It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Wars Squadrons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I completely forgot about this game releasing the other day, so when I saw it on the MS Store for download I figured might as well.
It's not like there's any other decent games for XB1 out right now.
It's currently downloading.

Ive only heard decent reviews about the game so far online.
People say it's fun, nevermind the fact that it's star wars, but due to it being a semi complex dogfighting game.

I play Elite Dangerous, and some have said the cockpit management system is similar.

Has anyone else tried this game yet?
If so, what's your thoughts?

I'm looking forward to using the HOTAS for something other than ED finally.

edit on 4-10-2020 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

It's a fine game but not perfect, still it's Star Wars.

The single player campaign is Good but it really is aimed at multi player and there it will excel.

Only played the single player campaign, all of it in two day's haha but I am not a multi player fan so?.

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I'm not so much of a MP fan either - except when playing organized Battlefield matches.

Yeah, the campaign is short is it?

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Actually there is plenty to it, you play through two interweaving campaigns at the same time, an imperial pilot and a rebel pilot seeing the same conflict from two sides, it can be a bit disorientating when you have just gotten your stuck up imperial pilot face on and have to go and play your bearded tree hugging rebel hero but it's also good in the side speeches that fill out the story when letting the other characters speak to you in the hanger, one at least one imperial pilot really believes she is fighting for a just cause, another has suffered too much for the empire to give up and they all have there careers in mind, the rebels are different for them it is not about career as much as it is about there cause, they are believers and also for one it is about family he never really had.

I love the plot but I found that the star destroyers just felt - small - in flight, I felt they should have been modelled much larger and more detail but that is just me.

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Are the maps large or are you fighting in a small area?

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Sorry just hopped off for a bit, the maps are medium sized and have definite invisible limit's, if you are told to follow some one down an obstacle course that is what you have to do (single player) if you go too far a timeout will begin so no open world unfortunately.

It is very much geared around multi player combat in design and lacks the open world of a true space sim, far smaller than older games such as X-wing alliance etc or the original (and very much in need of a remake X-wing VS Tie Fighter), not really as good as some other old games such as Freespace 2 which is an all time great game of the genre but very dated by todays standards, still that is how to do a capital ship, huge and vast combat areas and by comparison this game is much smaller in combat area and ship scale (Smaller maps force more fierce multiplayer action which is what they want I guess).

It IS Star Wars however and a good game in it's own right, not up to the hype given out for it but still there have been very few good games of this type in recent years so it is a breath of fresh air (and what other game lets you put bobble heads in your cockpit).

Personally I would love to see a X clone (which was just an elite clone let's be fair there) in the star wars universe, trade, fight, join up with factions, hunt bounty's that sort of thing and that is not what this game offers, it is good for what it is but not perfect.

There is argument for making it the way they did, tell a story that could not be told in a freeform space exploration and combat game, force combat scenarios because they are part of the story etc.

Still I was a bit disappointed, I even went searching for my old Microsoft sidewinder force feedback 2 but remembered I dumped a load of stuff when my mother passed away so that which was hardly used is probably in a landfill somewhere or has been recycled into sweet wrappers or something

That all said map design is good, hiding behind an asteroid especially with a modified ship is more than possible and that tiny bit of RPG freedom exists in choosing ship components and often ship types even if it is not an RPG.

Single player no big ships only smaller fighter class and support ship's.

Hey it's one of those if you can't try it out then you really have to buy, if you are a star wars fan even if it turned out not to be what you wanted you would always have that nagging thought somewhere what was that game like.

edit on 4-10-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   

No worries, I had to split for a bit also.
Went to the butcher and got some ribeyes cut.
We have family coming over for a bbq tonight.
My job is done for now while the wife preps everything else, so I have an hour to give the game a try.

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 05:02 PM
link   

This guy is a Star Wars fanatic... videos are long, but you ( ATS members that haven't seen or heard of the game ) can see the the game play. Just skim through.👍😊

"Star Wars Squadrons" game play.

edit on 4-10-2020 by Bigburgh because: Tacos

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

I think if I had a VR headset I would probably be playing it right now, that and my much lamented flight stick it's just not the same on a game pad or using a keyboard and mouse.

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Due to guests and an enormous amount of food for dinner, I am just now getting to try the game.

@BigBurgh having a VR head set would be amazing for this game.
Thanks for posting those vidz

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Well, first impressions...
Typical EA new release -
Been playing or trying too, for 20 minutes.
1 game crash with return to home screen and
1 mission bug that resulted in having to start the game over again.

Is it too damn hard for publishers to release a new game that works!

I really hope Cyberpunk has the glitches and bugs sorted before it hits the shelves.

ETA 1 game freeze.
Very frustrating.

ETA 2 Ship "stuck" in space. Can't move anywhere

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Well, now that I've been able to play with some consistency - I restarted the Xbox and for the last hour or so, there was no issues, and I'm enjoying the game.
The balance between guns, engine and shields is fairly simple.
Have I found much of a need to utilize them. Not really.

For fun I plugged in my HOTAS.
Wow, now that is an experience.
It's like a whole new game... All over again.

posted on Oct, 5 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   
And another thing I noticed which pretty much ruins the game for me...
A few of the Imperial characters are sporting haircuts that are...not exactly Imperial approved.
Joking.

The story mode game is decent so far.
Haven't touched MP yet.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Well I made the MP plunge.
Its pretty fun.
I highly, highly recommend getting good in the Player vs AI. Set it on ACE and play.
That way it will be similar to the online animals.
But I still got schooled hard.
2 kills and 6 deaths is my average lol.
But im using the stock fighters.
Theres definately a science to how you loadout your fighter.
I found a video explaining what works best with what.
So im going to set but my aircraft with those loadouts and see how I fair.

Using the HOTAS is key once you master your flight controls.

top topics

join