It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Abbott warns of 'lockdown' coming next if virus spread doesn't slow

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Greg Abbot prepared to take the next step, apparently. A far cry from his comments earlier in this pandemic;

With Texas continuing to break records for new coronavirus deaths and hospitalizations this week, Gov. Greg Abbott reiterated Friday afternoon that things will continue to get worse. And if people keep flouting his new statewide mask mandate, he said, the next step could be another economic lockdown.

"Things will get worse, and let me explain why," he told KLBK TV in Lubbock. "The deaths that we're seeing announced today and yesterday - which are now over 100 - those are people who likely contracted COVID-19 in late May.

"The worst is yet to come as we work our way through that massive increase in people testing positive."

Source

Not sure how that go down with Texans as they seem to be the more resistant bunch to any lockdown measures. Abbott has a fight on his hands I tell you that, and it may hurt him in the end. He's in a pickle politically with this whole damn thing, I get it. Though, I certainly wouldn't want to be the government overseeing a complete breakdown in the medical field. Houston ICUs overwhelmed from recent reports. Covid parties being held in defiance of the pandemic all over the South, where a man, 30, died from contracting the virus after calling it a hoax. And then you have people in defiance of even mask-wearing in public, like Qanon Karen, who filmed herself throwing out masks on sale on the floors of Target. Yep, Governors like Abbott have a fight on their hands. I wish them all the best. Texas currently sits 3rd only behind Cali and NY.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

“Texas currently sits 3rd only behind Cali and NY”

Maybe that because Cali, N.Y. and Texas are all in the top 4 population states in the US.

worldpopulationreview.com...

Just wait until 30,000,000 people get their last $600 a week stimulus check on Sunday July 26th (15 days from now).

If Abbott does another economic lockdown there — it will only prove his enormous hubris stupidity.

I’ve got MANY ties to Texas.

You fu## with the bull, you get the horns!

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   

From your linked article

Dr Jane Appleby, chief medical officer for Methodist Hospital and Methodist Children’s Hospital in San Antonio, said that the unidentified man’s last words were: “I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it's not.”

Sounds like a totally legit thing somebody says before they die. Definitely doesn't sound like a manufactured sound byte made to make international headlines.

(post by ChiefD removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 08:57 PM
link   
He won't do another Lockdown Southern, it's that simple.

Rather meaningless creating a thread on this.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 08:58 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD

POST REMOVED BY STAFF

Why are people so dependent on answers from people who keep changing the story and the rules?
People should do their own research and try to find their own answers.
But they won't because they won't have anyone to blame and that is what they want.....someone to blame
edit on Sat Jul 11 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 09:59 PM
link   

This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite political debate will be enforced.
Member must Stay on Topic!!!
Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

No Political Trolling.....either in words or images.
Is There Civilization Without Civility

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Since 90% of the masks people wear don't stop any virus, I guess Texas is headed back to lock-down.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   
In Texas, mitigation measures were withdrawn prematurely, while infection rates were not declining and other measures were not in effect. We see the results.

We'll see if masks are sufficient, but at the rate the virus is spreading, they may well not be.

Party hearty dude!

That's why we can't have good things.
edit on 7/11/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: carewemust

Since 90% of the masks people wear don't stop any virus,

You have a source. Right?

Only N-95 masks filter out viruses. Most people don't wear N-95 masks.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Only N-95 masks filter out viruses.

Very few filters are fine enough to filter viruses. They are very, very small. But what about the droplets which carry them?

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:19 PM
link   
President Trump here now setting a good example to his supporters!

I'll give him credit. I mean he's mean purposefully avoiding it for the most but he's come to the table, alongside Abbott now mandating masks in Texas. Great. Save lives, minimize the spread of infections. I hope his followers will start following suit. I don't want to see ANYBODY suffer from this virus. I may disagree with you, but I care for your wellbeing. Call me whatever you want, I'll just be happy you're here to do so.

President Trump.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Only N-95 masks filter out viruses.

Very few filters are fine enough to filter viruses. They are very, very small. But what about the droplets which carry them?

Re: www.center4research.org...

Surgical masks block 80% of droplets
N-95 masks block 90%

Cloth? Who knows.

link   

Only N-95 masks filter out viruses

Phage asked for a source. Where is it? 90% of masks don't work?

link   

Do you think he's going to make a habit of it?
Because that's really what it takes.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Table 1. Deaths involving coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), pneumonia, and influenza reported to NCHS by week ending date, United States. Week ending 2/1/2020 to 7/4/2020. cdc website

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:22 PM
link   
80% is a hell of a lot better than nothing.
Right?

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

Your source:

COVID-19 death counts shown here may differ from other published sources, as data currently are lagged by an average of 1–2 weeks.

The situation is in flux. More current sources show that daily deaths are on the rise.
covidtracking.com...

In Texas, more so. Big time more so.
covidtracking.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   

80% is a hell of a lot better than nothing.
Right?

Definitely! Most of the people I see every day out on the town are wearing cloth masks, or simple bandanas.

But in Texas, the governor is over-reacting. Maybe it's because he's sickly to begin with?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join