It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the protests for the disabled?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Where are the protests for the disabled?

The Unacknowledged Crisis of Violence Against Disabled People

Living with a disability is undoubtedly linked to a higher probability of experiencing violence. Though research on the intersection of violence and disability is limited (which inherently reflects unconcern for our experiences), existing work illustrates this link unmistakably. In 2015, disabled people were 2.5 times more likely than nondisabled people to experience violent victimization.1 And serious violent crimes (i.e., sexual assault, aggravated assault, and robbery) were even more disproportionate, more than three times as likely to impact disabled people.1

These statistics only reflect violence against disabled people living in households, excluding those who are homeless and the many who have been forced into institutions. And disabled people constitute an exceptional proportion of the institutionalized population: 95% of those age 65 or older in 2015.1 Moreover, research has suggested that an overwhelming 82% of violence against developmentally disabled adults is carried out in institutions,

Abusers perceive disabled people as conveniently vulnerable. This is reflected in this unsettlingly disproportionate violence as well as when it occurs. Disabled people are more likely than nondisabled people to be victimized during daytime hours 5, as if the vulnerability that nondisabled people only experience at night is inescapable for disabled people even when the sun rises.

Disabled children have to deal with this vulnerability in school, too. Of the nearly 50,000 US students who were physically restrained during the 2013–2014 school year, more than 75% were students who received disability accommodations.8 This is absurdly disproportionate given that these students represented just 14% of the student population.9

cdrnys.org...

Only four out of ten working-age adults with disabilities are employed

Employment rates among people with disabilities are very, very low: Only 40 percent of adults with disabilities in their prime working years (ages 25-54) have a job, compared to 79 percent of all prime-age adults. 

www.google.com...

Half of People Killed by Police Have a Disability: Report

Almost half of the people who die at the hands of police have some kind of disability, according to a new report, as officers are often drawn into emergencies where urgent care may be more appropriate than lethal force.

www.google.com...

Disability Representation Is Seriously Lacking In TV And Movies: Report

People with disabilities are sorely lacking in representation both on screen and behind the camera, according to a new report funded by the Ford Foundation.

The “Road Map for Inclusion” report, released Wednesday, details how few disabled people are seen in movies and on TV and calls for proportional representation going forward. That means there should be 1 in 4 people “both in front of and behind the camera” with disabilities ― which would match the 1 in 4 adults in the U.S. who live with a disability, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

www.google.com...

I belong to this siverly marginalized group in our society; so it is possible that I am to close to the subject matter to see it objectively.

However it can not be argued aganst that the institutionalized bigotry that this group endures is on the same scale as women faced with sexual abuse and people of color faced with police brutality; yet you never hear about it in the news.

Where is the #meto movement for the disabled?

Do disabled lives matter? If you judge this question on how much attention the disabled receive in the MSM; no our lives apparently don't matter.

Where is our leadership? Our reputation? When is it our turn to have parades and protests?

What do we need to burn down to get some attention?

edit on 5-6-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 10:45 PM
link   
They’re locked down due to the Coronavirus. You gotta be strictly a blm protestor if you don’t want to abide by the Coronavirus lockdowns.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 11:02 PM
link   
If you were born in an earlier time youd be either left somewhere to die of the elements, thrown in a sewer or left to die in the woods somewhere if you were a burden on the family. Now you have special olympics, youre beloved wrestler celebrities in Japan, you get special buses... hell.. you will probably get your own channel.. DET: Disabled Entertainment Television.

( Im probably going to hell for that joke.. sorry, it IS a joke though. Its a night in desperate need of dark humor...)

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   
They will be held one month after the protests, in the host country.

We plan to T.P. the Chrysler Building.

I'm a disabled veteran, so I am allowed to joke about this.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150

LOL Youll get this then.. my husband was shot in the chest a few during Desert Storm.. came back from combat in a mood.. had to have another surgery due to fragments of metal migrating close to organs and they gave him a little loopy cocktail before he was being taken back in to surgery. He said Im gonna do it! I asked what.. he said he was drawing dicks all over the VA when he got out.

Hes not disabled.. maybe a little in the brain, but thats another story.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage

LOL Youll get this then.. my husband was shot in the chest a few during Desert Storm.. came back from combat in a mood.. had to have another surgery due to fragments of metal migrating close to organs and they gave him a little loopy cocktail before he was being taken back in to surgery. He said Im gonna do it! I asked what.. he said he was drawing dicks all over the VA when he got out.

Hes not disabled.. maybe a little in the brain, but thats another story.

Pretty much every vet wants to paint penises all over the local VA hospital.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

My oldest daughter has an intellectual disability. She's always been a target for those who prey on people weaker than them. People can be so cruel. She does have a job though...even a 'career'. She's a nursing assistant in a nursing home and is great at what she does. But I worried her entire child hood about what would become of her as an adult...will she ever find love with someone who will treat her with kindness? I haven't seen many people treat her kindly.

And, of course, there are the children...where are the protests for the children who are abused and neglected by white and black adults and have zero voice?

Perspective is very much needed, right now.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Notice how the pandemic is not even mentioned anymore..hmmm....

I swear people are like "look squirrel" every time the media farts.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 11:37 PM
link   

My oldest daughter has an intellectual disability. She's always been a target for those who prey on people weaker than them. People can be so cruel. She does have a job though...even a 'career'. She's a nursing assistant in a nursing home and is great at what she does. But I worried her entire child hood about what would become of her as an adult...will she ever find love with someone who will treat her with kindness? I haven't seen many people treat her kindly.

And, of course, there are the children...where are the protests for the children who are abused and neglected by white and black adults and have zero voice?

Mine too.. I spoke about her and the issues at length yrs ago on here... my oldest daughter had a traumatic brain injury as a child and is "on the spectrum"... I STILL have all of those fears because she is vulnerable. I used to ask my husband " does she have "victim" tattooed on her forehead and I cant see it?" Bad people, particularly males, can see her a mile away... ugh. Add to that she is model-type beautiful.. yet dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to interpersonal stuff. etc.

The world has a lot of evil in it.. and evil doesnt really have a skin color. We have to remember it also has a LOT of good here too. Im not a very good person, but I honestly try to be and I do things purposely to at least bring some good to this place.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Notice how the pandemic is not even mentioned anymore..hmmm....

I swear people are like "look squirrel" every time the media farts.

I have Multiple Sclerosis. My life is a $hit show, depending on the day.

Corona virus/ AKA China flu has been a JOKE.

Oh yeah... don't protest, for the disabled. We really don't f**king want that.

If you really want to help... let this country get back to normal.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 11:45 PM
link   

If you really want to help... let this country get back to normal.

Agree...

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Maybe the time is now for you to become that figure head, why wait for someone else to be that person, you seem to be knowledgeable and eloquent enough, start with social media and hopefully you will get the recognition your campaign deserves

I have family with both physical and mental disabilities but with living in the UK we dont have to suffer at the hands over an over zealous police force, the fact you raised that almost half the people killed by LEOs just reinforces how training needs improving and urgently.

Disabled People Against Cuts

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown

Maybe the time is now for you to become that figure head, why wait for someone else to be that person, you seem to be knowledgeable and eloquent enough, start with social media and hopefully you will get the recognition your campaign deserves

I have family with both physical and mental disabilities but with living in the UK we dont have to suffer at the hands over an over zealous police force, the fact you raised that almost half the people killed by LEOs just reinforces how training needs improving and urgently.

Disabled People Against Cuts

I have thought about it; unfortunately I don't have the "LOOK". I am a middle aged white male and my disability isn't visible ... in todays climate if I where to ask the questions I did in my OP in a less anonymous fashion I'd be labeled a racist or sexist for daring to compare myself to other groups who face similar problems... it has happened when I've tried.

edit on 6-6-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I don't know?
Why aren't you out protesting for this issue?

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   

You should start one, be a disabled advocate. Don't be lazy and sit home and complain about it.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Thanks for posting this.

Tyvm.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Yeah you hear that man?
Nobody gives a # so it's all up to you now.

Hahahaha.

What you need is full control of CNN for 15 minutes and you could have the country rioting for disabled ppl.

Until CNN says it's a good cause we're #d basically.

There's nearly nothing we can do about this right now in any meaningful way.

But - you made a good point!

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

You should start one, be a disabled advocate. Don't be lazy and sit home and complain about it.

Lazy? Really? He just told you why he isn't and it has nothing to do with laziness. Don't be a jerk.

No one can see mine either (unless they see the scar running up the whole inside of my leg) except for a limp but if I walk around a store by the time I get done I just want to sit down because my legs hurt. When I get home after the car ride it takes a few moments just to stand up and start moving, and that's after a short ride.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

Get lost with that crap. Unless you're dead you can always do something.

I called it, lazy. Or maybe just wants to make a false equivocacy to the other protests going on now since they don't like them.

Take your pick.

edit on 6-6-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Are the buses short?

Im only interested if they are short.

As a cripple that "presents" relatively normally.. Using modern parlance (
) Ive had to face some pretty serious BS.

Particularly from the medical establishment, and the government. The discrimination from the former has almost led to my death. More than once. The latter said I was totally noy disabled because Im "partially ambulatory" (their words). Hell, if they had just said "ambulatory," it would have been less offensive.

I do alright though. The years Ive been disabled have been used to expand the design principles of the stuff I had been working on before The Crippling.

I do frequently feel Im discarded by society as a whole, especially institutionalized systems. But hey, life is a brutal s#!+show, then we die.

I just try to do my part to maybe make it a bit less crappy and brutal, for myself and others, with a strong focus on achieving self-sufficiency and autonomy. The very things someone in my position tends to miss most.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join