It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uber has no Cultural etiquette!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Let me start by saying, Its a very convenient service... I never have to worry about drinking too much when out and about, since theirs alway a Uber 5 minutes away and it’s far cheaper than a taxi.

Uber eats has even become a thing for us outer suburb bogans in the last few years as well (only used to be available to the inner burb yuppies). I’m greatful for it too... why even bother going to all the effort of cooking and making a big mess in the kitchen, when with just a few clicks on your phone you can have a hot meal delivered right to your door.

But mate seriously, I am so sick and tired of being guilt tripped into giving a tip every time I use their app.

I mean yeah, I understand, it’s an American company and in America they tip. But this is Australia... bitch!

We don’t tip in Australia! So quit pan handling me every time I order food or catch a ride home.

If Uber feels their services are worth more than the original charge, then they should have damn well put it into the original price in the first place!

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Uber is no longer the company they were supposed to be.
At one time it was a ride share app that would allow people to get a ride with another person headed in the right direction.
Now it’s just a taxi service that people use as their only job.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Why do you think it’s affordable enough for you to order it? Because of competitive pricing. It’s on you to take care of the person for the service you received.

Pony up cheapskate. I tip at least 33%. These people are starving! They are delivering food for Uber for the love of god!

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Why does your OP NOT surprise me.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

Pony up cheapskate. I tip at least 33%. These people are starving! They are delivering food for Uber for the love of god!

I do actually tip them occasionally... but I feel like it’s only when I’m blind drunk and just click the highest option... because, you know, why not?

But otherwise, I just feel like it’s invasive how they give you the option to either click ‘tip and rate now’ or ‘not now’... I’ll just generally shut down the app.

I think maybe if the ‘rate and tip’ option was something that you had the choice to manually click and on your own accord, then I’d be much more inclined to tip them.

But the way they do it, just makes me feel like I’m being scammed or pan handled.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 06:36 PM
link   

OP, are you sure it's not you that is lacking in cultural etiquette?

Services that you entrust people to perform for you have the attached custom of a tip if you are satisfied with their personal touch..

That is, unless you're just a cheapskate who can't own it.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 06:39 PM
link   
It's your fellow Australians you are not tipping. I dare you to sit down with one of them and find out how much they make. I'm guessing you'd be shocked. They are being exploited and guess who is participating in that exploitation?

You are.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 06:42 PM
link   
lol what a wanker as they say.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
Services that you entrust people to perform for you have the attached custom of a tip if you are satisfied with their personal touch..

Well screw it then! Why not just throw everyone who earns less than you and performs a service for you a $100 note?

I mean, it’s not like your gonna starve anyway, right?

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Well screw it then! Why not just throw everyone who earns less than you and performs a service for you a $100 note?

Why not just spit in their face and flip them the bird? That's what you really want to do, isn't it?

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Why not just spit in their face and flip them the bird? That's what you really want to do isn't it?

Oh, Mother Teresa right here!

I got news for ya bother, 20% on your last home delivered pizza ain’t saving nobody... don’t delude yourself!

What sacrifice have you actually ever made to help those in need?

Enlighten me.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I'd suggest cutting down on the booze.

You'll save some money, won't have to worry about driving and you'll make less mess in the kitchen.

Now you can call me names.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Why not just spit in their face and flip them the bird? That's what you really want to do isn't it?

Oh, Mother Teresa right here!

I got news for ya bother, 20% on your last home delivered pizza ain’t saving nobody... don’t delude yourself!

Enlighten me.

What the hell are you talking about?

Just make a nice, small gesture--as is customary--next time someone delivers you home safely, or brings you one of those hot meals on wheels you love so much.

No one's asking you to be Mr. Big Spender with the tips.

edit on 2-2-2021 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Enlighten me.

Well, we know what the answer is in your case: Absolutely nothing. You do realize you are coming across as in entitled narscicisstic AH, right?

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa

Yeah sure... That even might kinda benefit me personally.

But I’m more interested in what would benefit others and society in general... and I’m not convinced a $5 tip on a home delivered burger and chips is enough to benefit anyone in the long term.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 07:27 PM
link   

But I’m more interested in what would benefit others and society in general... and I’m not convinced a $5 tip on a home delivered burger and chips is enough to benefit anyone in the long term.

You don't see how a few dollars of tip over X amount of deliveries/ customers per day throughout the work week add up over time?

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I'm at a hotel at present, working with another team to make sure covid patients are taken care of.

I ordered a bottle of wine from the bar/restaurant that can only do take-outs because of the evil leftists and their draconian rules.

I tipped the guy who just handed me a bottle of wine 50% because he needs to pay bills and is actually working instead of staying unemployed and waiting for higher unemployment and his Biden-bucks.

Shame on you.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I will say this, and admittedly I'm in the states so it is probably quite different, but I generally do 20% on all of the food orders. Turns out that when I was living in the city (last month) that some of these drivers are the same people every day, and they remember the tips, you get a better quality of service. Additional cutlery (not needed but appreciated), condiments, priority delivery, etc. all seemed to happen regularly when I tipped regularly.

Now I know before Covid when I would be out of town on business and just wiped from a travel day that I would get something, usually not the best service but also not the worst. Could be that they didn't know me or how I tip, or could just be how they are in some cities.

I know from a cultural perspective that when I was in Japan it didn't even give me the option to tip (this may be Postmates and not UberEats as it has been a couple of years). So it may be something that they can change on a region by region basis.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 07:42 PM
link   

You don't see how a few dollars of tip over X amount of deliveries/ customers per day throughout the work week add up over time?

Where does it end though, that’s what I’m saying.

I mean obviously, I’d love nothing more than to give every person with less than me every cent I have... But then I’d be broke and have nothing.

See where I’m going?

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Where does it end though, that’s what I’m saying.

I mean obviously, I’d love nothing more than to give every person with less than me every cent I have... But then I’d be broke and have nothing.

See where I’m going?

It ends with you giving a reasonable tip and moving on from the transaction.

You playing some kind of victim with the absurd notion that you have to give everything you own, or nothing at all, out of principle, IS FOOLING NO ONE!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join