It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uber has no Cultural etiquette!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Not playing the victim card dude.

Just Kind of makes me feel like an obnoxious power tripper... to be able to claim a person is worth x percentage of the original price of service.
edit on 2-2-2021 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Well enjoy a lower priority on rides...as they keep a profile on you just like you see the one for the driver. It has a history of basically everything...and drivers can see it. If your stars go too low they will give you worse drivers with longer waits...Drivers rate you just like you rate them...and I bet you don't see many 1-2 star drivers just like good drivers don't see many low rated customers.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Not playing the victim card dude.

Just Kind of makes me feel like an obnoxious power tripper... to be able to claim a person is worth x percentage of the original price of service.

Trying to turn your cheapness into some kind of high-brow moral issue bahahah

Thanks for the fun thread though.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Australia does not tip as a rule.

We just don't have that as a central part of our culture.

It is up to business to charge us and pay their employees a decent amount.

So many Yanks ... this is how we do it ... it is good enough for us ... it is good enough for the entire world.

Many of you are just incapable of seeing things with a different perspective.

I am not going to tip anyone for doing the job they are paid to do.

P

edit on 2/2/2021 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SubaeruginosaRight greedy balls,when you tip you aren't tipping for that meal,drink,whatever-you are tipping for the next time.Think about it if you want the best of service.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: glen200376
a reply to: SubaeruginosaRight greedy balls,when you tip you aren't tipping for that meal,drink,whatever-you are tipping for the next time.Think about it if you want the best of service.

So it’s like a fear thing for you guys then, yeah?

Better throw this dude a few bucks... better chance he won’t spit in my food the next time... lol.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I tip because I know how grateful I would be if I recieved one in that type of job, but do I have stipulations.

Be on time (roughly), polite and have a smile,

Or be polite & apologetic if it's late.

That's it, you'll get 25% every single time.

I love tipping in general. 👍🏼

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Not surprised you’re a cheapskate.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: Tulpa

I'd suggest cutting down on the booze.

But I’m more interested in what would benefit others and society in general... .

No you aren’t. It’s crystal blaring clear, dude. To everyone.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Uber is a trash company.

Pretty sure they 1099 people, pay next to nothing on wages while having drivers absorb all the overhead.
Personal vehicle depreciation, fuel, maintenance, insurance etc..
At the end of the day, these drivers may end up paying Uber to work there

If they wanted to be any scummier, they could add the tip option to the website and intercept the tips too.
..oh wait

All these "tech" scam businesses are a gd cancer.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 03:39 AM
link   
by hearing the word UBER i'm always thinking of the frase ubermensch....weird...
edit on 3-2-2021 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 04:42 AM
link   
OP translation: I’m mad I’m asked to pay for services rendered. If you don’t want to pay someone to deliver your food then drive to the restaurant and get your own food lazy ass. By the way, they’re a private company so they can do what they want. Isn’t that the saying going around lately?

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Cultural and legal differences that some posters seem unaware off.

America: tip often and large. But tips can count towards minimum wage.

UK: tip less often and generally lesser amount but tips don't count towards minimum wage.

Australia: Tipping not a standard thing and generally only for exceptional service.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I can't get behind the reasoning, how is it the drivers fault when the app is like that?
You could complain to the company, not to us, you know?

Here culturally it's not as expected as in the USA but I still tip almost every time.

It depends on the service and when I feel valued as a customer and taken care off, I tip generously. Just look after me and my needs and a tip is granted.

If the waiter is unfriendly and snarky, I want the change by the cent. Happened only two times I think.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I'm not sure about Uber but in general delivery drivers do ok in the UK, they get a proper wage or bag the delivery charge which can be £1 - £10 but usually around £4. Tips are bonus. These days restaurants value good drivers, they're staff.

Australia, as far as I know (have friends there) have a very moral income code too. People generally tip for good service. Someone working should be earning the basics or above.

Hence why I find the attitude in this thread strange. Americans issuing shame because culturally they look after the little guy on an individual basis when Aussies and Brits insist that a working individual should be compensated properly by their employer.

Strange indeed! Especially considering most Americans on this site would back up the opinion that someone not earning enough should work harder and aspire to more. Personally I tip good punctual service and exceptional customer care. Make my day better and I'll attempt to make yours better.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I tipped the guy who just handed me a bottle of wine 50%...

I'm sure he appreciated your order of the Charles Shaw.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

I understand why the op has issue with this, we get the same tip process on Uber eats in the UK.

We do not operate like that, tips are optional and are usually offered as the food arrives. Not as you order.

My brother who is a cheapskate felt rather offended when he first ordered via Uber. Just Eat doesn't have a similar option last I checked, so yeah... Something something.... Uber... Something... Culture.

That said cashless payments have become king here recently so I imagine many drivers who don't work for Uber are missing out on tips. Business is however booming.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I tipped the guy who just handed me a bottle of wine 50%...

I'm sure he appreciated your order of the Charles Shaw.

I was going to say Boones Farm. So what really is that %50? Around .25

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
I was going to say Boones Farm. So what really is that %50? Around .25

What's the word? Thunderbird.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

What's the price? 30 twice.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>