It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX META Thread

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Agree with 100% of ur post...
Like I said, it’s my opinion...not a data driven one...just a feeling

I suppose it stems from the days when space travel was awarded 2% of our gdp...
Now it’s relegated to back burner status...

Musk and SpaceX may be able to do all they’ve promised...but I will have to see it once before I get on board..

I’ll be happy to be wrong...though I will always reflexively defend the historical achievements of NASA...

IMHO th3 e greatest feats in human history were:
1) Control of fire
2) Splitting of the atom
3) Landing on the moon

My daughter will be more exposed at school to the anti-war hippie movement of 1969 than the moon landing...
This is the way of things...
But I digress...and hope for America to regain dominion in the heavens..

-Chris

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Static fire complete. Dry run tomorrow, launch review Monday. Target is 1633 May 27.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
Do you know anything about Von Braun’s goals?
You are a walking embodiment of the internet: knowing absolutely nothing of history yet spouting off [outrageously] stupid statements with the confidence of someone who is an expert in the field.
It’s alarming how little you know compared with how much you think you know...
But this is the world and I chose to express an opinion on a website...so maybe I’m the obtuse one...no, it’s you
-Chris

Ignoring your diatribe about someone you don’t know at all -

Wernher von Braun was a man of opposites. He was a brilliant engineer and a pioneer in his field. He was also the embodiment of a ruthless scientist who didn’t care who would benefit from his work.

He briefly joined the SS in 1933 as a student, the NSDAP in 1937, and again the SS in 1940 with the expressed purpose of it benefiting his work.
As the technical director of the Heeresversuchsanstalt Peenemünde he continued to develop the Aggregat rocket series he started in 1933. The fourth iteration, Aggregat 4 is today known as the V-2 rocket. Von Braun is not responsible for the use of this weapon during wartime, but he certainly has to be criticized for his utter lack of interest in the treatment of the slave labor used to build his rockets.
It’s likely von Braun didn’t particularly approve of the conditions in the concentration camps he visited to collect workers, he simply didn’t care. Not that the conditions in his rocket factories were much better.

The final tally of this, how you put it, 'intellectual behemoth of unparalleled brilliance' is an estimated 8.000 military and civilian dead on one hand and at between 16.000 and 20.000 dead slave laborers in the rocket factories on the other.
The German political scientist Rainer Eisfeld who wrote a great von Braun conduct in Nazi Germany called Mondsüchtig (Moonstruck, unfortunately not available in English) put it this way:

‘The enthusiasm about the moon landing shouldn’t make us forget the suffering that occurred on earth to make it happen.’

It’s ok to revere von Braun the scientist. Just don’t ignore what he was willing to ignore to fulfill his dreams.

edit on 23-5-2020 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Static fire complete. Dry run tomorrow, launch review Monday. Target is 1633 May 27.

This is exciting.

It reminds me of the early days of space travel and the Apollo missions.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 07:53 AM
link   

a reply to: mightmight

You don't seem to grasp what is happening at the moment. For the first time in history, we are actually bending metal with the expressed purpose of settling another planet.

..so maybe I’m the obtuse one...no, it’s you

-Chris

Its not mate, its definitely you.

Look at how many years and how many billions to achieve what NASA did.
Look at how many billions and how many years it took Russia (without your hero Von Braun) to achieve what they have

Now you see you are not really comparing like for like and its an unfair comparison.

Not sure why you are so angry, perhaps unfairly articulate about NASA, it served its purpose over the years, so did the mines, the railways, the aircraft industry...all once government owned, now privatized, who are you going to blame? Laker, Branson??

Its the way it goes.

America is once again going back to the stars, Russia has been ferrying people to the ISS and previously Soyuz for decades but never got near the moon, and AFAIK doesnt have plans and cannot afford it anyway.

America is the only one with a valid route to the Moon and (gasp) Mars.

And yet you are obtuse.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   

They're estimating only 40% go for launch due to weather, so they're is a significant chance it will be delayed. Next launch date would be Saturday.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: mightmight

Do you know anything about Von Braun’s goals?
You are a walking embodiment of the internet: knowing absolutely nothing of history yet spouting off [outrageously] stupid statements with the confidence of someone who is an expert in the field.
It’s alarming how little you know compared with how much you think you know...
But this is the world and I chose to express an opinion on a website...so maybe I’m the obtuse one...no, it’s you
-Chris

Ignoring your diatribe about someone you don’t know at all -

Wernher von Braun was a man of opposites. He was a brilliant engineer and a pioneer in his field. He was also the embodiment of a ruthless scientist who didn’t care who would benefit from his work.

He briefly joined the SS in 1933 as a student, the NSDAP in 1937, and again the SS in 1940 with the expressed purpose of it benefiting his work.
As the technical director of the Heeresversuchsanstalt Peenemünde he continued to develop the Aggregat rocket series he started in 1933. The fourth iteration, Aggregat 4 is today known as the V-2 rocket. Von Braun is not responsible for the use of this weapon during wartime, but he certainly has to be criticized for his utter lack of interest in the treatment of the slave labor used to build his rockets.
It’s likely von Braun didn’t particularly approve of the conditions in the concentration camps he visited to collect workers, he simply didn’t care. Not that the conditions in his rocket factories were much better.

The final tally of this, how you put it, 'intellectual behemoth of unparalleled brilliance' is an estimated 8.000 military and civilian dead on one hand and at between 16.000 and 20.000 dead slave laborers in the rocket factories on the other.
The German political scientist Rainer Eisfeld who wrote a great von Braun conduct in Nazi Germany called Mondsüchtig (Moonstruck, unfortunately not available in English) put it this way:

‘The enthusiasm about the moon landing shouldn’t make us forget the suffering that occurred on earth to make it happen.’

It’s ok to revere von Braun the scientist. Just don’t ignore what he was willing to ignore to fulfill his dreams.

Jesus Christ dude...

U lose an argument so u go straight to nazis...lol

You made the outrageous claim that this is the first time metal has been bent for the express purpose of going to other planets…
That is perhaps the dumbest thing I’ve ever read on ATS and this is a site that has entire forums dedicated to the flat earth theory…
So congratulations

-chris
edit on 25-5-2020 by Christosterone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

just stop derailing this thread with this nonsense

You brought up Wernher von Braun and compared him to Elon Musk for whatever reason. I merely pointed out that, while von Braun was certainly a brilliant engineer, he had a very dark past as well. Not my fault if you can't handle this simple fact.

As for the bending metal comment, I'd suggest you read the relevant paragraph again. I chose my words carefully, while you wilfully distort them. That is to say, I wrote 'settling another planet', not 'going to other planets'.
Good god man.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

on my radio talk-show station, 10PM eastern.... the Fox News announced that Space X will soon be sending people into ISS and returning those that are being replaced

Space X has in the past done effective resupply missions only, so astronauts will be a Step-Up

Space X also stated that 'they' will progress into actually fabricating space-stations in the future...along with manning the space-dwellings …

now that's positive thinking

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Currently showing a 60% chance of launch.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

You do realize that things have changed since NASA's fledgling years of the 1950s and 60s, right? Early capsules were very akin to saying, 'Hey, but how about instead of a warhead, we place a man on top in a little capsule and see what happens?' Then someone from the back mutters, 'Maybe we should try it with a monkey/dog/etc once first just to be safe?'

There's more oversight, more regulation, more red tape, more design, just more everything compared to what there was 60 years ago. That fact that SpaceX has cut through all that, and accomplished what they have, in only 18 years since founding (and 12 years since first orbital launch) is pretty amazing.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 01:53 AM
link   

What type of weather is hostile to a rocket that blasts through the cloud layer in less than a minute, and then endures the hostile conditions beyond the atmosphere with ease?

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Very strong winds.

originally posted by: carewemust

What type of weather is hostile to a rocket that blasts through the cloud layer in less than a minute, and then endures the hostile conditions beyond the atmosphere with ease?

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Diamondgeezur
Very strong winds.

originally posted by: carewemust

Thank-you. I'll check the weather forecast near the launch pad. Hard to imagine that anything under 50mph would affect lift-off.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 02:39 AM
link   
As you go higher into the atmosphere there are winds which can reach 100 - 250 knots.

As a side note - In a video/doc about space X it gets to the launch of falcon heavy with the car and there is a scene where he is talking to his kids in control room telling them how fast the winds can hit the rocket in atmosphere.
edit on 27-5-2020 by Diamondgeezur because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 02:54 AM
link   

I can’t imagine the adrenaline rush making that walk!

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Diamondgeezur
Thank-you for the reply. It's ironic that outer-space is more "friendly" to the rocket than Earth's atmosphere is.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Low level winds, upper level winds, cloud cover, weather at any abort locations....

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Downgraded today to 50/50.

Saturday/Sunday looking better.

Launch Mission Execution Forecast

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join