It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fresh Salsa

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Woke up this morning wondering about an old As Seen on TV gadget I bought eons ago. It was this manual food processor thing and it worked awesome. I hadn't made salsa in a long time, and that thing made the best salsa ever! Plus, I had a hankering for some homemade salsa, so it was off to get some fresh ingredients.

1 white Onion - Quartered and halved (you can use a yellow onion too if you like)
6 cloves Garlic - Rough chopped
2 Tbs Lemon Juice (fresh)
2 Jalapeno peppers - Stemmed and quatered
3/4 Tsp Salt

Load all that in the chopper and chop until desired consistency (med-fine)

6-7 Vine ripened tomatoes - halved and rough chopped.

Put tomatoes in the chopper with the rest of the mixture and chop again.

BOOM! Perfect Salsa!!

Oh MAN!! Plus, plenty left over for tomorrow, and it's better when it sits for a while anyway!

Highly recommend!

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

More k. salt

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Do you want to make it even better ?

Instead of jalapeños, use rocoto peppers. You can find it frozen food section of most of supermarket. Defrost and dice them finely. Add some black pepper to the mix too.

edit on 3-1-2021 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Instead of jalapeños, use rocoto peppers. You can find it frozen food section of most of supermarket.

You sound like you have immensely better supermarkets than me 😕

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I use cherry tomatoes instead of Roma . And three varieties of hot peppers. Habenero ,jalapeno,and hot cherry peppers.

Also I don't use salt.. it's not a health thing but when your dealing with habeneros the salt really isn't missed.

We can it in ball jars and enjoy all year round.

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Roast the tomatoes and peppers until you get a little char on the skins.
A little, not too much, cilantro is in order also. Maybe lime instead of lemon and shot of mezcal.
Tomatillos instead of tomatoes works well, too.
Salsa is a good platform for experimentation.

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Good recipe. The tomatoes are the deciding factor here. Heirloom tomatoes are the best. Romas are what I use when I cannot find any or don't have any in the garden. A mesquite smoked salt is a good alternative to plain salt. a 50/50 tomatillo(roasted)/tomato mix is heavenly.
If you can fire roast all the above ingredients you have, it kicks it up a notch.
Don't forget the cilantro if it does not taste like soap to you.
edit on 1/3/2021 by staple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

We grow all our ingredients on the mountain with no chemical fertilizers or pesticides.

It's better than having a whole foods in my opinion .

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

We grow all our ingredients on the mountain with no chemical fertilizers or pesticides.

That's my dream.

I just want land and a nice modest house.

I live in a decent sized city and feel like a rat in a cage even though I'm in a big house.

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Oooh starting to feel so peckish.

Here's a Mexican Bean Salad by Kurma Dasa.
[The cook is Hare Krishna, and they tend to avoid garlic and onion (except as medicine) and use Asafoedita instead].

But screw it, I add garlic and onion.

edit on 3-1-2021 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Sounds nice. Just needs cilantro.

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Instead of jalapeños, use rocoto peppers. You can find it frozen food section of most of supermarket.

You sound like you have immensely better supermarkets than me 😕

IDK, where are you ?

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Virginia... Not Northern.

Our super markets are pretty bodunk... We have some decent stores here and there though. I just have to make a run to different ones for variety.

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Virginia... Not Northern.

Our super markets are pretty bodunk... We have some decent stores here and there though. I just have to make a run to different ones for variety.

I found a good list of hispanic supermarkets in Virginia. One of them must have it.

www.bing.com... ket+in+vir&sk=PRES1&sc=1-27&cvid=2241dc8648c945d6b396b973af3a81f0

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Can you all imagine how awesome this same salsa will taste when we're all told to be eating computer printed, reconstituted soy pastes shaped like the ingredients?

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I love salsa. I typically use all the same ingredients you do, except I use fresh lime juice. The only other thing I do is ferment my salsa. I make sure the salt is adequate for the amount of salsa I make. I then leave it submerged in the brine on the counter for 48 hours before eating. It will keep for months in the fridge and it's filled with loads of healthy probiotics. I actually have 2 jars fermenting that'll be ready tomorrow night. 🙂

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I'll have to look for it at the Hispanic one near me. I usually go there to get stuff for bone broth. They have the joint bits that gringo markets are "above", lol.

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Salsa? Now we are talking! Your recipe sounds delicious.

Finland is "a pinch of salt and a pinch of black pepper" nation and then the food is spiced up. Well i am not in that boat. Go to a regular grocery store, buy the hottest salsa you can find, and it is like...bell peppers. You can get good stuff online, but i like cooking. Not many better things in this universe than a good capsaicin rush.

Now that i think of it, i don't think that i have EVER eaten salsa with anything else than nachos. What else could i use than nachos?

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 08:30 PM
link   
With nachos, got to have avo.

Maybe just SA or my region, but I never noticed such a great avo year or season.

Currently R25 (that's 1.71 US Dollars) per smallish avo where I am.

Would that be normal in the US?

Apparently avo prices have been soaring.
www.usatoday.com...
edit on 3-1-2021 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2021 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Whoops!! I forgot to list the cilantro!!

1 bunch of Cilantro - finely chopped, added with the first set of ingredients! How could I have forgotten that???

There is DEFINITELY Cilantro in this Salsa!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join