It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deutschamerikaner (German Americans).

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

and if you go back and read, what i originally wrote i never said anything about germam not being based off any other langue or dialects, what i did say and have shown time and time again that english langues has it majority influnce in german.

also in your link,

2 things stand out, well three,

first,
why didn't you include the whole thing you underlinerd instead of cutting it off.

which however remained in contact over a considerable time, especially the Ingvaeonic languages (including English)which arose from West Germanic dialects and remained in continued contact with North Germanic.

2nd
did you notice Ingvaeonic languages

North Sea Germanic, also known as Ingvaeonic /ˌɪŋviːˈɒnɪk/, is a postulated grouping of the northern West Germanic languages that consists of Old Frisian, Old English and Old Saxon and their descendants. North Sea Germanic

so in reading this it says that english indeed came from germanic dialects.

and then this from your link,

The alternative term "Germanic parent language" may be used to include a larger scope of linguistic developments, spanning the Nordic Bronze Age and Pre-Roman Iron Age in Northern Europe (second to first millennia BC) to include "Pre-Germanic" (PreGmc), "Early Proto Germanic" (EPGmc) and "Late Proto-Germanic" (LPGmc).[1] While Proto-Germanic refers only to the reconstruction of the most recent common ancestor of Germanic languages, the Germanic parent language refers to the entire journey that the dialect of Proto-Indo-European that would become Proto-Germanic underwent through the millennia.

edit on 28-9-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   

english langues has it majority influnce in german

But your missing the point. It's majority isn't German per say.
These languages all evolved from the Proto Indo-European language, and then Proto Germanic, by saying English is Germanic is like saying a tikka masla is Indian. It was created by an Indian who lived in Great Britian, Scotland to be exact so is it British, Scottish or Indian?

like many great things, is entirely debatable and a subject of grave contention for many. Some vaguely state it’s a British take on a curry, while a considerable handful are convinced its roots are firmly grounded in India. Then there are others married to the fact that it was conceived in Glasgow, Scotland.

so English is not as simple as just a Germanic language. English has Latin, French, Indian and Northern European languages all mixed together over the last few thousand years.

This vid which i posted 1 page back has some good examples on how words evolved.

edit on 28-9-2020 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

English was ALWAYS the language of the US, not by a narrow margin at all, what happened was AFTER the American revolution Europeans continued to arrive and by far the largest new migrant sector was from Germany's many fractious nations (remember Germany did NOT exist until later - it was Prussia, Saxony, Hess etc), by numbers people of English descent are probably just as numerous as people of German descent BUT that is taking into account numbers born there of English ancestry (and what is English, half German - Saxon and half Angle whom were also closely related to the German's while maternally British are still mostly of Celtic origin (Celtic culture is controversial as it's origin may actually be in what today is SOUTHERN GERMANY haha but they were quite ethnically diverse as Celt refers more to the culture than the gene pool).

At a time when Germans were regarded as blond or brown haired Roman's referred to the Britain's (Before all that migration) as a GOLDEN or RED haired race often with blue or green eye's, one pope in early Christianity referred to English children he saw at a slave market as angel's - obviously he did not know all that stuff about ripping out your enemy's heart and eating it raw to take his strength or head hunting traditions of the Celtic Britain's but either way he sent missionary's to convert the Britain's to Christianity.

Early German (or whatever there Germanic nation was called since it was more than one) arriving after the Revolution caused several of the founding fathers to worry about what they had done, they wanted more English and feared the influx would de-anglicise there colonies since despite breaking away from the king they still saw themselves as English in every other way.

Unlike later German's these early German migrant's are described as stupid and swarthy (dark skinned) by Benjamin Franklin.
www.dialoginternational.com...

The fact is people are people.

As for language had it not been for the Norman invasion of England in 1066 the English would still be speaking a descendant of Old Norse, the ancestral language of German, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian and Dutch but today we have a language filled with anachronisms and spelling's that make no sense over here while over in the US were you are they have at least adopted a more sensible phonetic spelling approach.

Colour (what is the point of the U other than a point of pride and it has to be right because we are Brit's after all) over here, Color there etc.

In term's of migrant's from Europe the largest by far single origin is Germany but that span's hundreds of years of migration while at the same time the English, French, Dutch and other settlers were having kid's in the America's so proportion wise euro ethnicity out of the white population of north America today it is rather more even (but if you remember we Brit's are actually at least part German - and just maybe more HUN than the German's with our first Saxon warrior chief's having HUN names Hengist (Stallion) and Horsa (Horse) and hun's being likely Eurasian of possible Mongolian ancestry? - then it becomes a bit more muddy.

What made English great was the size of the British Empire, had America's first language been German it would NEVER have achieved the same economic status in a Globally English speaking world (but then English is a Germanic language as well after all so is it not also just another German?).

edit on 28-9-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 12:12 PM
link   

but your missing the point.

no i'm not,
i wasn't even talking about Proto Indo-European language i was talking about the germanic langues which had already replaced Proto Indo-European by the time it made it's way to to the island.

so English is not as simple as just a Germanic language.

and i never said it was that either, what i did say was,

actually the english langue is a variationof the west germanic language, known as old english. but don't tell that to some of the arrogant brits that come on here they get all pissed off and say no it's not.

from the cambridge dictionary

variation noun (DIFFERENCE) C2 [ C ] something that is slightly different from the usual form or arrangement:

i also used the word root in one post.

edit on 28-9-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Hell, I could tell you some stories. My mother's paternal line were German immigrants. Her grandfather and father left Germany for the US and then joined the military to fight against the Nazis. They all spoke German. They got their newspaper delivered in German. After WW2 that all changed. People only spoke Deutsch or German in private. Anyone who spoke it were viewed as suspicious, and it wasn't uncommon to be harassed or have worse happen.

Similar things happened to Cajuns/Acadians when they got exiled from Canada they found their way down to Louisiana where they were mocked and punished for speaking French. The only family I have that speaks French still are old, and they still refrain from speaking French because of the deep seated fear they have. Even when you do hear them speak French it's pretty different from the French language you learn in school or hear in contemporary France. It's an old dialect they speak.

But back to German. I really enjoyed visiting Germany. Being from Tennessee, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the stories I heard growing up about the architecture being inspired by German influence and town planning were apparently true. It almost felt like I was back home in Tennessee. The people were friendly, the beer was good, and the only difference was the language being spoken.
edit on 2892020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Consider the poor Afrikaans speakers in South Africa.

Apparently that language isn't more than 150 years old (some argue from "kitchen Dutch", but it also has indigenous Khoisan and Malay influences).

Many South African Germans speak it.
But does it have a future?
Foreseeably, yes.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

actually the english langue is a variation of the west germanic language, known as old english

That's what I'm getting at, it's not as simple as you made out it was and it isn't just a variation of West Germanic or old English.

I posted a video of Old English to prove this point, does that sound like either English or German to you?

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
Consider the poor Afrikaans speakers in South Africa.

Apparently that language isn't more than 150 years old (some argue from "kitchen Dutch", but it also has indigenous Khoisan and Malay influences).

Many South African Germans speak it.
But does it have a future?
Foreseeably, yes.

I've had friends who spoke Afrikaans, it's such a jumble of languages and sounds very German when listening to it!

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Even the epics of American cinema - the gangster genre, for example.
It's all about inner cities, and turf wars, and so forth.

Mark my quivering eye, there's Gino the Italian, Patrick the Irishman and Tyrone the African American.

Dudes, where's the German?

They all go where the sky is blue, and the hills are green.
Generally they don't dwell in bad neighborhoods.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Dudes, where's the German?

Planning for war.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   

That's what I'm getting at, it's not as simple as you made out it was and it isn't just a variation of West Germanic or old English.

so your arguing a point that i made from the beginning in my very first post where i said it was a variation. which is just that simple, it's a variation of a germanic dialect.

where's the sense in that?

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

so your arguing a point that i made from the beginning in my very first post where i said it was a variation. which is just that simple, it's a variation of a germanic dialect.

where's the sense in that?

I wasn't trying to argue with you, I was just trying to say it wasn't as simple as just a variation on a Germanic dialect. We have words like bungalow and pyjamas which are Indian. Beef, pork and mutton which are Norman compared to cow, pig and sheep which are Old English, Latin words like agenda and ambiguous plus many more.
edit on 28-9-2020 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   
White collar crime.

Much superior to your other forms of crime.

Just saying.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Fryslan is n fact an big country... from the northsea cost of holland by the north-west part of germany to Denmark aswell......
yes a reply to: hounddoghowlie

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Right slightly off topic but in line with any research into German and Dutch mythology - and possibly suppressed or forgotten history, have any of you ever heard of the Oora Lindus or Oera Linda.
www.gutenberg.org...

I have read that supposedly there are sunken islands off greenland some of which have tree's preserved by the cold water and also some according to what I read also have at least possible remains of human settlement's but I have not seen anything related to this in a search of the internet, however.

en.wikipedia.org...

How does this pertain, not directly but since the topic has strayed into this area it is still an interesting subject, many of you will not have heard of this other Atlantis like legend as well and ATS being ATS it may interest you (maybe two other Atlantis mixed together Atland which is a bit close to Atlantis and Aztlan of the Aztec and of course Frisland - one - of the homelands of the Frisian people supposedly also lost beneath the waves).

Though as some of you may know the Oera Linda was mixed up with the NAZI's during WW2 since they had 'probably' either stolen there copy (the original version handwritten and passed down according to the legend and all other versions are supposedly merely copies with the original having been lost or destroyed in the war - or locked up in an archive in the US or Russia somewhere?) from a private library somewhere or inherited from one of the mystical groups they incorporated into the Ahnenerb this may give you a chance to extricate it from that mess and it has actually nothing to do with there belief's, it may indeed predate the Norse religion to which they had turned and which they planned to force on future generations of there own children.

Some claim it is fake, while I shall stay open minded I rather believe there is more than a grain of truth to the story of the book and the fact there is at least one version in the Gutenberg library gives you all a chance to read and decide for yourselves.

edit on 28-9-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 07:34 PM
link   
A phrase that US leaders can always rely on to win hearts and minds: "Hello Belgium! Ich bin ein ... from Belgium".

What? I thought that went fantastic.
Better than a blotto Yeltsin peeing against the plane's tyre.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join