It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Randi, devoted to debunking the paranormal, dies at 92

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 02:13 AM
link   

James Randi, magician and stage artist devoted to debunking the paranormal, dies at 92.

James Randi, the internationally acclaimed magician and escape artist, both praised and cursed for devoting much of his career to debunking all things paranormal — from spoon bending and water dowsing to spirit channeling and faith healing — died Oct. 20. He was 92. In recent years, he had been treated for cancer and heart ailments.

He was dismissive of psychics, seers and soothsayers, he was open to the possibility of supernatural phenomena but simply found no evidence of it after decades of research.

"I admit that I’m a charlatan. They don’t. I don’t have time for things that go bump in the night.”

As much as I wanted to dislike this guy, I had to consider that he was trying to use what tools and 'train of thought' were at his (and our) disposal.

Although I've heard rumors that his foundation that offered "One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge" was not on the level. Many also claim that the Foundation would not give them a chance to show off (whatever) for a chance of he reward.

One of my long-time remembrances of him was seeing him on the Johnny Carson show debunking live on your TV set whomever was making a wild claim. Johnny Carson himself was a magician so he knew having both 'Randi' and the 'claimant' both on at the same time would garner viewers hoping for fireworks (either way, made no difference).

Rest In Peace James Randi.

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Totally going to channel him at my next seance.

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 03:20 AM
link   
What a great guy, RIP Randi

Let me just sprinkle some packing peanuts here and completely destroy your psychic powers! Classic

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Jubei42

"One down ..one to go" That guy had an instant sweat attack..lol

Wonder if amazing Hydrick still walks in that outfit when shopping at Walmart. Having instant mental communication with the judges is also worth 10.000 dollars I say..

R.I.P Randy
edit on 22/10/2020 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous

I remember The Amazing Randi on British TV when I was a kid , he was a real character whose stage persona and magic had me transfixed.

As a skeptic he was both smart and amusing , hard not to like.

RiP James Randi , I guess he now has the answers to his questions.

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 03:42 AM
link   

I bet James Randi is feeling pretty stupid right now

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: kennyb72

I was thinking of a witty remark - you nailed it!!!!!

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Seems he was a man that questioned the answers. A man i can admire just for that reason alone.

So he never came across anyone with paranormal abilities?!! Doesn't surprise me. Although he had a right spat for years with Uri Geller, in court a lot of times.

RIP James Randi

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 05:41 AM
link   
RIP Randi

Did not agree with him all the time, and found him to be too closed minded, it saying that, he done some great work, and showed how a lot of people out there a frauds. Thing that sticks in my mind was the faith healer Peter Popoff, who Randi debunked fantastically. Turned out peter and his wife were using hidden mics to talk to eachother, and she was giving him the info of the people who turned up to see him through an ear piece.

Will be missed

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 06:29 AM
link   
What a champ, thanks Randi for helping to lead me out of the dark ages of my mind!

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyAnonymous

James Randi, magician and stage artist devoted to debunking the paranormal, dies at 92.

James Randi, the internationally acclaimed magician and escape artist, both praised and cursed for devoting much of his career to debunking all things paranormal — from spoon bending and water dowsing to spirit channeling and faith healing — died Oct. 20. He was 92. In recent years, he had been treated for cancer and heart ailments.

He was dismissive of psychics, seers and soothsayers, he was open to the possibility of supernatural phenomena but simply found no evidence of it after decades of research.

"I admit that I’m a charlatan. They don’t. I don’t have time for things that go bump in the night.”

As much as I wanted to dislike this guy, I had to consider that he was trying to use what tools and 'train of thought' were at his (and our) disposal.

Although I've heard rumors that his foundation that offered "One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge" was not on the level. Many also claim that the Foundation would not give them a chance to show off (whatever) for a chance of he reward.

One of my long-time remembrances of him was seeing him on the Johnny Carson show debunking live on your TV set whomever was making a wild claim. Johnny Carson himself was a magician so he knew having both 'Randi' and the 'claimant' both on at the same time would garner viewers hoping for fireworks (either way, made no difference).

I dont believe you.

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I'm skeptical of this....

Here...Lemme sprinkle some Talcum Powder on it....

Kk still sticks

RIP Mr. Randi

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: kennyb72

Well yeah, if he feels anything it’s stupid...and relieved. I think he was a little more scared of death than the average bear.
I thought the Randi doth protest too much.

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: kennyb72

I'd hope he feels more enlightened now and in awe. Not stupid.

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Jubei42

Let me just sprinkle some packing peanuts here and completely destroy your psychic powers! Classic

Polystyrene, the greatest protection against psychic attack!!

Loved James Randi and his honest approach to fraudsters, lets hope God has him working on any fraudsters trying to fake miracles!!!
edit on 22-10-2020 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 10:08 AM
link   
He will always be The Amazing Randi to me.

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
Totally going to channel him at my next seance.

He will say 'I'm not here! This isn't happening!'

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I'm always going to remember Randi as the man who set up that impossible to win challenge which set up so many pre-conditions that you could parade a Unicorn around central park alongside a signed bill of sail from Merlin, and he'd still tell you that it was a man in a gorilla suit.

His legacy is tainted for me.

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
A real loss.

He will be missed.

To prove that the world is not just, Peter Popoff is still up to his old tricks and is a multi millionaire.

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   
that was yuri geller that guy that went around bending spoons he had NO IDEA that carson did magic in the past...randi and carson made SURE yuri could not touch any of the props before he did his bit...yuri tried for 20 minutes trying to bend the spoons and he could NOT because he could NOT cheat!!

rest in peace James Randi

originally posted by: JohnnyAnonymous

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join