It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Spain: Muslims Issue Fatwa Against Bin Laden

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Great post Fred

it is so nice when something happens that almost EVERYONE at ATS can get behind and applaud...

I agree that it seems to have taken an awful lot to make this happen, but better late than never...

someone asked why American Muslims didn't do the same thing...
they did in some ways... but not by an official edict of Fatwa...

This increases my respect for the islamic religion... it is less hypocritical than i would have thought... Nice to know the laws of Islam aren't all double standards.

Now if we can just keep the western leaders from politicizing this, to prevent alienating the moderates... kid gloves people... kid gloves...

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I will be interesting to see what other muslims in the world follow this example. I'd love to see a larger break and denouncement of radical terrorist supporting muslims. I think we did see quite a bit of this following 911 in the US. Muslims on tv explaining to the people the differences between the ideals of true muslims and those of the fanatics.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Wow, there sure has not been the discussion I expected on this post, where are the ATS Muslim members willing to stand with their Spanish Brethren?

Where are the American ATS Muslims?

The UK's?

hmmmmmm

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I agree with edsinger, I would have thought a major move like this would have brought many, many exponents of many sides of this issue.

Strange- but nonetheless, hoorah for the world!

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
There hasnt been a huge response because it doesnt really mean much past a shift in Spain's muslim leaders attitudes. A fatwa will not result in Osama Bin Ladens death, period.

All it does is show that Spanish Muslim leaders are voicing their opinion and probably trying to deflect any retribution aimed at them after the Madrid bombings.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Well I still wonder about the silence in the Muslim world to this very important news.....You mean it doesn't make you wonder at all?

I have not seen any Muslim remarks in this thread either.....odd.

hmmm now we have a conspiracy don't we?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Ed raises an interesting point. At the very least you would have expected a negative reaction from those who the fatwa targeted

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Maybe they are waiting for a more relevant fatwa for thier denomination. Just throwing out a suggestion.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sep

Originally posted by mwm1331
Now if we can get other muslim groups worldwde to issue fatwah against OBL, zarqauwi zawahiri etc. It would be a great Moral boost for the US's war against terror.

I think the more important thing is that it is a moral boost for more moderate Muslims. This shouldnt be used politically by Western powers because it would alienate the moderates.

Sep if using this to step up pressure against extreme elements ofeends somene then they aint moderate.
The only people who could be upset by it are extremists.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Well, that sounds wonderful if they don't change their minds. Great article
Can I say one thing.I thought I was button happy ...but you beat me Clicky!

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I dont find it strange at all.

Ive lived in Australia and Britain since 9/11 and ive seen the reactions of both the British Muslim community and the Australian Muslims. They all condemned the terrorist attacks and publically claimed they have no basis in Islam whatsoever.

Plus a Fatwa is calling for someones death. However hated Osama Bin Laden is, a religion trying to distance itself from extremism and killing is going to be loathed to issue a death warrant.

We dont see the Pope or Rabbis calling for the death of individuals and if they did there would rightly be an uproar.

The muslims, in Britain and Australia atleast, have already clarified their positions: they abhor terrorism and they believe it has no basis in the Koran

George W. Bush and Tony Blair have killed more innocent people (in Afghanistan and Iraq alone) than Osama has but we dont see the Pope calling for their deaths.

[edit on 14/3/05 by subz]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz

George W. Bush and Tony Blair have killed more innocent people (in Afghanistan and Iraq alone) than Osama has but we dont see the Pope calling for their deaths.

This is just another attempt of hijacking a thread with Anti-American sentiment. The fact that Bush and Blair are in these two countries is a direct result of Ben Laden's terrorist acts. And where do you get off with a statement like this? Bush and Blair are not responsible for more innocent deaths than Bin laden. This is total absurdity! If you are going to make such claims then reinforce it with facts! Don't throw out irrevelant ranting
for your own agenda!

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
where are the ATS Muslim members willing to stand with their Spanish Brethren?Where are the American ATS Muslims?
The UK's?

There are like three muslims on this entire board. I think maybe one of them is broadly supportive of the terrorists. The other two tend to say 'duh, we are against wanton murder'.

Well I still wonder about the silence in the Muslim world

So its not enough that they issue a huge legalistic and religious declaration against bin laden? Yesh, no wonder they aren't clamouring to be everyone's lapdog.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   

This is one of many signs highlighting the growing chasm between moderate and radical Islam. No doubt the timing is set to coincide with the Madrid train bombings, and I applaud the clerics for taking this step.

Yeah, this almost makes people forget that Spains cowardice in capitulating to terrorist beheadings in Iraq led to a further employment of the tactic....almost....I remember....

Still, it's a good start, and yes, others should follow suit....

[edit on 14-3-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Yorga, I never hijacked this thread as it pertained to a reason why Muslims shouldnt have to issue fatwas. If the Pope and the Archbishop of Canterbury dont have to issue death warrants in the case of Bush and Blair then neither should the Worlds Muslim leaders.

Nearly 3,800 Afghans (civilians) died between 7 October and 7 December (2001)

Source: BBC News

Between 16,000 and 18,500 Iraqi civilians killed by Coalition forces to date, still rising.
Source www.iraqbodycount.net

Conservatively you can estimate that 20,000 innocent civilians have lost their lives directly due to US and UK military intervention in these two countries. These orders came directly from Bush and Blair.

The final death toll from the 9/11 attacks was 2,986.
9/11 Death Toll

Correct me if Im wrong but there are the facts that Bush and Blair are responsible for nearly 10x the amount of innocent civilian deaths than what Osama Bin Laden is.

I dont care what the motivations of these individuals are so dont start an argument about it, I wont reply. Im sure the dead dont give a rats backside about motives.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
this is great but i have to agree with yorga what took so freakin long?????

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
See that is the turdblossom mentality at work, claim the Bush and Blair have killed more than Bin Ladin. It MISSES the point people. Bush did not fly that S-3 into a mosque nor did he order the deliberate killing of civilians.

You Anti-American hate mongers will never get it, but the question that I asked of course was only tapped around but never answered.

Let me put it more plainly for those 'reality' challenged folks out there.

With the innocent killing of CIVILIAN by deliberate means ordered by Osama, why does the Muslim world not speak out openly against this purely anti-Islamic deed?

It takes a country who already capitulated to the terrorists and the Muslims within it to come out an publicly make this stand.

Where are there American , UK, French, and whatever other Muslim land you care to throw in, brethren? Why the silence? Why? Because it is condoned in my eyes and unless I hear different this just make the case even more plain.

I commend the Spanish Mullahs. It was a brave thing to do but it fell upon a deaf Muslim world.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Personally, I think many of these radical Muslims are not what they appear.

Maybe they are just government employees fishing?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
I commend the Spanish Mullahs. It was a brave thing to do but it fell upon a deaf Muslim world.

How is ordering a death warrant a brave thing to do? It was unnecessary as world wide muslim condemnation has been heard. Now we see a large muslim community baying for the death of Bin Laden.

Its playing into the hands of those that want to discredit Muslims. How would the World react if the Pope called for the death of some one? Would it be acceptable? Would it contradict the Bible? Why should Muslims have to do this just to prove that they are not "with Bin Laden".

Crazy

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Yeah, this almost makes people forget that Spains cowardice in capitulating to terrorist beheadings in Iraq led to a further employment of the tactic

Apparently the spanish musilms aren't cowards, just the regular spanish..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join