall x 2" across. They're just straight unscented paraffin wax. They don't put off much light, but a few of them is enough to get around a room when the lights go out.
Would be even better if they didn't have weird catholic church stickers on them, but the price was right.

They don't tunnel, because they're too narrow- when the wick gets longer and they burn hotter, it just melts the top layer of wax- because the wax can't drip down, it just creates a pool and the wicks suck it up into the flame.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Anyone have any wood wick burning candles? I like them.

We have a fireplace in our bedroom, and the fireglow is nice, as is the crackling wood. But, sometimes the wife gets nervous with a fire burning when we're asleep (the fire makes me sleep...HARD). One alternative I've found is to set some wood-wick candles on the mantle. Then we have the same effect of the fire, but with candles.

The dogs love it too, and they lay in the place of the fireplace all the same.

The wicks are cedar, so you get a nice crackle at the same time as a good flame to burn down the wax.

The wood-wick candles are not cheap though, but sometimes I can find some good ones at the dollar store for about $4 bucks.
edit on 4/3/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Thanks for the tips.

I have built a shrine to the Virgin of Guadalupe and burn votive candles when I pray to the Holy Mother.

I'm not even a Catholic or Hispanic but for some reason I feel a strong affinity to the Virgin of Guadalupe.
edit on 3-4-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

If they hadn't canned halloween last year I was going to set up a 10' pentagram with my catholic priest candles in the driveway...

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I’m super picky about candle scents. I order from one place (not Yankee).
The last time I ordered the candle had zero scent, I was so disappointed.
I sent them an email asking if something changed because I didn’t want to order if they changed the scent.
They sent me 3 candles free & they were back to normal scent. I think that is some great
Customer service.

These are the wood wick type of candles, I love them.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Back when I was 10-13 I started collecting candles. From thrift stores and rummage sales mostly. I made some.

When you have a pre-teen, with a room FULL of candles all burning at the same time, things become very dangerous, very quickly.

Don't allow your pre-teen that opportunity. That's my tip!

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Have you got any tips for burning the old oil lamps? I feel like I can never get mine adjusted right. I've either got it turned down too low, or else it's too high and it just flickers and stinks up the room.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I like candles.

i'm just dissapointed more than angry.
you broke my heart fcd.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 11:51 PM
link   

I'm not a fan of Yankee, I think it's just a lot of hype and people that don't know any better recommending the first popular name brand they can think of. Problem is my only other options are boutique candles from Amazon or other smaller online specialty stores and those get extremely pricey very quickly. My fiancee gave me one she found online for Christmas last year called "Deez Nuts" and when it was close to dead I went looking for a replacement and it was $40+ for a relatively small one. What other companies would you recommend?

Also, along the same lines (sort of) I enjoy soap that isn't insanely overpowering and middle school locker room scented (Axe) but has a lingering scent. The best I've found are Duke Cannon and Dr. Squatch. I love the Duke Cannon pine scent bar but I'm currently alternating between a bar of Smells Like Naval Supremacy and a bottle of Thick: Smells Like Old Glory. There's also one made with Kentucky Bourbon I love but can't remember the name of right now.

Anyway, point before the blabbering was if you enjoy woodsy scent, try the Duke Cannon pine bar and Dr. Squatch pine tar soap.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Magnivea

I'm not a fan of Yankee, I think it's just a lot of hype and people that don't know any better recommending the first popular name brand they can think of. Problem is my only other options are boutique candles from Amazon or other smaller online specialty stores and those get extremely pricey very quickly. My fiancee gave me one she found online for Christmas last year called "Deez Nuts" and when it was close to dead I went looking for a replacement and it was $40+ for a relatively small one. What other companies would you recommend?

Maybe the reason people recommend Yankee is because of the reasons you state. I like Yankee because their candles burn evenly and all the way to the bottom and because they're not overpriced for what you get.

I don't mean to be rude, but maybe you're a candle snob and looking for an artisan candle at mass production prices!

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I like those birthday candles that stay lit no matter how much you try to blow them out.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 05:39 AM
link   

You gonna do a companion thread on bubble baths next?

top topics

join