It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weber 22 and the Vortex

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I got a free Weber 22 on the side of the road last summer. It looked fantastic, so i threw it in the truck. I used it through the winter for smoking and grilling various things. Decided to fix the easy clean fixture and order a new grill grate that had the removable middle this past week. I also went ahead and ordered a Vortex while I was at it.

The Vortex is just a steel cone that is about 10" on one end, 4" on the other, and stands about 6" tall. You dump charcoal into it, and it concentrates heat and turns the kettle into a convection oven. I have smoked chicken a million times, but have never gotten a bite through skin. That has now all changed. Last night, i did these wings:

The Vortex kept the Weber at 375 for over an hour. I put a piece of cherry wood on the removable grate in the middle. It made the best chicken I have ever eaten in my life. The rub is simply Chupacabra Cluckalicious. I sauced some with Franks Red Hot, some i left naked.

I can't stop thinking about how good that chicken was. Now i am going to have to do more this weekend. Maybe some lollipops or something.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

This looks so good! I'll have to tell my resident charcoal griller to try this out.

That corn looks so good, too.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Those wings look effing good!

PS: You should send a pic to Weber.... your wings look better than the ones on their website. I was looking at the Vortex cone there and they show wings cooked using it.
edit on b000000312021-03-30T11:32:47-05:0011America/ChicagoTue, 30 Mar 2021 11:32:47 -05001100000021 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I almost bought corn last week at the farmer's market, but I am afraid to buy it this early in the season.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Ohh, it's way too early here for corn. I dont even really like corn, but when it's done up southern style like this... yum ( or whatever it's called, I'm very un- southern.)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Hmmmmph...never saw one of those before.

I do LOVE my Weber grills though!! Finest grill ever made in my opinion. I roast-smoke our Thanksgiving turkey on ours every year (even though I have about 5 other grills).

Those wings do look pretty dang good!

Lately I've been on an air-fryer kick for wings. Wife got a big one for free. That thing works amazing on wings!!

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Aww man.

I just had lunch and now I'm hungry again.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Well...mexican street corn, but i didn't get the cotija to stick to the whole thing.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

If im being honest, i didn't buy a vortex. I ain't spending $50 on a name brand steel ring when i can get the knock off for half that. So i fed some cash to Bezos to ship it to me in 3 days for free.

I agree...the weber is the finest cooking device that exists. You can mod the hell out of them too. I never was willing to spend $130 on a weber. Now that i have had this one for free, i may buy me one of the ones in tiffany blue.

I've smoked brisket and pork butts on mine. Kills on ribs, too. I just set up a snake and it'll hold a steady temp for 12 hours.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I have a Trager here at home and a Weber that I've had for 30 years at the cabin. I still think the Weber is better at cooking foods. A smoked Turkey or chicken can't be beat off a Weber.

And I like that vortex deal too. Have to look into that.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Jesus man! Those wings look absolutely next level! I literally salivated reading your cooking directions. I am jealous.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: billxam

I have a masterbuilt electric. It rarely gets turned on. Ill put a pellet tube in the bottom of it, and some cured pork belly on the top for a cold smoke. Or put an ice tray in the middle and cheese on top for smoked cheeses.

With a pellet tube I can get a similar experience to a pellet smoker using it. I've done the Matt Pittman Weeknight Brisket before and it came out really good. But when i buy a new smoker, its likely to be a pellet. Yoder or Rec Tec most likely. Im getting old. I don't have the energy to stay up throwing sticks in a firebox.
edit on 3/30/2021 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Had the grill fallen out of someone's truck or was it a free to anyone who wanted it event. I got lots of things on side of the road, I also have put stuff on side of the road by my driveway as give aways. I put an old jet shopvac out there about ten years ago and nobody picked it up so I got it back and used it for the last ten years. It is nice and quiet and a good vacuum but it was not plastic, it is a ten gallon metal one.....some people want cheap pretty plastic junk, I prefer high quality junk. I didn't need three shopvacs but I now stuck it in the other garage because it is nice having to haul it around. One in each garage and one in the basement. They took all the scrap metal I left out there, and some stuff that was junk, but left the vacuum that worked, I even had a note on it that it worked great.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I work in a town that is pretty bougie. One of the bed and breakfasts that is super swank posted in the local people FB group that it was on the curb. So i ran up to get it (less than 3 minute drive). I expected it to be a little more worn than it was. The grill was enamel black and had the flip up sides for the charcoal trays. It was full of ash and the ash cleaner mechanical piece was rusted shut. And the inside was covered in a soot that was flaking off. I suspect it was used for their smallish kitchen operation for awhile last year, and they just tossed it at the end of the season.

I didn't need to replace the grill grates, but wanted the open middle for the vortex. The only thing that had to be replaced was the rusted easy clean. That was 13 bucks and about 10 minutes of my time.

Im considering getting the slow n sear attachment to see if it works well with stuff like smoked pork chops. I don't mind setting up a snake for longer smokes, but if i can find a way to keep a 250 temp with charcoal baskets i'd rather do that.

ETA: we have 2 really nice wooden rockers that someone left on the curb up the street from me. They were sold at Cracker Barrel for awhile. Went for like $150 each. Only thing wrong is they need a new finish. So the wife is sanding them down. Going to paint with a garish tiffany blue/turquoise type deal. Oil based exterior paint so it lasts. I did a little wood filling on it last weekend so the cracks would be filled in and protected. Should get at least 10 years out of them out on our front porch.
edit on 3/30/2021 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I'm gonna have to snag one of those! Thanks for the tip!

I want to start meal prepping with my smoker soon as I like smoking and can do large quantities... And it's yummy.

The biggest thing that helped me was getting a coal box for the side barrel to raise my coals, keep more consistent heat, and make clean up a breeze.

The vortex sounds awesome for speeding things up when you're not trying to go low and slow... Can open some more doors especially when you're trying to tie dinner together.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I vacuum seal leftovers. A 15 lb brisket is more than me and 2 women can eat. So i package it into single family meal portions and we warm it in hot water when we are ready to eat. Brisket, pulled pork, smoked chicken, etc....all as good as the day they went in. Other than the bark is softened.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up. No matter what new smoker, or grilling doodad I buy, Ive always kept up my ol trusty 22" weber ( copper colored I love her). I added a 22" Arteflame insert:
arteflame.com...

Its awesome, omlettes, pamcackes, veggies, burgers, patty melts, monte cristo...it adds alota fun to grilling.

Im thinking of tossing the Vortex, under the Arteflame and having a Weber Frankengrill!
edit on 30-3-2021 by BlueJacket because: Eta

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Is it a plancha insert you bought?

Man....i can see us enjoying an evening of al fresco in the fall with something like that.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Indeed its a 22" plancha with a 12" middle (cast iron) removable grate. Love the thing

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Some chicken lollipops and street corn on the Weber. I did this on Monday:

No sauce. Just Cluckalicious (from 2Gringos Chupacabra brand) and cherry wood.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join