It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today there are lots of articles about movie theaters dying and I'm ok with that

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: putnam6

And in this case, it isn't because they are obsolete but because they were deemed non-essential by their betters in government. And as time has gone on, the knock-on effect is that those who were forcibly put out of work are enough to hit others.

Were the trade-offs worth it?

Yup. Just like restaurants which are failing left and right. Pretty sure my local theater may die if this continues on. Family owned and a local landmark in our town. Unfortunately, this isn't something most businesses could plan for and most can only survive so long with their revenues cut in half or entirely.

Hollywood is finally accepting though that people do want to stream new movies and willing to pay for them. We got a couple of movies that were supposed to be in theater streamed. It was nice and convenient, but not an experience.

It will be interesting to see how the theater business model evolves. I suspect they will move to smaller venues and incorporate other things like fine dining into the viewing experience. It won't be so much pack as many people in to watch a first run movie, but creating a smaller more intimate venue.

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
Theaters were in trouble before COVID with the streaming services and such.

Not correct, all the majors were making huge capital investments, the company I previously worked for had 30-35 new jobs just with Regal for next year. That's just one of the companies we dealt with. All those were obviously cancelled after the shutdowns.

But let's cheer for an industry getting crushed because of bizarre preconceived notions.

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Sort of like you bemoaning dying theaters and it's industry...

It wasn't dying until the shutdowns. In my previous role my team sold to Regal, Cinemark, AMC and Harkins, all were expanding and making capital investments. But don't let the facts get in the way.

Many times an industry will throw money as the industry reorganizes and companies get bought and sold etc. That doesn't mean it's healthy, it's just means the big players are consolidating and trying to upgrade as they were losing attendence.

Loads of articles pre COVID saying just that.Like this one..But you knew that,LOL you are in the industry and it just didn't fit your message board narrative.

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Many times an industry will throw money as the industry reorganizes and companies get bought and sold etc. That doesn't mean it's healthy, it's just means the big players are consolidating and trying to upgrade as they were losing attendence.

Does that investiture occur now that the shutdowns have taken place? Should they not have? What's your point?

LOL you are in the industry and it just didn't fit your message board narrative.

LOL. Work. LOL. On. LOL. Your. LOL. Reading. LOL. Comprehension. LOL. I. LOL. Did. LOL. Not. LOL. Say. LOL. I. LOL. Was. LOL. In. LOL. The. LOL. Movie. LOL. Theater. LOL. Industry. LOL.

LOL. LOL. LOL.

See above, the money was being spent, now, not so much. That's a good thing though, right?

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Does that investiture occur now that the shutdowns have taken place? Should they not have? What's your point?

LOL you are in the industry and it just didn't fit your message board narrative.

LOL. Work. LOL. On. LOL. Your. LOL. Reading. LOL. Comprehension. LOL. I. LOL. Did. LOL. Not. LOL. Say. LOL. I. LOL. Was. LOL. In. LOL. The. LOL. Movie. LOL. Theater. LOL. Industry. LOL.

LOL. LOL. LOL.

See above, the money was being spent, now, not so much. That's a good thing though, right?

The point was and remains the movie theater industry wasn't thriving before COVID people actually going to movies has been declining for a while., it was taking its lumps just like the article you ignored said and latched on to me laughing at your anecdotal denials.

edit on 8-10-2020 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   

The point was and remains the movie theater industry wasn't thriving before COVID...

The point was, since you decided to interject and fail at playing 'gotcha', that the theater industry was investing significantly into infrastructure and has now laid off employees while their revenues dry up.

To answer the question you avoided, no this is not a good thing. But try to spin this as a positive for whatever bizarre reason you want.

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Theaters were in trouble before COVID with the streaming services and such.

Not correct, all the majors were making huge capital investments, the company I previously worked for had 30-35 new jobs just with Regal for next year. That's just one of the companies we dealt with. All those were obviously cancelled after the shutdowns.

But let's cheer for an industry getting crushed because of bizarre preconceived notions.

Im not cheering none of it, I was totally against nationwide and statewide shutdowns from the beginning. It doesn't change that movie theaters were struggling to get audiences in to watch movies long before COVID. The shutdowns and restrictions just pushed them over the edge. It's not hard to figure out.

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Im not cheering none of it, I was totally against nationwide and statewide shutdowns from the beginning. It doesn't change that movie theaters were struggling to get audiences in to watch movies long before COVID. The shutdowns and restrictions just pushed them over the edge. It's not hard to figure out.

And now some will go bankrupt leaving who knows how many people out of work. But hey, they should have seen the handwriting on the wall that the government was gonna roll around and shut them down.

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   

And now some will go bankrupt leaving who knows how many people out of work. But hey, they should have seen the handwriting on the wall that the government was gonna roll around and shut them down.

Where did I say or even vaguely refer to they should have known that? Seriously. Or if you are just one of those New Jersians that has to have the last word? If so I'll disengage now and mosey on to other topics.

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Where did I say or even vaguely refer to they should have known that? Seriously. Or if you are just one of those New Jersians that has to have the last word? If so I'll disengage now and mosey on to other topics.

Who even knows what point you're trying to make other than 'sucks to be you theater industry, you we're dying anyway'.

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   
As I thought no substance in the end, nor links. But you had to get the last word, you are from New Jersey after all.

edit on 8-10-2020 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 02:08 PM
link   

As I thought no substance in the end, nor links.

Links to what? You're arguing that an industry that was making investments was seeing declines. So what? Now you have no investment and their workforce on the dole.

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

All the drive-ins in my area are long gone. All these were two screen drive-ins: Skyler gone, New Hartford gone, Marcy gone, Rome NY gone. The closest that surprisingly is still open is Unadilla NY.
edit on 8-10-2020 by Chance321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Edumakated

I'm with you.
Watching the avengers on a huge screen with the audience reaction is an amazing experience.

When captain America finally says "avengers assemble" the theatre popped...
You can't get that on your couch.

This right here. I will never fall out of love with the theatre experience. Watching at home is not the same for me. It's getting out of the house. Getting that popcorn. Chatting with those I came with as we wait. Watching the previews. Hearing the audience reactions. Home doesn't do it for me.

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Even before covid new movies at the theater sucked balls.

I find myself watching old movies a lot. Just because they are so much better with no hidden little social justice virtue signaling lgtbqwxyz trump is bad racist white people oppressed black people mansplaining poor little Mexican illegal sexist racist etc.

I love going to the movies, I just wish they would stop making the movies so sucky.

As for too many people, I find that if you run a bunch of mayonnaise in your hair and try to bite your ear occasionally people leave a lot of empty seats around you.
edit on 9-10-2020 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

Even before covid new movies at the theater sucked balls.

I find myself watching old movies a lot. Just because they are so much better with no hidden little social justice virtue signaling lgtbqwxyz trump is bad racist white people oppressed black people mansplaining poor little Mexican illegal sexist racist etc.

completely agree with you but besides the virtual signalling and taking away the annoying as fk sjw messages in movies they still suck.

Just watched tenet which I was super excited to watch. Well it sucked B@lls and it had nothing todo with sjw virtual signalling as it had very little of it. I barely could make it to the end and I'm the type that if I start a movie I got to finish it.

Besides the lack of movies nowadays to get excited about I never did understand the appeal of the theater. I only went because I wanted to see something as soon as possible. If it wasn't for that I would have much preferred to watch it a home on my better quality equipment.

I personally can't wait till it all goes direct to home and vr shared viewings become the norm. However having said that there is nothing that appeals to me that I feel its worth rushing to see. I'm a sci fi fan but not a sci fi fantasy fan so most of the movies that come out don't appeal to me. I really don't care for the super hero movies or star wars fantasy bs. I like more along the lines movies like contact or prometheus and they really don't make those to often, its all super hero or zombie bs.

I use to always buy the latest audio and video equipment as soon as it came out because I loved watching movies so much. Now I could care less because the lack of content worth while.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join