It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School starting...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I can't really offer any opinions because I don't have any kids, but I'd like some feed back from those members who do.

With covid19 not showing any signs of slowing down, do those of you with school age children feel comfortable sending your young ones off to
school? Be they private, public, alternative, or University.

Social distancing, masks and other safety measures will be a joke in a school environment just like any gathering place.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I know quite a few people here who are going to homeschool this year instead of sending them to school. I bet there will be fifteen to twenty percent of the people here who are now going to homeschool. Way up from maybe two percent a couple of years ago.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I know quite a few people here who are going to homeschool this year instead of sending them to school. I bet there will be fifteen to twenty percent of the people here who are now going to homeschool. Way up from maybe two percent a couple of years ago.

A tough option for parents who work for a living and aren't "working from home". Must be a bunch of unemployed people in your area.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

My 17 yr old starts in early August and to be honest I'm not worried at all.
She has been hanging with friends for months and working in a crowded ice cream shop even through the lockdown.

Had this virus been a truly deadly one things would be different but as it is... Meh

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I will be sending all 4 of my kids in about 2 weeks. Though, I fully expect school to be closed by October.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   
What do think Gretchen is going to say about homeschooling ? a reply to: rickymouse

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   

There's an existing thread here discussing this.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
I will be sending all 4 of my kids in about 2 weeks. Though, I fully expect school to be closed by October.

It won't be closed until after football season..

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Thanks for the responses...but sorry, duplicate.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I got a flag in there before it's closed.

I've been thinking of homeschooling for some time now (and it was before Trump weighed in) and might just do that to avoid the mess in the fall. I'm still not sure.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: panoz77

A tough option for parents who work for a living and aren't "working from home". Must be a bunch of unemployed people in your area.

Not really, but it is a social place. There are mothers that don't work and some are helping their friends by allowing their kids to come stay the day while homeschooling instead of worrying about school and daycare after school. If the ones who are not working make as much as a baby sitter, they are happy. Also, a lot of grandparents take care of the grandkids during the day.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluemooone2
What do think Gretchen is going to say about homeschooling ? a reply to: rickymouse

My oldest daughters kids are all enrolled in online school, that is actually the homeschooling I am talking about. They were coming home sick and spreading illness to everyone so they put them into online classes two years ago, lot less sickness in the house since then. There have been so many kids missing school around here in the last couple of years from school transmissions that many parents are sick of taking the kids to the doctors all the time. They even closed a few schools because so many kids were sick a few times....before the covid was a threat.

A lot of people have signed up for the online school now but the Michigan based school she uses is now filled up, they are trying to expand it but have to find more teachers. The kids are doing great in it, probably because they don't spend half the year sick with one illness or another. I call it homeschooling because it is technically homeschooling but it is actually real school...just at home.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Both of mine are going to school. One has asthma so I’m more worried about the mask thing than COVID-19 since he’s been hanging out with his friends and their families all summer and never got sick. But the one thing that does bother him is wearing the mask due to his asthma.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I can't really offer any opinions because I don't have any kids, but I'd like some feed back from those members who do.

With covid19 not showing any signs of slowing down, do those of you with school age children feel comfortable sending your young ones off to
school? Be they private, public, alternative, or University.

Social distancing, masks and other safety measures will be a joke in a school environment just like any gathering place.

1. People under the age of like 25 have a greater chance of complications with the normal flu than COVID-19, so opening schools is close to no risk for them.

2. School are also daycare and single, duel working parents need it as they need to work as their kids are in school.

3. Many under privilege kids get meals, care, oversight from schools. One school district in OR has 1500 homeless level kids attend each day and that is where they ate and were cared for.

4. Virtual classrooms have been a failure as less than 40% of kids even logged in once. Most just started their summer early. Also only the privilege can typically access the classrooms well. see No. 3... as example.

5. Teachers who might be high risk can virtually log into the class room full of physical bodies, while having physical teacher helpers there (younger adults) so there is ways to make it work.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
Both of mine are going to school. One has asthma so I’m more worried about the mask thing than COVID-19 since he’s been hanging out with his friends and their families all summer and never got sick. But the one thing that does bother him is wearing the mask due to his asthma.

Tell him to just keep his nose out.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Not really, but it is a social place. There are mothers that don't work and some are helping their friends by allowing their kids to come stay the day while homeschooling instead of worrying about school and daycare after school. If the ones who are not working make as much as a baby sitter, they are happy. Also, a lot of grandparents take care of the grandkids during the day.

Sounds good like a small community, but I would say the vast majority of single parents/duel working parents need the daycare aspects of school, otherwise you have kids supervising kids...not good. How do you think a 5 and 7 year old home all day as the parent works...lol

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I told him do what he has to and if the school has a problem they can call me.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I like what our district has decided to do. Give parents a choice.

They can send their children to school as there is plenty of evidence that it is safe. Lots of studies from Europe. Plus everyone in school, including the children will be required to wear a mask. There will be regular breaks for outside play where the children will be required to social distance and can remove their masks.

They can also choose NOT to send their children to school and enroll them in an online school. Which is great for parents who don't want to send their children to school.

This will allow for smaller classes and more social distancing as they are expecting nearly 50% of the parents to homeschool or online school.

I like this compromise that allows parents to decide, not the government or a bureaucracy.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Difficult choice really. What options are there?

Try to think not of just your own options, but someone say, living paycheck to paycheck with no option for remote learning (maybe no computer or broadband internet), etc.

Schools should be opened and best possible for people who can't homeschool for now (homeschooling for those that can), take as much measures as possible, and if its feasable, perhaps covid testing a couple times a week for all students (hell, make it part of science class)

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies

I like what our district has decided to do. Give parents a choice.

They can send their children to school as there is plenty of evidence that it is safe. Lots of studies from Europe. Plus everyone in school, including the children will be required to wear a mask. There will be regular breaks for outside play where the children will be required to social distance and can remove their masks.

They can also choose NOT to send their children to school and enroll them in an online school. Which is great for parents who don't want to send their children to school.

This will allow for smaller classes and more social distancing as they are expecting nearly 50% of the parents to homeschool or online school.

I like this compromise that allows parents to decide, not the government or a bureaucracy.

I'd agree with this, with the extra bit (see my post above) of testing a couple times a week for students showing up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join