It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paramedic Training Should Be Required Before Becoming A Police Officer

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Law enforcement officers across the nation should be required to take paramedic training and to be certified as paramedics before they can become police officers. They should be required to actively be looking for signs of medical distress in every person that they're taking into custody. "I didn't notice that he was dying" should never be allowed as an excuse. They should be required to notice....and then to render the proper medical assistance when warranted.
If they are made aware of the potential for the physical damage that they could inadvertently or purposely inflict on a suspect's body during different types of scenarios, they might...might... just be a bit more discerning in their choice of actions.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 02:11 AM
link   
We have EMTs for that kind of thing, but in some areas the local Police are also expected to be voluntary fire fighters. So there's that. I believe most Police Academies do have first aid as a course that needs to be passed.

Ideally the Police shouldn't have to do anything, people should think before they act so that the Police are never needed. Since people act stupid from time to time, then the Police shouldn't need to do much more than talk them down from whatever high horse the other person is on. When a person has become a danger to the community or themselves, does it really matter if taking them down might hurt them?

In the real world we have people that think its ok to make a false call to the Police just so they can show their kid what it's like to kill a cop, or other people who think ambushing a Police Officer in order to kill them is a great past time, and then finally we have people who just want to hurt other. Now we also have state governors wanting to make it less of a crime to attack a Police Officer. Does it matter really when people who day in and day out are out there in order to maintain a safe environment for the rest us of to live, are put in danger by people wanting to kill them, get hurt alittle/alot/die in their chosen action the remove those people who day in and day out are out there making it safer for the rest of us?

First Aid training is great for everyone, but especially for Law Enforcement personal, but asking them to act as EMTs as well as doing their jobs as a Law Enforcement Officers is pushing a certain line don't you think. Wouldn't it be better to ask people to just police themselves, and only call the Police when they can no longer do so safely?

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 02:25 AM
link   
If there were any good cops, then it stands to reason that there would not be any bad ones.

In many places we have Police standing down because they were ordered to.

How can Police even accept such orders?

Many of the Police in cities are not good Police and they often try to inflame situations so they can be brawly.

Sort the Police out before We The People have to.

P

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I do not agree with paramedic training. EMT training basics yes. You throw too much at a new trainee at one time and you will overload them. We are talking about police officers only yes?
edit on 28-8-2020 by CopeLongCut because: We are talking about police officers only yes? Was my edit

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants

If you weild the Power to take a Life you must also weild the Power to save life in case you screw up....right?

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

I think another part of the problem is your average Joe or Josephina should be able to earn enough money to support a spouse and children during the child rearing years so that at least one parent is home all day and can actually know first hand what their children are doing.
And people need to have good old fashioned common sense. I really miss common sense.
And church being the center foundation of a home doesn't hurt either.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants Avg Joes are still avg Joes. I believe it is the influence growing up that sparks your Avg Joe experience as parents. Is that too many Avg Joes? lol

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: CopeLongCut
I do not agree with paramedic training. EMT training basics yes. You throw too much at a new trainee at one time and you will overload them. We are talking about police officers only yes?

Throwing too much at them? Hardly. Intensive, comprehensive all encompassing training before allowing a rookie to set foot on the street must be mandatory.
After all these are people who are authorized by the government to use deadly force against American citizens. That's "deadly force"....so they damned well better be extremely well trained and prepared.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: one4all

If you weild the Power to take a Life you must also weild the Power to save life in case you screw up....right?

That makes perfect sense to me. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants I believe you are wrong. Respectfully. As a Union, or as a civilized world. We rely on each other. We rely on the next persons knowledge. Micro managing is an horrible idea?

edit on 28-8-2020 by CopeLongCut because: I suck at writing. I made only statements. Micro managing is an horrible idea?

edit on 28-8-2020 by CopeLongCut because: Edit. Changed my response at he end to reflect my edit.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Should paramedics also train as police officers?

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 03:44 AM
link   
It takes three years of intensive training to become a paramedic.

When are the police available to take three years out of policing to become

medically proficient to add paramedic qualifications to theirs of policing?

A paramedic is a LOT more than a first aider.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I agree.a reply to: eletheia

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
If there were any good cops, then it stands to reason that there would not be any bad ones.

In many places we have Police standing down because they were ordered to.

How can Police even accept such orders?

Many of the Police in cities are not good Police and they often try to inflame situations so they can be brawly.

Sort the Police out before We The People have to.

P

I disagree with you P. Where in Aust is this happening. Bear in mind I was a cop for nearly 30 years in a couple of jurisdictions. I had to ensure I had my emergency medical response updated yearly. In situ's where there was rioting, and there was serious # in central Aussie, just not reported. If I went down, so did my off sider's and our respective families followed.

Cops aren't punching bags for some idiot that thinks it's his or her goddamn right to get angry. Once taken down, I punched back for survival mate. You can't reason verbally with some people. I have the scars, and a permanent injury for trying to showing empathy for some alcohol ridden, drug smacked imbecile, who has just beaten his/her partner and kids and them thinks it's alright to come at me with an axe.

After these experiences for trying to be a reasonable D'head cop my wife and children now have to take on board what happened to me. Not only for one flamin instance but over a period of years until stupid, here, posting, eventually got taken out. Where does that help mate? My off sider and his family have to be protected, my family have to be protected, I have to get flown out by the flying doc.

Now, happy, you got me fired up, because I'm bein fair dinkum, but not one in all the times I was thrashed did I intentionally hurt anyone back. Wan!kers out there that think us cops have to cop it, forget it now. Because if I went down being bashed and kicked without reason I came back swinging.

I'm surprised P. You really have no idea what happens. I expected better of you. Went to the doc the other day to tidy up some bodily injuries that occurred some 17 years ago. Missus drove me. All because I tried to reason.

If given the chance again, yeah cobra, I'd 'be brawly.' You want proof, look at Rothwells 'Another Country'.

Being an Aussie I thought you'd have a better perspective.

My regards,

Bally

edit on 28-8-2020 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Just glad you got that off you chest. a reply to: bally001

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: CopeLongCut
Just glad you got that off you chest. a reply to: bally001

Cheers mate. Being a copper in remote areas isn't all 'beer and skittles'.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I agree. Nothing is ever black and white.a reply to: bally001

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: bally001

Cops aren't punching bags for some idiot that thinks it's his or her goddamn right to get angry.

Too right......

There are many instances they are required to protect a called out paramedic.

Paramedics carry drugs which yobs and drunks feel are fair game to call them

out for, and to hit out at the paramedic who has been called out to treat their

drunken self inflicted injuries.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 04:56 AM
link   
why not teach EMT's to shoot people?
2 totally different jobs / skills

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: acackohfcc
why not teach EMT's to shoot people?
2 totally different jobs / skills

Obviously so the paramedics can shoot the perps then the cops can resuscitate them and vice versa. See we just made a new tv show and we can call it 'doctor detective'

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join