It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Person struck by plane in Austin Texas.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
Well folks,
Nothing yet as to the identification of this male victim yet. I fear that this person is...

1: a homeless person with no friends or family looking for him.
2: an undocumented immigrant that that no one knows is in the U.S. and therefore no one will be looking for.

This victim's identity will possibly not be found.

Patience...

I'm betting he was a guy who worked at the airport and had access, and had long planned a potential suicide.

He watched the Boeing on final and walked out there to be hit by the engine.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   

a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat

He hit the left engine..

Look at the cowling.

I saw that, I just can't understand how he hit the plane and not the other way around. Cuz if I am not mistaken, the damahe is as if he ran full speed into the SIDE of the turbine!? Or dis he hit the front and get thrown into the side of it? Cuz I could only assume he went thru and the damahe on the side is from the violent passage through the turbine which made it buckle.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Yes, the plane hit him and he was probably moving slightly. He hit outboard the cowling and did not go through the engine. Blunt trauma, as they say, for cause of death.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Cuz I could only assume he went thru and the damahe on the side is from the violent passage through the turbine which made it buckle.

I was thinking the same. The side damage must have been done from the inside, buckling the outside.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Seems like a pretty hard thing to do if not intentional.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

If he went through the engine the cowling wouldn't be buckled. And if it did end up buckled, it wouldn't be pushed in like it is. He hit the outside of the cowling.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   

People going through an engine generally don't cause noticeable damage to the cowling. And if the cowling damage was caused from the inside, it would be pushed out, not pulled in.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Personally, looking at the physical damage and what looks like an article of clothing on the outside of the nacelle, as well as what looks like blood (or possibly oil) in the inside, I actually thing it was both. I think part of the body went through the fan, and another part of the body went violently around the outside, slamming off the cowling as it was ripped apart. Basically looks like the cowling bisected the body.

From everything I've seen it sounds like the impact took place right at touchdown or shortly afterwards. If they were applying reverse thrust at the time, those turbines are ingesting a tremendous volume of air. The body might have been pinned on the cowling for a while, slamming off the side more than once, before it came apart. Sounds grisly, I know, but that's what it looks like to me. That would be a pretty violent time to be in close proximity to a high-bypass turbofan engine, lot of air moving in a number different directions.

As Zaphod points out, if he was completely ingested and there was some sort of failure the damage would be outward, not inward, hence my theory.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Something left some odd marks on the bottom inside of the ring cowl. So either he went at least partly through, or was pinned and slammed around the inside of the ring cowl until bloody, and blood left that mark.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Oops.
edit on 5/10/2020 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   
That thing on the side of the cowl is most likely a body part. Human Bodies do weird things at high speed impacts.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Salander

Well folks,
Nothing yet as to the identification of this male victim yet. I fear that this person is...

1: a homeless person with no friends or family looking for him.
2: an undocumented immigrant that that no one knows is in the U.S. and therefore no one will be looking for.

This victim's identity will possibly not be found.

Patience...

I'm betting he was a guy who worked at the airport and had access, and had long planned a potential suicide.

He watched the Boeing on final and walked out there to be hit by the engine.

Law enforcement are saying he was not an employee and gained access by jumping the perimeter fence.

abcnews.go.com...

The man who died was not an employee at the airport and hopped the perimeter fence to gain access to the runway, Austin airport spokesperson Bryce Dubee confirmed to ABC News.

"We are treating it as a security breach," Dubee said. "This is the first time we've had a runway incursion like this. We have had the occasional security breach, but no one has ever gotten onto an active runway at the airport."

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlexandrosTheGreat

He hit the left engine..

Look at the cowling.

I saw that, I just can't understand how he hit the plane and not the other way around. Cuz if I am not mistaken, the damahe is as if he ran full speed into the SIDE of the turbine!? Or dis he hit the front and get thrown into the side of it? Cuz I could only assume he went thru and the damahe on the side is from the violent passage through the turbine which made it buckle.

From the original op..
The Southwest aircraft maneuvered to avoid an individual who became visible on runway

The Southwest aircraft maneuvered to avoid an individual who became visible on runway

Sounds like the guy stood directly in front of the 737 and would have hit the front landing gear. But as the pilot maneuvered to the right and resulted in the man getting slammed into the left engine.

In the op..

The full statement from Southwest is as follows:

Southwest flight #1392 arrived safely this evening at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) after being cleared to land on runway 17R. The Southwest aircraft maneuvered to avoid an individual who became visible on runway 17R shortly after touchdown. The aircraft quickly came to a safe stop, and the Pilots reported the event to local air traffic controllers. After receiving further instructions from controllers, the aircraft taxied to a gate where all Customers and Crew deplaned the aircraft safely with no reports of onboard injuries. Tonight’s flight landed at 8:12 p.m. CDT, after arriving from Dallas Love Field (DAL). Southwest is fully cooperating with local law enforcement and FAA as those agencies investigate the event. We sincerely thank our Crew for their professionalism and swift response. 

ABIA also released a statement.

edit on 10-5-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Oops.

Identity known?

www.avherald.com...

Airport Staff reported the man was a homeless person known to police. A large homeless camp is just outside Austin Airport, in the past there had been similiar encounters when homeless people ended up inside the airport perimeter.

(post by imdfreek removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 11:22 PM
link   

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh
I dont know what just happened but is it not ironic that the person who started this thread had a post removed for thread drift?
As for the poor unfortunate, yet another victim of the 737NG's propensity to ingest the unaware. It definitely looks like they struck the cowl and part of then ended up in the cold stream duct. It almost looks like the engine spat a blade through the left side lower cowl to me.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: 38181
That was an A-6 in the 90's. I came nowhere near the intake. I was just impressed from what I felt and how far away I was.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The only big commercial airport I've seen with truly impressive perimeter security is Boston Logan where the entire airport is fenced off with 15' tall Berlin Wall-style concrete barriers. They also got a lot of federal money to harden security there after that little "9/11" incident.

Meanwhile, I've seen 3000' GA strips with more robust perimeter security than Austin's sad-looking chain link fence.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   
22 year old man identified as victim.

Man hit by airplane, killed on ABIA runway identified by police

www.kxan.com...

Police say 22-year-old Junin Ko was killed on the runway. Ko was pronounced dead at 8:41 p.m. Thursday.

As I posted before, the victim is known by Austin police.
Not sure if this is the correct Junin Ko, but R.I.P. if it's him.

www.austinintoxicated.com...

FIRST NAME: JUNIN
LAST NAME: KO
BOOKING ID: 1921561
CHARGE: 2300-0 PUBLIC INTOXICATION
RECORD ID: 2019-5425
DATE: 7/24/2019

edit on 12-5-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join