It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Didnt see one of these here...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I used the search on here and found no results to this creature, so I decided to post my find....

Known as The Hoan Keim Turtle, and believed to be one of the last of its kind, found in the Hoan Kiem Lake in Hanoi Vietnam. Estimates on the size are 6 1/2 feet long and close to 400 pounds in weight.

nytts.org...

www.cnn.com...

I did a bit of research on this article and found a few links that supports it. However as it stated, some of the residence there do not believe in this creature and is up there with the lockness monster.

"This turtle is a fascinating phenomenon, probably the biggest soft-shell in the world and certainly the most endangered," said Peter Pritchard, a renowned turtle biologist. "People in Vietnam are treating it like the Loch Ness monster, but this is not a myth. People need to treat it like a biological thing — an endangered species."

www.geocities.com...

What are your thoughts on this? With more and more new species appearing and disappearing in this world it wouldnt surprise me if it was real.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Wow thats incredible. Rather than a fake animal that everyone beleives in, its a real animal that no one beleives in!

The article says it may be 500 years old, but doesn't give a good reason for that, and notes that there is one photograph of it completely ot of the water.

This is good news for people studying cryptids too. Here's an animal that has evaded capture and has given only a few pics in its entire history, and it lives in a small lake/pond. I would've thought an organized search or two would show up something.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
[img]http://www.cnn.com/EARTH/9804/13/vietnam.turtles.ap/turtle.photo.ap.jpg[/im]

Seems the two above and three other very poor pics are the only ones that google is comming up with

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Wow thats incredible. Rather than a fake animal that everyone beleives in, its a real animal that no one beleives in!

Funny stuff. Thnx for your image find. Im going to see if there is another search engine that will produce more info.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
There may never be a good picture taken.

"I think it's pretty clear they aren't reproducing," said Pritchard, who compares Hoan Kiem to an old-age home for the turtles. "My inclination is that they're doomed."

The photo posted is more than 10 years old. Is this creature still around? I know turtles are long lived but anything can happen in 10 years.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
It's so cute, in a weird, disgusting sorta way. I, as well, wonder if it is still alive...

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Seeing as they doubt they're breeding, perhaps capturing a couple to at least harvest some eggs/sperm/DNA would be an idea.

May be possible to bring 'em back sometime.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
What's with 'nam lately...??? Remember those nose-slitted deer they found there a few years back? Freaky....

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
What's with 'nam lately...??? Remember those nose-slitted deer they found there a few years back? Freaky....

Agent Orange perhaps?

top topics

join