It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Face Masks Pose Serious Risks To The Healthy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage
Did yall know that in Japan they sell flavored masks...

I did not!

The strawberry smells like lube...

For some reason, strawberry flavor anything never tastes right to me... well, except, real strawberries.

....and masks for sinus/allergy/dry throat that smell like Vicks?

That's actually quite intriguing. I would think they couldn't be worn for too long, but that's a pretty nifty idea if it works.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes, I can see where the risk to other's health situations is greater than the risk to your own, and why it's appropriate. One of those "greater good" situations.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

originally posted by: Advantage
Did yall know that in Japan they sell flavored masks...

I did not!

The strawberry smells like lube...

For some reason, strawberry flavor anything never tastes right to me... well, except, real strawberries.

....and masks for sinus/allergy/dry throat that smell like Vicks?

That's actually quite intriguing. I would think they couldn't be worn for too long, but that's a pretty nifty idea if it works.

Theyve also had masks that you wear exclusively for sleep.. while you sleep.. in Japan.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I like strawberry pop (well I did when carbonated beverages still tasted good to me), but it didn't really taste like actual strawberries.

I also don't think like grape flavor tastes like grape.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I guess that is why doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals wear them. They are just ornaments.

Yes, the adverse effects cited in the OP happen to doctors, nurses and other medical professionals wearing masks, usually in high-risk situations, and no longer than necessary, discarding them immediately in case they are contaminated, as evidenced by the fact that studies cited were conducted among healthcare providers.

...masks restrict the spread of exhaled air.

Yup. The masks then retain virus cells in that exhaled air, as intended, which are then re-inhaled, and re-exhaled, and re-inhaled... and because the masks trap those virus cells, there is a good chance they can travel directly to and infect the brain.

The point is for unknowingly infected people to not spread it which has been said repeatedly. It is not going to keep you from catching it from some infected person thats breathing on you.

Exactly right. If someone with corona cooties -- or any cooties -- breathes on your mask, you will breathe those cooties in and infect yourself. The mask catches and retains the virus cells. Just like if you exhale corona cooties into your mask, your mask will catch and retain those virus cells, which you will re-inhale and re-infect yourself again and again and again...

Doing so will increase your viral load, very likely increase your cytokine storm, and most likely result in severe complications.

I am going to go with common sense on the matter...

It is common sense. Why would anyone think a mask that cannot protect you from someone else's cooties can protect you from your own???

I don't believe a piece of cloth that simply restricts exhaled air is going to make me sick when gas masks and full MOP gear that I had to wear in the military and sometimes sleep in didn't make me sick.

Do what you think is best.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
I don't generally have breathing issues, even though I've had an inhaler in the past when I had PPH before my Apnea diagnosis and subsequent CPAP use. But the other day I was in Target, Staples and Meijer looking for a monitor and wore the cloth mask in each store. Since I wanted to get in and out of the store quickly, I wasn't walking real slow and by the time I left each store I found I felt a little short of breath. I will have to be careful with this, maybe the heart attack last summer affected more than we thought.

Please do be careful!

The article did mention conditions that are treated with CPAP as more vulnerable, so I would consider it safe (and safer!) to just assume it is a vulnerability.

Not to say you should panic, of course! Just be aware and take appropriate precautions.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

Excellent info.

The CDC and WHO will ignore it of course.

So will all the scaredy cats.

I make it a habit to never get all my information in one place... and never the CDC or the WHO if at all possible!!!

Well, except to know what they're up to.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I think the creepiest thing I've heard is that they want to try making all toddlers 3 and up in daycares wear masks here.

I can't imagine trying to get 3 and 4 year olds to wear masks for 8 hours a day, five days a week.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Wow. They'd probably have better success herding cats. Toddlers aren't going to leave masks on, and you can't scare them with the corona boogieman...

Although now that I think about it, Mexicans have their "cucuy" which is close to a boogieman... pronounced "coo-coo-ee." I suppose there could be a Corona de Cucuy. Or maybe that should be Cucuy de Corona.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I think the creepiest thing I've heard is that they want to try making all toddlers 3 and up in daycares wear masks here.

I can't imagine trying to get 3 and 4 year olds to wear masks for 8 hours a day, five days a week.

They had me.. cause I was doing nothing and not because of my skills with other peoples kids.. instruct kids at the local hospital how to wear masks and why they would rely on masks for a long time to keep them safe since they are taking immunosuppressive drugs ( either anti rejection or chemo) to prevent rejection or treat different cancers, blah blah blah. Now these are ped patients ( cancers, transplants, etc) and one kid was just NOT having it. He was flipping his lid over everything and he would not even TRY to put it on. He would yell at me and even tried to bite me. I worked WAY too long in an ER dodging crack head and bum bites to let a kid get me. Little did I know.. he was autistic along with being a heart and lung transplant recipient. Now I was about to strangle this kid Im tellin ya. I even tried bribing him and went to the gift shop and intended to make a little mask to put on this rabbit toy and give it to him IF he would put the mask on. I get upstairs and the nurses just happened to mention.. oh yeah, you might have difficulty with so-n-so.. he is autistic.

WHich goes to prove what Im about to say... kids and adults with spectrum disorders and particularly tactile issues.. sensory issues.. they really cant wear the masks. They just cant. Weve even tried the super comfort masks they do make in Japan.. and ohh theyre sooooft.. but nope. Its never going to happen. End of story.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Exactly right. If someone with corona cooties -- or any cooties -- breathes on your mask, you will breathe those cooties in and infect yourself. The mask catches and retains the virus cells. Just like if you exhale corona cooties into your mask, your mask will catch and retain those virus cells, which you will re-inhale and re-infect yourself again and again and again...

In that case, all the Muslim countries where women cover their faces must be in such bad shape. Wait, that isn't happening so I think your quack doctor is full of it. Here is the thing, there are several countries where people regularly wore masks even before covid-19 and there has never been a problem. Now all of a sudden there are people coming out of the woodwork making wild claims about masks making people sick.

It is common sense. Why would anyone think a mask that cannot protect you from someone else's cooties can protect you from your own???

You could have looked at the video provided which clearly showed how a simple mask prevents the breath wich for an infected person would contain the virus from spreading. Could you not make the connection do you lack the most rudimentary ability to make the connection?

I will say it again. Masks are so you don't spread the virus to others. Jackasses who don't wear them are not the ones in danger they are the potential danger to others. Not that masks of any type are foolproof. No one ever claimed they were. Just like safety goggles for shooting are not 100% effective nor steel toe boots for keeping your feet safe, or seatbelts, airbags, work gloves. They are precautions, measures taken that increase the chances of protecting you. In the case of masks, the people wearing them are doing so to increase the safety of those around them knowing full well it doesn't protect themselves. It is a selfless act.

When I go to stores I wear one because I usually take care of several errands at once which I know increases the chances I could pick up the bug. I don't wish to spread it to others if that happens. I don't say anything to those who don't wear them when I am out and about, but on occasion when some people who don't wear them decide to get to close to me I start fake coughing and watch all their bravado or maybe it is something else disappear while they make all haste to put as much distance between me and them as possible. The mask serves another purpose then, it hides my smirk.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 10:06 PM
link   

They wear face masks all over Asia on a regular basis, with no problems.

/thread

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

You could have looked at the video provided which clearly showed how a simple mask prevents the breath wich for an infected person would contain the virus from spreading.

I do not and did not need your Captain Obvious video to know that wearing a mask catches and retains any virus cells exhaled. Apparently you need a freaking video to understand that for the same reason that mask will not protect us from other people's cooties, it won't protect us from our own.

Could you not make the connection do you lack the most rudimentary ability to make the connection?

Reduced to insults to prop up your gaslighting, gotcha. And yes, it's gaslighting. I don't believe for a minute that you lack the most rudimentary ability to make the connection. Nor do I believe for a minute that you couldn't find some clinical studies to support your trash talk if they existed.

Jackasses who don't wear them are not the ones in danger they are the potential danger to others.

More petty insults and gaslighting. It goes both ways. You know it.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

originally posted by: HalWesten
I don't generally have breathing issues, even though I've had an inhaler in the past when I had PPH before my Apnea diagnosis and subsequent CPAP use. But the other day I was in Target, Staples and Meijer looking for a monitor and wore the cloth mask in each store. Since I wanted to get in and out of the store quickly, I wasn't walking real slow and by the time I left each store I found I felt a little short of breath. I will have to be careful with this, maybe the heart attack last summer affected more than we thought.

Please do be careful!

The article did mention conditions that are treated with CPAP as more vulnerable, so I would consider it safe (and safer!) to just assume it is a vulnerability.

Not to say you should panic, of course! Just be aware and take appropriate precautions.

Thanks for being a caring person, I will be careful.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 10:16 PM
link   
When I worked at the foundry, we wore masks most of the shift. Nobody seemed to be sickly from them. They were N95 type masks and not wearing them working on the osborn shakeout was not an option. Miners often wear face masks too, most of the day. The health problems they have are more do from them leaking dust which gets into their lungs.

If you have breathing problems, yes masks are bad. But normally they are not that much of an issue. Plus as you breath, the mask gains a charge which attracts dirt to the sides of the filter, so a virus would likely not pass through it, instead it would get stuck to the filter even though it fits through. Running with one on is not good, neither is working all day with one when it is hot. I used to do a lot of insulating and wore a mask while blowing attics, it is very hot in attics in the summer time. It sucked but I survived. I blew most of the attics because I did not want my workers breathing that dust, so I probably blew three hundred attics over twenty years of insulating houses

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: kasalt

As I understand it, they wear them while outside because the smog is so severe (in which case circumstances create a greater risk). They are not worn inside, and certainly not for extended periods. (Of course, another common use was for protesters to avoid tear gas.)

I'm also not so sure there aren't adverse effects felt. I'm not sure we would know if there were. It was only because of current demands that I heard anything, and it was healthcare workers who first told me their concerns with masks, I didn't read it in the news. One of these persons was informed by their epidemiologist boss.

I'm sure there are some people who can handle masks for extended periods better than others. I'm also sure there are people who are more vulnerable to adverse effects than others, for obvious reasons.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 10:28 PM
link   

I dont know about all of Asia, but in Japan they wear them indoors as well.. though typically not in their own homes.. when the cedars are blooming particularly anyway.They use them to sleep in like for flights, bus rides, trains, etc.. or if your allergies are really bad, they DO wear them at home to sleep in. Kids of all ages wear them for all different activities as well. They are pretty darned knowledgeable about the masks and the particulate nanometers and etc of pollutants, virus, allergens, etc.. and have an incredible variety of masks and kinds of masks even well before the pandemic. Now they have even more varieties.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 10:29 PM
link   

S&F for the thread, the time you took to make it and the info.

Unfortunately, common sense seems to not be common at all.

As seen by a person arguing with you about...

Something that is just common sense.

Keep up the good fight!

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The heat is definitely an added risk... Heat is a risk on its own.

I cannot find it now, but I did read one study which specifically addressed miners and carbon dioxide toxicity, because it is a problem, and how masks could be adapted for their specific needs. This is a similar study, noting the same issues, and lack of performance/productivity as a result of wearing masks for prolonged periods:

Respirator masks protect health but impact performance: a review

Although the protective mechanisms of respirators are largely physical and sometimes chemical, wearing respirators come with a host of physiological and psychological burdens. These can interfere with task performances and reduce work efficiency. These burdens can even be severe enough to cause life-threatening conditions if not ameliorated. Quantitative assessments of these burdens have been made so that respirator design trade-offs, wearer usages, and regulations can accommodate the needs of the wearer.

Understanding possible physiological and psychological effects of respirator wear requires a thorough understanding of the wearer and possible respirator effects.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 10:36 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join