It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cult Of Woke.

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Always enjoyed and respected the ability of satire to expose the nonsensical or absurd nature of things - especially if the target subject is positively dripping in hypocrisy or completely lacking in common sense.(or humour).

Here's satirical Woke joke activist Titania McGrath trying to sell her wares at a British comedy club.

Titania McGrath is a world-renowned millennial icon and radical intersectionalist poet committed to feminism, social justice and armed peaceful protest, and she’s coming to show you – yes, YOU – why you are wrong about everything!

MXINFESTO takes the form of a confrontational lecture in which Titania guides her audience through the, often bewildering, array of terminology and concepts that constitute 21st century “wokeness”. New words such as “manterrupting”, “microaggressions” and “heteronormativity” often leave the general public bemused, particularly if they don’t read the Guardian.

Having conquered the world of social media, Titania is now generously bestowing her wisdom onto a live audience. Her step-by-step guide will enable her audience to become the woke people they need to be in an increasingly progressive world.

In a non-patronising manner, Titania will explain where exactly they are going wrong and how to be more like her.  

link

Tweet:

Obviously there's a very serious side to this as it seems unelected government 'think tanks', selected 'academics' and the corporate media appear quite desperate to impress (or impose) this 'woke' cult mentality onto 'impressionable' young people - the speed with which some of the more radical ideology has been rushed through into legislation is also quite disturbing (and unprecedented).

All this from an incredibly small minority of unknown individuals with a highly unreasoned, illogical, undebated and quite possibly specious 'belief system'.

Here's the co-creator Andrew Doyle discussing the sometimes rather dangerous and subversive aspects of the 'woke' mentality - also thought there were some very good points made about the inversion of tolerance, the implementation of Orwellian authoritarianism and platforms like Twitter monitoring and actively curating their content and therefore being liable for prosecution.

Writer and comedian Andrew Doyle, behind the Jonathan Pie and Titania McGrath characters, gives his take on the woke movement of today. Doyle takes apart modern comedy and the woke movement who seek to censor and prevent freedom of speech.

'No such thing as facts' used to be the domain of halfwits but some of the 'cult' signs of Woke may also include courting victimhood; refusal to engage in honest, open, intellectual debate; abject hypocrisy and complete absence of critical thinking.

Granted criticism always works both ways and the people pushing this ideological agenda are only a small minority within a larger political framework but would be very interested to hear folk's opinions on the Andrew Doyle interview (if anyone takes the time to watch it).

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: karl 12

'No such thing as facts' used to be the domain of halfwits but some of the 'cult' signs of Woke may also include courting victimhood; refusal to engage in honest, open, intellectual debate; abject hypocrisy and complete absence of critical thinking.

Granted criticism always works both ways and the people pushing this ideological agenda are only a small minority within a larger political framework but would be very interested to hear folk's opinions on the Andrew Doyle interview (if anyone takes the time to watch it).
Cheers.

No time to watch at the moment.....may watch later just wanted to say

WOKE IS A JOKE......

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

Are you implying that conservatives are incapable of being 'woke'?

edit on 20/9/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 05:28 AM
link   
The term "woke" has a bitter taste. People that call themselves "woke" just serve their own ego. They want to put themselves on a higher level of understanding and it's my opinion that it does actually put a handbrake on their individual experience in learning new things.

"woke" seems to be the highest achievable, by that, it implies that's "the end of the pole mast" not possible to ascend higher than being "woke".

It's dangerous, it's like a roadblock on the own personal development. It's a bit similar to studied people that look down on someone with "just" a college degree. Everyone can learn stuff, copy the results others made. A lot of very successful people do not have a university degree, they are not dumb because of that.

I am in the car tuning business since spring but had my hands on engines and parts around it for years. I know a few thumb rules that lead me to good results fast and then I sit down and do the math. It's a bit like cooking, different ingredients in different amounts bring different results. Bigger is not always better.

I specialized on fine tuning the exhaust streams in turbo-motors and my results speak for themselves. Back to the customer, he had a problem with low boost pressure until 6k RPM and gave me a few numbers on his RB28DET. I sat down and compared numbers and worked out the volume for the perfect exhaust casing so it would not take away torque in upper range but spin up quick. Actually I could derive the volume and geometry for the exhaust housing from my own, very successful engine build.

I presented the solution to him. He was skeptical. A smaller exhaust housing? Modified compressor wheels? He started to throw in terms and questioned my knowledge. I had to admit I did never learn this professional. He was then very reservated but wanted to get my math. I told him the price and he freaked out and demanded it for free. I sent him out the door, the back door right from my office.

IDK why he was so upset but I think he had degrees and could just not accept that my recipe is successful. It's easy on the parts if the engine is mapped correct and if the exhaust flow is stable and established, it goes like crazy. He could have a #load of torque from 2700 RPM and then right into the wastegates but he prefered to slap on a even bigger turbo, which is by all means a bad idea and will burn away his pistons very quick.

But I am just a self-taught women, not studied and on top, have the nerves to be confident and proud in my work. I am not woke in that terms, it seems.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

WOKE IS A JOKE

You're not Woke enough

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 05:51 AM
link   
The term woke is just some piece of crap that someone made up and the headless masses of idiots out there thought it deserved repeating, like just about every other stupid "follow me" trend that is going on presently.

The real meaning of woke is "get your ass out of bed and do something meaningful".

edit on 20-9-2020 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

term woke is just some piece of crap that someone made up

Yep, but try to fight it rationally and see how far you get.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Woke is like enlightened, but at least to be enlightened you are supposed to have put in the hard work on your personal self. In order to be woke, it's expressive. You aren't into self-improvement and understanding. All being woke means is that you are armed and ready to tear down your fellow man for not being woke like you are.

It's a destructive ideology and cycle. There is never any improvement for anyone in it. It's all constantly negative all the time.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I bet they are all roommates.
edit on 20-9-2020 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

You're not Woke enough

*Woke* the 'new' cancel culture driven by oversensitive SJW snowflakes......

constantly on the look out for something to be offended by, the perennial

victims.

No thanks I think I'll stay asleep!!

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

No time to watch at the moment...may watch later

Hope you manage to watch the Andrew Doyle interview mate - I thought it was a very good one anyway.

originally posted by: charlyv

The term woke is just some piece of crap that someone made up

Hi Charly the origins of the term (and how it's been co-opted by extremists) are explained in the interview.

• Incidentally if anyone wants to start a cult there are some handy tips in the video below.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Woke is like enlightened, but at least to be enlightened you are supposed to have put in the hard work on your personal self. In order to be woke, it's expressive. You aren't into self-improvement and understanding. All being woke means is that you are armed and ready to tear down your fellow man for not being woke like you are.

It's a destructive ideology and cycle. There is never any improvement for anyone in it. It's all constantly negative all the time.

Your definition of woke has a simile of having a ring in your nose that welcomes anyone to pull it.
If you join the real world, you do not have to have cute little expressions to redefine things that most of us already know.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Did you watch the video? I was being sarcastic.

Or am I misreading your post?

SJW - my new hero

edit on 20-9-2020 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2020 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: karl 12
• Incidentally if anyone wants to start a cult there are some handy tips in the video below.

I don't think we would have anything to worry about cult-wise if the young, disaffected and the vulnerable had a little more to hope for. The future is bleak, cults are likely to be springing up all over the place. That should be no surprise to anyone.

I don't disagree with a lot of what Andrew Doyle has to say and he says it very well demonstrating that tact is something we can all aspire to without compromising on our freedom of speech.

He has more than a fair point that what we are hearing, largely, are the voices of privilege attempting to dicate what is and isn't offensive. The Guardian currently has it's knickers in a twist over QAnon. Three articles, that I have read I would not be surprised if it was more, in less than two weeks. They're verging on hysteria on the cultic hold it is taking over the traumatised and mentally unstable amongst the populace.

I think the take away is that, extremist polarisation doesn't benefit anyone in the long term. Both sides also appear to have a low opinion of the intelligence of those who follow these extremes but appear to be doing no investigations into who is providing the leadership or the brains to the outfits. If it is aimless and without effective leadership, then it'll fizzle or become small fractious groups. So why worry? But if they aren't really investigating to find that out, then they are just spreading their own paranoia, lamenting their own lack of popularity or relevance in a changing world.

I think a lot of what is going on in the UK is a reaction to lockdown and too much time reading crap on the internet or without engagement of critical thinking. That applies to the journalists as much as everyone else. Some of us had too much room to think, some of us had too little. The whole thing in the US is different and consequently rooted differently. The US has been influential in directing some aspects of UK culture but socio-culturally we're really worlds apart. We'll sort it out amongst ourselves and reach a working compromise, sure they will do the same, either way there are far bigger fishes that need frying and as ever this is just dramatic diversion. Entertaining, but nothing in the long term beyond distraction.

edit on 21-9-2020 by KilgoreTrout because: without without

ETA: example of the Guardian's apparent hysteria over QAnon...

One contributer to the QAnoncasualties forum said that his father had become “so invested in QAnon that it feels like someone just hypnotised him”.

Stanton has argued powerfully that QAnon is simply the Nazi cult rebranded. “Two definitions of a cult are: a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister; and a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing: a cult of personality surrounding the leaders. QAnon’s strange and sinister beliefs qualify it as a cult, as does QAnon’s misplaced admiration for Donald Trump.”

As with any cults, financial gain is not far away. QAnon merchandise has mushroomed. Websites hosting the theory are making money out of traffic. Covid quackery is doing brisk business on QAnon sites.

www.theguardian.com...

Also, bolded, is that even true? I thought one of the reasons we were being negatively impacted by the Google Ads algorhythm (whatevers) was because we were hosting some of that kind of talk and stuff - not really sure, perhaps someone can clarify that for me? I'm getting confused and we don't want me blithely wandering off into a cult of somekind, do we?

Thanks

edit on 21-9-2020 by KilgoreTrout because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2020 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

Your definition of woke has a simile of having a ring in your nose that welcomes anyone to pull it.
If you join the real world, you do not have to have cute little expressions to redefine things that most of us already know.

There was a YouTube commentator (Sargon of Akkad) who did a comparative on Christianity v. Islam who made a similar observation about the two. He noted that Christianity was mostly an internal self-improvement angle with its tenets while Islam's focus was more a externally focused faith directed toward all around you and improving them.

So, yeah, with enlightenment, you seek personal self-improvement, and with woke, it's about forcing everyone else around you to be improved, and it comes off in a negative, critical manner. It serves to make the practitioner of woke feel good because that person is always pointing out how much worse others are relative to themselves, but its outcome is to engender endless bad feelings. That's natural when your vehicle to feel good is to tear others down.

We should all have learned this when we went through our bullying phases in grade school.
edit on 21-9-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well thanks for actually addressing the interview mate - real interesting comments.

Probably all this conditioning is to implement what they tried (and failed) to implement decades ago.

posted on Dec, 9 2022 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Absolute time bump on this one.

It's all turned into one Nazi cult lol.

posted on Feb, 8 2023 @ 06:33 PM
link   

It's really hard to try and encapsulate the meaning of woke in a quick soundbite. Too many strands to it, ranging from the bourgeois elitist, to 'marginalized' grievance mongers, to supremacist power brokers and larpers who enjoy playing the endangered outsider before going home for their tea. It's all rooted in post modernist ideas of power and oppression, and finding the power and oppression in any situation whatsoever then conflating the smallest imagined example into systemic patterns of oppression. The main aim is just to keep the division and grievance bubbling away nicely while trying to subvert and destabilize society. It really is a beacon for cluster B personality disorders, and misguided souls who are conned into thinking they are doing the right thing because woke hides behind smiley diversity badges. That is until such a time as it gets actual power then, whatever it claims, social justice, fairness and equality are going to be in short supply.
edit on 8-2-2023 by fastzombie because: spelling mistake

new topics

top topics

join