It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Face Masks Pose Serious Risks To The Healthy

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: IrisMoonie

I wonder what % of CO2 you are breathing in while wearing masks.

Unless you are feeling a very strong impulse to exhale, not even close to dangerous levels. Our breathing is regulated by CO2 blood levels. If it gets too high, we breath heavier in order to flush it from our blood.
www.normalbreathing.org...

I'm wondering if those news stories I read about "happy hypoxia" are more due to the wearing masks then they are COVID 19
Hypoxia is the result of reduced oxygen levels, not increased CO2 levels. With hypoxia there is no sensation of "suffocation", with excess CO2 there is. If a pilot flying at high altitudes has a problem with their oxygen supply, they simply fall asleep due to hypoxia. They are unaware that there is anything wrong at all.

Of course, if lung congestion is the cause of the hypoxia, the victim is quite aware that there is something wrong.

edit on 5/17/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Hmm... Sounds like prolonged use could pose a serious health risk...

As this study from the article indicates...

"There is a difference between the N95 respirator mask and the surgical mask (cloth or paper mask) in terms of side effects. The N95 mask, which filters out 95% of particles with a median diameter >0.3 µm2 , impairs respiratory exchange (breathing) to a greater degree than a soft mask, and is more often associated with headaches. In one such study, researchers surveyed 212 healthcare workers (47 males and 165 females) asking about presence of headaches with N95 mask use, duration of the headaches, type of headaches and if the person had preexisting headaches.

They found that about a third of the workers developed headaches with use of the mask, most had preexisting headaches that were worsened by the mask wearing, and 60% required pain medications for relief. As to the cause of the headaches, while straps and pressure from the mask could be causative, the bulk of the evidence points toward hypoxia and/or hypercapnia as the cause. That is, a reduction in blood oxygenation (hypoxia) or an elevation in blood C02 (hypercapnia).

While most agree that the N95 mask can cause significant hypoxia and hypercapnia, another study of surgical masks found significant reductions in blood oxygen as well. In this study, researchers examined the blood oxygen levels in 53 surgeons using an oximeter. They measured blood oxygenation before surgery as well as at the end of surgeries. The researchers found that the mask reduced the blood oxygen levels (pa02) significantly. The longer the duration of wearing the mask, the greater the fall in blood oxygen levels."

Wonder what people will be acting like if they keep wearing masks constantly for the next 12 to 18 months?

Don't cover your nose!

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Wonder what people will be acting like if they keep wearing masks constantly for the next 12 to 18 months?
I don't know of anyone who wears a mask 24 hours a day. The longest I've worn mine (cloth) is about 20 minutes in a single day. Once or twice a week.

Don't cover your nose!
If you don't, you are defeating the purpose. Which is to protect others from your exhalations.

I don't suppose you have a link to those studies? I'd like to see them for myself. Blaylock may be less than entirely credible.

What Chemtrails Are Doing To Your Brain – Dr. Russell Blaylock

www.geoengineeringwatch.org...

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 07:24 PM
link   

The studies I copied were from the article linked in the opening post and they seemed to me as stated in a matter of fact. Do you suppose they are fabricated?

I read up a bit on Blaylock just now, and he seems to have taken an interest in "chemtrails" or as a non conspiracy theorist would call them "contrails". Looks like some of what he says is outside consensus.

In spite of the major reduction in airplane travel, I've been seeing, what seems like, just as many contrails as usual. Anyhow, I digress...

Another thing I don't think we mentioned is CO2 displaces oxygen. This is my response to your comment, "Hypoxia is the result of reduced oxygen levels, not increased CO2 levels."

If CO2 is displacing oxygen, is the result of that not the same as reducing oxygen?

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Contrails are not "chemtrails." There is no evidence that "chemtrails" exist. There is plenty of evidence that contrails do.

Do you suppose they are fabricated?

I think statements were made about what the studies found. I find that it can often be instructive to go to the original sources to see what they actually say.

If CO2 is displacing oxygen, is the result of that not the same as reducing oxygen?
Not exactly. Gases mix. More CO2 does not mean less oxygen. It just means a higher concentration of CO2 in an enclosed space.

A person normally exhales, and inhales about half a liter of air with each breath. A mask does not hold half a liter of air. There is a constant exchange between the person and the atmosphere, with each inhalation and each exhalation. Air is forced in and out of the mask. Do you have some reason to think that CO2 would collect in the mask and oxygen wouldn't?

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Although I have access to free masks, I sell them with my job. I have chosen not to wear them out in public, I will not give
into this paranoia the media has created, and a one glove fits all situations mentality. Where I am nobody had it, none of my co-workers or their families or friends. And the hospitals have never been slower, this comes from a nurse and a patient.

In many areas of the world this was no worse than a bad outbreak of an annual flu, the difference being the media propagandized the death count and every person that got it, or was perceived to die from it. For example a stage four cancer patient who was terminal anyways.
I won't shop at a business that forces you to wear a mask right now.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Hypoxia is the result of reduced oxygen levels, not increased CO2 levels.

You may have to draw me a picture here, Phage...

I get that reduced oxygen levels may not necessarily be due to or in combination with increased CO2 levels, but wouldn't increased CO2 levels necessarily decrease oxygen levels?

Or could/would oxygen levels remain constant even with increased CO2 levels?

ETA: I just saw your response to this to the other poster, and color me dense, but I'm still not understanding...
edit on 18-5-2020 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Yes thanks for hammering home a precise quantity of how much air a person needs to breath every couple breaths, 1 liter.

Obviously the mask is not trapping nearly all of it.

But my concern is that some of the air that is trapped in the mask, is exhaled air, and some of the air that is stopped from entering is fresh air.

You would not live long IF forced to breath ONLY your exhaled air somehow.

I wouldn't want to force a grocery store worker to wear a mask for an 8 hour shift 40 hours a week.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

A person normally exhales, and inhales about half a liter of air with each breath. A mask does not hold half a liter of air. There is a constant exchange between the person and the atmosphere, with each inhalation and each exhalation. Air is forced in and out of the mask. Do you have some reason to think that CO2 would collect in the mask and oxygen wouldn't?

I think we are talking about a plastic bag as a mask....

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: IrisMoonie

I wouldn't want to force a grocery store worker to wear a mask for an 8 hour shift 40 hours a week.

What does a medical team do during a long operation that can go 12 hours...Or a painter that wears a mask all day of painting? Gas masks? so on and so forth... Also how long are you in a store 30 mins?

I would think almost none of air you breath in is actually any of the air you breathed out.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Lol, so the customers have to all share the hats from the previous customer? Sounds like a good way to pass a bug!

a reply to: ketsuko

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: Boadicea

In that case, all the Muslim countries where women cover their faces must be in such bad shape. Wait, that isn't happening so I think your quack doctor is full of it. Here is the thing, there are several countries where people regularly wore masks even before covid-19 and there has never been a problem. Now all of a sudden there are people coming out of the woodwork making wild claims about masks making people sick.

First what the women wear in muslem countries is not as restrictive as the masks. It is more like a veil, and does not come up under the chin creating a restrictive mask.

I'll believe the nerosurgeon. One my mom almost passed out at a walmart because of breathing in carbon dioxide, and not getting enough air. Two, I can't breathe with the dang thing on. Three, I have seen pleanty of people put it under their nose, and I believe that is due to not being able to get enough air.

I'm also going by my own experience. I'm sure the military masks, and the ones we are suppose to wear are vastly different.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Mystery_Lady

What does your mother almost passing out from c02 poisoning have to do with wearing a mask? Not even an n95 mask will give you c02 poisoning but it will make you breathe harder which can make you uncomfortable a cloth mask or those flimsy little face masks that just prevent spraying others with particles will not even do that.

As far as military gas masks don't even think about it if you can't even handle n95s. I remember when I first put one on thinking "I sound like Darth Vader."

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 04:32 AM
link   

New York pediatrician's experiment shows her N95 did NOT drive up her CO2 to dangerous levels as social media explodes with claims that 'masks can kill'

video in link: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Most of us have been wearing face masks for several weeks to help prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus as the pandemic rages on. But social media has been exploding with claims that masks reduce the intake of oxygen, forcing people to breathe in high levels of their own carbon dioxide. People claim they feel lightheaded or dizzy, and that breathing in too much carbon dioxide could cause them to suffer from seizures, or even suffocate. But one New York City pediatrician, Dr Rebekah Diamond of Columbia University Medical Center says this is just not true. In her experiment, she shared a picture of her carbon dioxide levels after a day of wearing an N95, which showed the mask did not drive her CO2 up to dangerous levels. DailyMail.com spoke to two respiratory experts who said, plainly, there is no evidence that prolonged face mask use will reduce oxygen levels in the blood - or kill you.

At the end of the day, you have to make your own mind up about masks but I would suggest wearing them in enclosed places.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: CrazeeWorld777

At the end of the day, you have to make your own mind up about masks but I would suggest wearing them in enclosed places.

Worst advice ever.

In an enclosed place there's already less oxygen as it is, now wearing a mask in an already oxygen depleted environment allows for extra accumulation of co2. Co2 is half the size of oxygen and can therefor take up twice as much room.

Just like a breath of fresh air I hope I cleared that up for you.

edit on 21-5-2020 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 05:58 AM
link   
This advice says that people with lung issues may have problems breathing, and wearing masks may make their condition worse:

People with lung conditions should NOT wear face masks if it makes it hard to breathe, experts caution as hot air and tight fit can trigger symptoms

But people who have asthma or illnesses such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or cystic fibrosis may find masks or face coverings make it hard for them to breathe.

Experts say people should wear a mask if they comfortably can, to protect themselves and others around them, but not risk their own health in the process.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Worst advice ever.

In an enclosed place there's already less oxygen as it is, now wearing a mask in an already oxygen depleted environment allows for extra accumulation of co2. Co2 is half the size of oxygen and can therefor take up twice as much room.

Just like a breath of fresh air I hope I cleared that up for you.

I was talking about supermarkets and the like.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I know I was being a clown, it seemed appropriate for this thread.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join