It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Person struck by plane in Austin Texas.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Doesn't matter. They'll claim the airport was negligent for not having secure access people can't get through, or a system to warn if someone was on the runway.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Poor guy. What did he know about Hillary?

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

In the 70s, at the brand new ATL airport, there were no fences to the new runways.

My brothers, friends and an old boyfriend would ride out there all the time. It was horrible. Loud. Smelly. Scary.

Sad, sad story for these pilots especially.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Wow, it's like this at KPIT Pittsburgh International Airport. We've had people trespassing too.

Security can't be everywhere all the time.
Weird that cemeteries are next to runways.

I guess you can't wake the dead!

This seems like a potential suicide.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Floridadreamin

Some of my favorite memories are from the runway. We were out there for a reason, and coordinating with the tower at all times though.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Blame everyone except the poor idiot who walks out onto a busy runway...

Personal responsibility. Is that even a thing anymore??

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Long time ago I was one of them. Got some great C-130 pics. Didn't go anywhere near the active. I learned better when used to live at an airport.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Doesn't matter. They'll claim the airport was negligent for not having secure access people can't get through, or a system to warn if someone was on the runway.

Sadly true.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

We had a hangar area for private aircraft that the owners could drive their cars out to the hangar, if they had a permit. Only two issues. One was that the gate was slow as hell to close, so you could easily get two or even three cars in at once. The second was that once you were through the gate, the entire airport was wide open. IIRC at one point the gate broke, so they just left it open and put a minimum wage, unarmed guard next to it to check passes. It's a damn miracle nothing ever happened.

I spent over twenty years operating out of both public and military airports all over the country while flying airtankers and helitankers. We drove right up to our aircraft everyday, even when at military airfields, Hill, Kirkland, McClellan to name a few. Even after security tightened after 911. It’s a privilege you don’t abuse and since we were on government contracts we were allowed an exception. I’ve been retired for six years now, so I don’t know how it works these days, but someone wandering onto an active runway isn’t uncommon, it used to be a lot more common

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Spent a lot of time at the 112th and 171st. But station 100 had benches out back looking at 28 left and center 10C and 10R. But we NEVER crossed the painted lines.

edit on 8-5-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

Long time ago I was one of them. Got some great C-130 pics. Didn't go anywhere near the active. I learned better when used to live at an airport.

For you

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Suicide is my bet. It was dark and tower didn't even know he was there, he waits for approaching airplane and times his jump to runway. A friend of mine flies for SW and talked to one of the pilots. The engine got him not the nosewheel. The crew saw the man closely as they went by.
edit on 8-5-2020 by Salander because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Blame everyone except the poor idiot who walks out onto a busy runway...

Personal responsibility. Is that even a thing anymore??

There are idiots out there. The last thing to go through his mind was a CFM International CFM56....

Do not pass, but Zaph is right about coming lawsuits. Nobody reads the signs.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Salander

Suicide is my bet. It was dark and tower didn't even know he was there, he waits for approaching airplane and times his jump to runway. A friend of mine flies for SW and talked to one of the pilots. The engine got him not the nosewheel. The crew saw the man closely as they went by.

That's what I was explaining. I never said the wheels got him.

edit on 8-5-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Poor guy. What did he know about Hillary?

Hot sauce😑

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Based on the damage to that engine it must have been Superman. Hard to imagine a soft body doing that.

Wonder if they'll mark down the cause of death as COVID-19...

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ColonelCorn

There's a lot of open space under that cowling, and you're talking about very thin aluminum on the side. A bird will do more damage than that to an aircraft.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Not seeing an ID on the victim yet, have you heard anything yet?

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Nothing yet.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Thank you.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join