It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this true about New York paramedics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 07:35 AM
link   
This was on TV today with some New York paramedics stating that they do NOT have health insurance. Why didn't the Corona Virus bill cover their health insurance. Yes, it is true about the 25 million going to the arts center because someone has to wash the windows. You know, can't have dirty widows now that it is closed.
If this really is true... this simply is CRAZY

Can you guys find out about it?

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

No link?

I've never heard of a municipal department that didn't have insurance and all the other standard benefits.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 07:40 AM
link   
You'd be surprised how many people aren't provided health insurance despite being in the health care industry. As a home health aide I find it absurd that we don't. I'm not the least bit surprised about the paramedics. Health Insurance, especially that which is worth a damn is only for the privileged few. It's not even there for many of the people responsible for the care health insurance provides, why would we need to keep them healthy and able to work...

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 07:56 AM
link   

to little information

who are they working for ?

why did they sign up for a job that doesnt have health insurance as a perk ?

are they really " paramedics " ?

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Sorry it was on Japanese tv this morning.
I looked for links backing it up, but I did find out that it just maybe true. Paramedics bill the passengers directly. I didn't know that, did you?

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I got great cheap healthcare in the US when I was poor. Many able body poor can get it but they scoff at joining the reserves for one weekend a month.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I believe Obamacare in its current form offers available coverage for everyone, something doesn’t seem right about this claim.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: choomsuba

Sure it offers coverage, but if you make a certain amount it’s crazy expensive for having deductibles you will never meet. So basically you pay a few hundred dollars a month, just to pay for everything anyways and get cheaper prescriptions and a yearly checkup. Terrible program in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I understand the process, I have lots of expensive deductible bills piling up.

So this is true for everyone in the country, not just New York paramedics,

a reply to: Middleoftheroad

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I’d assume they are offered insurance through the company and probably denied it or they’re contractors which I believe have different standards for health insurance. But I’m no expert on Obamacare, so verify the contractor part. I just have experience paying for it and realizing it was worthless when it was time to be used, so now I deny it and put the money I’d spend in a savings account and hope for the best.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
You'd be surprised how many people aren't provided health insurance despite being in the health care industry. As a home health aide I find it absurd that we don't. I'm not the least bit surprised about the paramedics. Health Insurance, especially that which is worth a damn is only for the privileged few. It's not even there for many of the people responsible for the care health insurance provides, why would we need to keep them healthy and able to work...

I don’t disagree with the bulk of your post, I just want to point out that at my company, we all have EXCELLENT health and life insurance, even the janitorial. Because of that, I can’t agree that great coverage is only available to a privileged few. My staff is made up of 3 immigrants who barely speak English and they’ve got the same coverage I do. It’s up to your employer to provide you with good coverage and up to the people to seek out an employer that will pay them what they are worth.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Unionized nationwide.....we do have benefits

EMT

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 10:55 AM
link   
If they are subcontracting out to companies to run the paramedics, this might be true. Usually the government gives health insurance after maybe ninety days of being on the job. Maybe they have an increase in new paramedics and they have not met their probationary requirements yet? Usually anyone working directly for a hospital has health coverage after they have been there a while too.

Also, volunteers may not be covered for health insurance since they lost their regular work their employers may not be able to cover them because of policy requirements, most people will not have the money to span the gap in coverage when they are laid off so no insurance.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

Sure it offers coverage, but if you make a certain amount it’s crazy expensive for having deductibles you will never meet. So basically you pay a few hundred dollars a month, just to pay for everything anyways and get cheaper prescriptions and a yearly checkup. Terrible program in my opinion.

That's the problem, the people who designed it were more concerned with getting people "covered" on paper, regardless of whether they really had access to quality healthcare.

But, you know, CNN said it was great.
edit on 8 4 20 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I should read your insurance policies as there could be a couple of get out clauses. One of these is if you are injured or harmed as a result of war. I'll give you a guess at what the other is. Oh, oh it's a pandemic.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Ahem...

You don't need health insurance to achieve health. It is only good for times when you have serious injury. Modern medicine simply doesn't work for chronic health conditions - maybe you've noticed?

If the government not only got out of the way, but started researching natural health in a serious, unbiased manner, and mandated that health insurance providers had to provide policy options for paying for natural health treatments, the system would actually work, and costs would go down to basically nothing (as compared to now).

All I want/need is a policy that covers emergencies - trauma/accidents, etc. I don't want or need insurance to cover normal routine health maintenance.

Then, our modern system could focus on where it shines - emergency/trauma treatment.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

You don't need health insurance to achieve health. It is only good for times when you have serious injury. Modern medicine simply doesn't work for chronic health conditions - maybe you've noticed?

My asthma control medication would beg to differ. It controls my asthma so I can live a more or less normal life, whereas with it, I'd be very limited in what kind of physical activity I could do.

There are numerous elective surgeries available that help people with any number of problems that drastically improve their quality of life.

I'm a big believer in natural medicine as well, but the claim that modern medicine isn't good for anything but emergencies is bogus.

top topics

join