It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paramedic Training Should Be Required Before Becoming A Police Officer

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: MissSmartypants

So why not spend that time and money trying to fix current training issues instead of spending it on training for an entirely different skill set that has practically nothing to do with the vast majority of law enforcement?

People like you want cops to masters of everything instead of recognizing that the very same expectation you have is part of the problem, not the solution.

Apprehending a suspect often gets physical so officers should have a rudimentary knowledge of what types of physical, internal damage can result from their actions and they should be required to watch for signs of physical distress in people they've taken physical control over.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

originally posted by: MissSmartypants
a reply to: Guyfriday

I think another part of the problem is your average Joe or Josephina should be able to earn enough money to support a spouse and children during the child rearing years so that at least one parent is home all day and can actually know first hand what their children are doing.
And people need to have good old fashioned common sense. I really miss common sense.
And church being the center foundation of a home doesn't hurt either.

"Common sense" isn't real.

Common sense makes no sense.

I haven't clicked on your link....but perhaps I should have said "good sense"....or does that not exist either?

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: MissSmartypants

originally posted by: Shamrock6

So why not spend that time and money trying to fix current training issues instead of spending it on training for an entirely different skill set that has practically nothing to do with the vast majority of law enforcement?

People like you want cops to masters of everything instead of recognizing that the very same expectation you have is part of the problem, not the solution.

Apprehending a suspect often gets physical so officers should have a rudimentary knowledge of what types of physical, internal damage can result from their actions and they should be required to watch for signs of physical distress in people they've taken physical control over.

There’s a giant leap between “rudimentary knowledge” and “certified paramedic.”

Police officers are already obligated to care for and monitor individuals in their custody under the 14th and 5th amendments, and claims of inadequate medical care are examined through precedent established by the 8th amendment regarding deliberate indifference.

Not being a certified paramedic isn’t “deliberate indifference.” Most cops have no interest in becoming a licensed health care worker, we’d rather spend training budgets on things to do our actual job better rather than adding a completely separate job to the existing job.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

To add:

I, a life support EMT/paramedic...can't perform law enforcement...but a cop with us in the rig can respond medically.

And cops usually... are there 1st.

Great idea. We welcome the help.

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 12:57 AM
link   
We've all seen tv show fist fights where afterwards everyone just wipes off the trickle of blood from the corner of their mouth with the back of their hand and they're good as new....when in reality there is no safe impact to a human skull, whether it be on the hood of a police car or impact with an asphalt road. In truth one hit to the wrong part of a skull can be deadly. I think tv and movies have given people the wrong idea about just how fragile a human body can be. Police officers need to be especially aware of that.

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 06:34 AM
link   

This is why police officers are taught how to restrain someone if needed. Howeverwith any kind of restraint the more the individual fights the more likely they are injured.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join