It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Demand help for truckers delivering supplies, they are having trouble getting food on the road

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Write emails to the authorities shutting down restaurants.

There is a problem for truckers now. With "drive thru only" in effect, many places won't allow truckers to drive through (too big) or to walk up to the windows. They are having issues with finding a place that they can get food. It has become such an issue that police are trying to help in some states.

I email my representatives and even the President regularly when I have a concern or thought. Sure it is flunkies that read them, I get that. But once the same issue/thought reaches a critical mass (normally 500) they will take notice and think about taking action.

Instead of griping and hating on the people who vote differently than you and blaming them. Why not do something positive? Why not spend your email energy doing something worthwhile and positive?

The truckers are super super busy right now resupplying US. We need to help them be able to keep doing it.

... one of the problems the couple is running into is finding food on the road because a lot of the chain stores won't let drivers walk up to the drive-thru windows. However, according to Ed, a lot of "mom and pop" local restaurants are putting up signs saying, "you are welcome to walk up and call us ahead of time and we'll even bring the food to your truck." "There are several police departments throughout several states that are helping truck drivers find safe places to park, restroom facilities, and they're even taking the driver to get food or bringing food to them," Tracy chimed in. "So that's really nice that the community is really stepping up to help the truck drivers."

www.foxnews.com...

Not all communities are aware, and authorities need to be aware of these critical to our nation problems.

Truckers are the backbone of our supply chain.

I just sent an email to my state governor recommending she put out the following emergency orders: Truckers whose trucks are too big to go through drive thru's are to be allowed to park where restaurant employees can see their truck, and allowed to walk thru the drive thru windows while the crises lasts.

edit on 3/20/20 by The2Billies because: better title added last paragraph

edit on 3/20/20 by The2Billies because: same fixed title to read well

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Pennsylvania had shut down the service plazas on the PA Turnpike (toll road) completely. Since getting negative input from truckers over that ill-advised move, they have reopened them for credit card sales of fuel and installed Porta-Potties for use in the plaza parking areas.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I work part time as a cook at a local bar and grill. We can't serve alcohol in the bar for now or have dine in, but we can sell carry out beer and food. There is a large truck stop on the edge of town where they have plenty of room to park and all they have to do is call in their order.
We deliver and if you're over 60 or disabled, we deliver for free.

Times are getting tough and we're doing all we can to make it a little easier.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This is a big problem. Truckers cannot drive their trucks just anywhere, they could cause accidents. I think that truckstops should be partially exempt from standard rules because if drivers get hypoglycemic, it could cause judgement problems. Also, it gives the truckers the oportunity to get out and stretch and go to the bathroom. I have known truckers over the years, they tend to follow habit patterns and adjust their rides to get to certain restaurants and choose those restaurants based on time they have spent on the road.

Locals do use truckstops, I used to go to some because they had great homestyle cooking at them.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   
They could try maybe packing their food with them? I mean call me stupid but everytime I took a month long vacation to go to the woods that is what I did.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Pennsylvania had shut down the service plazas on the PA Turnpike (toll road) completely. Since getting negative input from truckers over that ill-advised move, they have reopened them for credit card sales of fuel and installed Porta-Potties for use in the plaza parking areas.

I am surprised Wolf didn't screw it up worse than he did.
He already has a law firm ready to go after him for violating the Constitution and State Constitution.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

It might also be helpful to contact the Chamber of Commerce -- both the national US Chamber of Commerce and the local branch. Also the National Restaurant Association.

Both might be able to fix this before government critters can -- and probably much more efficiently and effectively.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

It might also be helpful to contact the Chamber of Commerce -- both the national US Chamber of Commerce and the local branch. Also the National Restaurant Association.

Both might be able to fix this before government critters can -- and probably much more efficiently and effectively.

THANK YOU! Great IDEA! May I copy your first sentence to repost elsewhere?

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Where I'm at, the grocery stores have started making meals and care packages for the truckers dropping off supplies.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Of course!!!

Knowledge not shared is knowledge wasted.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oathkeeper73
They could try maybe packing their food with them? I mean call me stupid but everytime I took a month long vacation to go to the woods that is what I did.

I think some if not many long haul are going 24/7 and don't have time to pack a month's worth of food in advance, especially fresher foods. How are they going to cook on the road? How are they going to keep things cold on the road?

I hope some truckers address this question of yours that is logical for most people.

My son-in-law works for a fantastic waste company who take better care of their employees than any other company for regular workers (not tech) than any company I have ever seen. This company is so good to its employees that my son-in-law (in the software division) has been tempted by getting a better paying job elsewhere, but won't because he loves the company and how great the corporate culture is to all the employees.(Waste Connections)
After the last huge hurricane in Houston that flooded the city, their truckers were working non-stop picking up debris. The company realized they didn't have time to worry about fixing themselves food because they were so tired working around the clock. So every time they came into dump a load, a meal was waiting for them in a bag to take back out with them. No ordinary take out meal, a great meal, made by a primo restaurant.
The point here is we ALL need to appreciate the hard workers who are the backbone of society, truckers etc., and take care of them while they take care of us.

edit on 3/20/20 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I drive up to about a week ago. Told my Boss I
was go'n home for family reasons. He handed me my
check and I'm glad I'm not out there. Never was worth it.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   

P.S. My son manages a few restaurants. They have just moved to curbside service only. I passed this along to him and suggested he find a way to accommodate truckers. One of his stores is literally right off a major freeway, with a HUGE parking lot that might be perfect for this.

He's a bright guy. If he can, he'll make it happen.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Time to roll out that self driving truck fleet elon!

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Have we confirmed anywhere that walk up truck drivers were denied service at a drive thru?

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Did you read the linked article?

Nearly every single drive thru refuses walk up's for insurance and safety reasons.

Call all your local restaurants with drive thru's and ask if they allow walk up's. They will all say no or not before the virus.

Some cities actually don't allow it by law.

Most don't allow it for insurance reasons, they don't want to be liable for people running over walk thru's.

Following the closure of dine-in services at many fast-food restaurants amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the Palmdale Sheriff’s Station in California issued a plea on Facebook asking anyone who can to assist truck drivers who are unable to purchase food at a drive-thru due to the size of their vehicles.

Most places do not allow walk ups in the drive thru. Therefore, these truck drivers have no other way of getting a meal. These drivers are the ones driving across the state/country to make sure your stores are stock, and the restaurants have food. The least we can do is buy them a meal to show our appreciation!

www.fox5atlanta.com...

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC) - Truck drivers are having a difficult time after orders passed down from state and county health departments are making it harder for them to get meals and other necessities.
Hard because you can’t drive a truck in a drive-thru and most restaurants now won’t allow people to walk up to get food. Jim Smith drove an 18-wheeler for over 20 years and has a suggestion.

www.wbrc.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Jimmy Hoffa wouldn’t of wanted robot trucks

I’m going to talk with corporate at Costco to accommodate them with rest room and food possibly. I know of many that are located off the main freeways.

Also have a couple friends in MDOT so I’ll see what they are doing here in Michigan.

Be back soon with more info

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeektoUnderstand
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Jimmy Hoffa wouldn’t of wanted robot trucks

I’m going to talk with corporate at Costco to accommodate them with rest room and food possibly. I know of many that are located off the main freeways.

Also have a couple friends in MDOT so I’ll see what they are doing here in Michigan.

Be back soon with more info

THANK YOU!!

WONDERFUL!!

You are the second ATS member to actually put feet on the issue and try to do something concrete - something positive - and to help your fellow citizens!

GO ATS MEMBERS for responding mainly with positive suggestions, remarks and actually helping!
Rather than being negative Nancy's who drag us all down.

edit on 3/20/20 by The2Billies because: format

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Oathkeeper73

We do. But unlike a "normal" person, we have 10 hours to get showered, do laundry, cook food, clean the truck, and sleep, before we're back rolling. And believe me, after 10+ hours driving, there are days when the last thing you want to do is spend an hour cooking (the lunchbox cover we have for canned food takes 45-60 minutes to get it hot).

That's for a solo driver, under normal regulation. For a team truck, one driver stops and the other starts. The last thing you want to be doing is cooking while going down the road. There are roads we normally drive that we can't even keep the cabinets closed because what's in them is getting thrown around so badly.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Yes, in multiple places. People seeing it have gone back through for drivers in several cases.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join