It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump announces suspension of immigration to 'protect jobs' amid the pandemic

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: seattlerat

Trump already tried shutting down travel. It did nothing in terms of protecting the US from the virus. The statistics show that. It's like it is the only thing he knows, so he tries applying the same thing to every circumstance.

Right now, there are more cases of the virus in the US, than anywhere else in the world.

So, isolating the US in that way protects other countries from the US, far more than it protects the US from them.

And the US economy has already taken the hit.

Shutting out the world shuts out that source of revenue. The boom years after WWII were prompted by Lend-Lease deals that made America rich on the money of other countries recovering from a war they'd spent all their resources fighting. The US was late to the piece and wasn't itself war-torn at all.

There will be no income from overseas if you cut it. So, the US will have to do everything for itself, with a dollar that no longer means anything internationally.

Trump tried to shut down travel. Democrats disagreed with that decision.

Look at it per capita and you will see you are incorrect.
But if we agree with your premise we should agree to limit travel into the country by foreign nationals?

Re introducing manufacturing into the USA negates your supposition.

I'm sure you are concerned with the dollar meaning nothing internationally. Basically it puts your GDP belly up, but does nothing to hurt the USA.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

To be fair, I'm sure he has great concern about the US dollar internationally, as anyone would from a 3rd rate nation. It's the backbone of the world economy, if the US falters, their entire economy becomes wiped out overnight.

In a way, same with china(or russia and the UK). These are the major cornerstone players of the world economy, they "ping" off one another. Once one falters, the others retract and that will send devastating ripples through the third world(like NZ/Aus).
edit on 21-4-2020 by ZapBrannigan3030 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Makes sense as a temporary measure, maybe six months. It has to stop all immigration from all countries though. I think when things start to get better., they can look at it again to determine how to adjust it or eliminate the ban.

Exactly, as long as the virus is rampant we should allow zero immigration for the safety and protection of the immigrants. We must think of their lives, we must not risk the lives of immigrants by exposing them to US citizens who carry such a wretched disease that they must never be within 6 feet of one. Think of their lives! Think of their safety! We must protect them!

We can allow them back in 2 weeks, nah the virus is still rampant 2 more weeks, nope the virus is still around 2 more weeks, nope not until there is a vaccine and the immigrants will be safe, let's see that's 2 years.

If you allow immigrants to come into contact with the so deeply disease ridden US population, then you are no better than a murderer. We must protect them from US citizens who are so dangerous that even they can not be within 6 feet of each other. Think of the lives of the immigrants, please.

edit on 4/21/20 by The2Billies because: addition

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Unfortunately I believe you are correct.

Citizens can’t leave their homes but immigrants can move into the country.

To logical thinkers that is a contradiction. But the news knows their base are emotional thinkers so they simply won’t see the contradiction.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 01:33 AM
link   

What's the over/under on this "...including HIB visas?"
edit on 21-4-2020 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 02:47 AM
link   

I think it would be smarter if every country in the world banned Americans from entering other countries.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ZapBrannigan3030

Australia is a third world country? News to me...

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 05:01 AM
link   
There was a comment yesterday by a Wuhan lab worker. They said to the press the virus did not start at their lab. They even took it a step further and said they would swear their life on it.

I would like to ask that lab worker a follow up question. Would they swear their life the Chinese government is not covering up any information. They took info down about the lab. They kicked reporters out. People in China speaking out in opposition have either vanished or died.

It made me think of something though in regards to the banning of immigrants. Let's have politicians state they would swear their life that allowing in more immigrants will have no negative impact on the spread of the virus. No immigrant will die of it or even get infected. If they are willing to do that then I am all for business as usual.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 05:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
a reply to: Lumenari

That was the entire point. Put them in a perpetual hades where they have to bash him for the virus response but have to try to equally defend a practice that makes the threat of the virus even worse. He's putting it all on the shoulders of governors either way and they can't defend both at the same time.

You are forgetting that the average IQ of an American right now is 89 and 28% of them vote Democrat.

And they watch CNN.

The Democratic leadership doesn't give a crap about their hypocrisy.

Hell, to them it's a super power.

It allows them to get away with things that you otherwise can't get away with in a polite society.

You think this will backfire on them.

I think it will get them more voters in November.

Democrats think the glass is half full.

Republicans think that the glass is half empty.

Why is it up to me to remind everyone that it's half full of piss?

Biggest reason the average IQ of Americans is 89?
We encourage really really dumb people to immigrate here by not having our borders secured

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I wonder if people are going to be allowed to come over and pick crops?

That's hard work and unless they are going to pay a very high wage, they are going to have a hard time finding replacements.
So look for food shortages and higher prices if that's the case.

On the other side, our IT infrastructure is as risk too. So many jobs and projects use outsourced or foreign labor.
Yes, this could eventually be replaced by American workers with the right training but that would take a year or two.

There's a huge national security risk from being dependent on non-American workers.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: oloufo

I think it would be smarter if every country in the world banned Americans from entering other countries.

Lol, that mad about this?

We still have lockdowns, approaching 20 million unemployed... And you're ticked about our immigration policy?

What would they do if they got here?

And last I checked, I can't just hop on a plane and go wherever I want in the world right now.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I don't see a problem here.

Foreign Nationals do not mean more than the US citizen within the US.

I would love to hear the counter argument for this. I suspect there will be a couple based statements of "racist", "heartless" and "zionist".

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2

On the other side, our IT infrastructure is as risk too. So many jobs and projects use outsourced or foreign labor.
Yes, this could eventually be replaced by American workers with the right training but that would take a year or two.

There's a huge national security risk from being dependent on non-American workers.

Look at Boeing and the debacle of the 737. The reason why the plane had such issues is due to Boeing outsourcing the engineering to India for the software. They cut corners, had people working on it that were not qualified and so on.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I am fine with an immigration stop.

He may want to make some exceptions though or he is likely to destroy any chance of reelection for himself. I say that because about 30% of doctors and 24% of nurses in the US are immigrants.

In the middle of a pandemic, I don't think he could spin that in his favor.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: oloufo

Germany had a ban on Americans entering the country in 1944-45, we're still there.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   

We can’t even keep our own jobs... even though the hospitals are “overwhelmed” www.bridgemi.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Democrat logic.

We all must stay inside our houses and not even go to work to earn money to pay for groceries to stop the virus.

But we also have to let everyone come into our country who wants to come.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
a reply to: ColoradoJens

Thank you for proving my point with your post.

Your point was you made up a bunch of stuff?

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Daughter2

Your not lying. I had 30 projects last year, I had 4 american citizens, and 30 indians. the rate of pay for the 30 indians was less then the cost of the 4 americans. They produced mediocre code, but with shear numbers they got it done quickly. half of it wound up having to be recoded, but the reality is, even with recoding, they still out produced the 4 americans. Due to that situation, I am extremely against offshoring. I now have 8 people, 4 staff, 4 contractors here in the US. While, I'd rather bring everything in house, I understand that that can be cost prohibitive. I'll settle for this, even if its not what I want. Regarding the topic. H1B visas are killing the IT market. Degrading wages, and increasing work load. I have yet to meet a H1B or ofshore that is worth the money we pay. I'd literally rather hire a college stuff for $15 and train them up.

Camain

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: camain

They are turned out in droves in India by attending the "boot camps", which really are teaching people to pass the test.
Network engineering has had a huge influx of the paper tiger cert people. I have yet to meet anyone from India that had Cisco certs that had half the understanding that the cert should provide.

Same with SQL, JAVA and most others.

The new place to look is Croatia. 8x8, a SaaS company in the contact center space, has let go all of their configuration people state side and moved it over there. While cheaper, I am told by people there that the end result still isn't up to the same level as the state side groups were.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join