It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake in Magna, UT. 5.7

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Just experienced the largest earthquake, by far, of my life. Magnitude 5.7 in Magna, Utah - within 10 miles of me as the crow flies.

Lots of broken knick knacks, whole house shook.. My kids are home right now because of Covid-19. I ran up the stairs to get them out of bed and by the time I got back downstairs it was over.

Felt another small aftershock a few moments later.

Diseases and earthquakes - this is all a little too Old Testament for me.

Anyone else feel this?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

edit on 18-3-2020 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

That sounds scary!

But, diseases and earthquakes are a constant.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   

oh yeah. I'm out here in Salt Lake.

I lived through a lot of the California quakes but never felt anything like that in Utah.

It lasted about 30 seconds out here which seems like a long time during an earthquake.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

Hey neighbor, I'm on the SE side of Tooele near Settlement Canyon. Same here - it was a prolonged shake with several strong jolts. This is the biggest for me.

Took me out of "groggy" and right into "fully aware." I rushed up the stairs to get my sleeping daughter in about 2.5 seconds.

I wonder how it impacted the copper mine - several years ago we had some slight tremors and that thing basically collapsed. I hope everyone working up there is ok.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:46 AM
link   

oh nice im glad you're ok!

Got me out of bed quick too. I just had ACL surgery so it took me a while to get ready.

By the time i got out of my room my roomates were all out and i had 10 texts from my employees saying its the end of the world.

Good times

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Interesting times!

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Just had my flight redirect from Salt Lake airport due to aftershocks and a water line break. Stay safe out there guys.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 10:06 AM
link   
What the hey-hey? All the after shocks are all located in the same area? Is this a mining accident, or something else? I mean if it was a fault line, then shouldn't there be at least some fault line travel?

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irikash
Just had my flight redirect from Salt Lake airport due to aftershocks and a water line break. Stay safe out there guys.

Airport is closed down here. FAA tower is damaged and has been evacuated.

Co-worker is in downtown SLC and sent this photo of the big Zion's Bank building..

imgur.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   
My wife works in the hospital system and they are getting FEMA warnings that another earthquake is possible today, possibly much stronger than the first.

The instruction they gave was to make sure that if we have an emergency kit that it was in the car and ready to go. Cars should be parked outside of garages. Etc, etc, etc.

Fun times!

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Probably a steel frame behind that. Odds are the brick is just decorative. They'll have it evaluated, I'm Still a mess. Not trying to make light of the situation. Quite a jolt. I guess they are doing structural eval of the tower at the airport. Burst pipes and other such damage is to be expected, too.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I just talked to my brother
He lives near Ogden.

He said it didn't even know the dust off the shelves.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Last heard they are relocating to the old tower. With the FEMA response though, might be a bit befor e they reopen

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Live in Boise, didn't feel anything and the shake map indicates that we shouldn't have.

I can hardly wait that many people will see this as a sign from god given the population..

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: mzinga

Funny you say that, as Boise is where we were redirected
edit on 18-3-2020 by Irikash because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   
My daughter in Riverton got a good shake, but nothing broken or falling. My son-in-law was at work in West Valley. He said they had swinging lights, dust coming off the girdirs of their steel building, and things falling off of their shelves.

Here in central Utah Valley, we definitely felt it, but nothing more than "Was that an earthquake?"

May you live in interesting times??

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Irikash

Not a bad place to get redirected too, airport relatively small compared to SLC and not a ton of people
Must be flying delta

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   
.... power (and wifi) just came back on.

i live right next to the airport in SLC.

i have been through earthquakes in California and a big one in Tacoma, WA. but what i felt this morning would have sworn that a couple of bombs went off directly underneath me..... and then a bit of rocking.

plenty of aftershocks and i am not convinced that we will not get something bigger.

and, like OP, this is way too biblical for my liking.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I just talked to my brother
He lives near Ogden.

He said it didn't even know the dust off the shelves.

Ogden is pretty far from here. There are images coming in from Magna, West Valley City, Lakepoint, and surrounding areas of houses in disarray after everything fell off the walls, off the counters, off the shelves..

We had wine glass fall over in the cabinet, some fancy candle holders I brought back from Sweden, and a decorative vase that my wife has has since before I met her fall and break.

There have been around 26 individual earthquake events here today.
edit on 18-3-2020 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I used goggle maps just out of curiosity and he lives 70 miles from magna in brigham city.

Not sure if that's close or far in earthquake terms.

<<   2 >>

join