It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fresh Salsa

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: MapOfNowhere

What else could i use than nachos?

Lot's of things! Eggs, Tacos, Quesadillas, Salads, Beans, Rice...the list is endless!

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Wife’s recipe:

Boil Roma tomato’s two of small or one big tomato , with half an “white”onion
And a handful or more Serrano peppers stemmed, one or two big jalapeños stemmed and cut in the middle and cooked in pan on both sides.

Strain water from the boiling pot and place contents into a blender add salt , add cilantro cut off some of the stem blender will do the rest “ use about what you can put in cupped palm of your hand for cilantro amount. Cut a lime in half squeeze lime into blender. Set to purée!

This is salsa verde!

If your making enchiladas buy the green
Las palmas green chili enchiladas sauce open and put it sauce pan low heat mix in salsa verde.

One more time: add a bit of char to tomato onion and Serrano if you like.
Boil tomato and onion and Serrano peppers in pot until soft.

Cook jalapeños on pan both sides it’s ok to be a bit burnt.

Stain water from pot with tomato's, serranos and onion
Pour in blender
Add salt cilantro and lime. Set to purée

edit on 4-1-2021 by Veryolduser because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2021 by Veryolduser because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: staple

The soap taste dissappears the more you eat cilantro/coriander.

Something that's fascinated me because I used to hate that taste but grew to love the flavour, its genetic but taste perceptions can be changed.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Homefree
Roast the tomatoes and peppers until you get a little char on the skins.
A little, not too much, cilantro is in order also. Maybe lime instead of lemon and shot of mezcal.
Tomatillos instead of tomatoes works well, too.
Salsa is a good platform for experimentation.

Obviously your Latino! Wife uses cilantro in everything also likes tomatillos good point on the char. Mezcal? I will have to tell the wife that

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

What do you use to preserve it?

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Add in some black beans white corn, cilantro for a southwestern version.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

What else could i use than nachos?

Lot's of things! Eggs, Tacos, Quesadillas, Salads, Beans, Rice...the list is endless!

I like it in my pork sandwich. Also great as a side for tamales. (Not the sweet ones).

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 06:42 AM
link   
We like to make a simply pico de gallo when we make tacos:

Rough chopped romas, red onion, cilantro, and add some fine diced serrano peppers. Squeeze a couple limes over it and Kosher salt to taste. Let it set in the fridge for 20/30 minutes and serve.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I like the roasting idea, maybe I'll try that sometime.

What I like about this salsa is it's so easy and fast to prepare. Just rough chop some ingredients and, boom, it's done.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

reply to: randomtangentsrme

Directions
Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set aside with bands.

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.

Process both pint and half pint jars for 20 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.

www.freshpreserving.com...

That is the method we use, we make it every year and we only keep the salsa for one year. We compost what is left over from previous year when we make each years batch in the fall.

No preservatives added.

Hope that helps

Respectfully,
~meathead

edit on 4-1-2021 by Mike Stivic because: Added reply notification

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 01:16 PM
link   
How about adding a little bit of vodka to salsa? Not to get drunk but it could elevate the potential of hot peppers. So it would be like a killer hot bloody Mary, but focus on the eating, not drinking.

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   

C’mon now. Tequila would be more appropriate 👍

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
C’mon now. Tequila would be more appropriate 👍

Or esmoky mezcal in the esalsa. Right, mang?

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That sounds too dirty to be real words. Right in the esalsa, huh
hahaha

I think mezcal smoked tomatoes would be outstanding
edit on 6-1-2021 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: It’s 4:20 somewhere....

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

That's my kitchen Spanglish.

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Smoked mezcal tomato salsa with smokey mezcal shots with smokin’ hot mexican women would be my preference. And a beach. I love a good beach.

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

I love when dem beaches are hot.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mike Stivic

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

reply to: randomtangentsrme

Directions
Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set aside with bands.

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.

Process both pint and half pint jars for 20 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.

www.freshpreserving.com...

That is the method we use, we make it every year and we only keep the salsa for one year. We compost what is left over from previous year when we make each years batch in the fall.

No preservatives added.

Hope that helps

Respectfully,
~meathead

Thanks. Honestly.

I've not yet got into canning.
I've just found from my own salsa makes it's good for about 5 days, and I learned to cook en masse. So trying to figure out how to keep things longer.
Last time I did salsa, I gave my folks some, and even though I added salt as a preserve it started growing mold in about a week.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I think you're getting your countries confused...

"Mang / meng" is a Cuban / Puerto Rican thing, not Mexican. LOL.

And, although Cubans arguably created "Salsa" (the dance), they don't eat a whole lot of "salsa" or salsa fresca / pico de gallo as a thing (but then again, neither do traditional Mexicans). They, and Puerto Ricans have all sorts of 'sauces' they use in cooking. "Salsa" in a literal translation just means 'sauce' anyway, so technically I even used the term incorrectly in my title, but it's the word most Americans use.

Ironically, salsa, as a table condiment / dipping sauce is really kind of an American thing, a bastardization of a Mexican cooking ingredient. It sure is a good bastardization though because I love it!

Sorry for the boring diatribe, but the culinary differences of Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Dominican and Caribbean foods is a really interesting subject when you look into it.

I like Chop Suey and Chicken Eggrolls too, but that's a whole other post.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
"Mang / meng" is a Cuban / Puerto Rican thing, not Mexican. LOL.

Uh-huh. When I get my John Titor Corvette time machine fired back up I'll take you to the kitchens I worked in and you can have a convo with the Mexicans and Guatemalans that were there. Mang.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join