It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: WHO Pushes for Bird Flu Vaccine Production

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The World Health Organization (WHO) will issue an advisory this week for countries to stockpile H5N1 bird flu vaccine - in hopes that the recommendation will spur mass-production. Vaccine makers have not mass-produced H5N1 vaccine because it's not profitable. Patents and Intellectual Property Rights for the technology are held by several different owners, and the licensing and fees to use the technology cut into profits. At the same time, continuing disinformation campaigns seek to blame terrorists for creating the disease.

www.news-medical.net
The World Health Organization is about to advise countries to stockpile the influenza vaccine for H5N1, responsible for the deadly birdflu outbreak in Southeast Asia. ...Canada is exempted from this strategy because it has already amassed stockpiles of two types of anti-viral drugs, has a long-term contract for made-in-Canada pandemic flu vaccine and the recent go-ahead to make, test and license trial batches of H5N1 vaccine.

The upcoming policy is meant to provide financial incentives for flu vaccine makers to start crucial work on developing and testing H5N1 vaccines.

The United States has ordered two million doses for stockpiling; France and Italy are in negotiations to buy bulk orders as well.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The USA ordered 2 million doses of H5N1 vaccine last fall; Canada has chosen to stockpile anti-viral medications. Neither country's preparations are adequate. The population of the USA is nearly 300 million, so 298 million Americans will not be protected. To date, anti-virals have proved ineffective against the H5N1 bird flu strain, leaving Canadians with no protection.

In Canada at least, national plans for dealing with the anticipated flu pandemic are trickling down to the regional level. For example, this week's disaster management conference in the Province of Manitoba will give planning details to officials and emergency personnel. Manitoba is slightly larger than Texas, with a population of less than 1.2 million. All residents are covered by the Manitoba Health Services Insurance Plan. Authorities assure Manitobans that if and when the pandemic does occur, the Province is prepared.

Provincial officials study emergency flu plan

Elected officials and emergency personnel will hear details of Manitoba's plan to deal with such a health disaster for the first time this week at a provincial disaster-management conference.

Among the plan's most dramatic steps: a proposal to conscript retired or part-time medical personnel, because a flu outbreak would likely cause hundreds of health professionals to get sick themselves.

The plan also has provisions to turn schools and malls into temporary hospitals, and spells out who would get flu vaccine first.

In the USA, the "Key Facts" about bird flu available from the CDC are re-written with regularity and generally contradict other available sources. See: March 8, 2005 Version: CDC "Key Facts" about bird flu

For example, the current CDC fact sheet says H5N1 bird flu doesn't cross species barriers. In fact, H5N1's ability to cross species is what makes it so dangerous. Over the past few years, H5N1 has been reported in birds, pigs, cats and other animals.

September, 2004: Re: Bird flu

"It seems this virus (H5N1 bird flu) is quite versatile - it appears in pigs, cats and other animals, so it can appear in places that were never thought about before." Omi said. "This virus is very infectious," he added. (Shigeru Omi, WHO regional director for the Western Pacific)

Fearful expert tells of bird flu in pigs

Presumably to protect the nation's poultry industry, the CDC skims right over the fact that bird flu is present in the meat of infected birds, including ducks and chickens. The CDC "fact sheet" also neglects to mention that this flu strain can present with gastrointestinal symptoms, and without other "typical" flu symptoms.

We report the first case of avian influenza in a patient with fever and diarrhea but no respiratory symptoms. Avian influenza should be included in the differential diagnosis for patients with predominantly gastrointestinal symptoms, particularly if they have a history of exposure to poultry.

Atypical avian influenza (H5N1). Emerg Infect Dis. 2004 Jul;10(7):1321-4. Apisarnthanarak A, Kitphati R, Thongphubeth K, Patoomanunt P, Anthanont P, Auwanit W, Thawatsupha P, Chittaganpitch M, Saeng-Aroon S, Waicharoen S, Apisarnthanarak P, Storch GA, Mundy LM, Fraser VJ. Thammasart University Hospital, Klong Luang, Pratumthani, Thailand. PMID: 15324560

The CDC "fact sheet" also assures Americans that H5N1 bird flu has not entered the USA. However, without using molecular diagnostics on each and every person in the nation, such a claim legitimately cannot be made.

In fact, scientists are pleading with governments to use molecular diagnostics for accurate diagnosis. In March of 2004, researchers from the Neuroscience Research Institute in Peking recommended the use of molecular diagnostics towards the establishment of "systems of sensitive and fast detection methods as the first line of alarm." Such systems have not been created or implemented anywhere in North America.

See: The necessity of molecular diagnostics for avian flu

As with Mad Cow, bird flu could be epidemic and no one would ever know - because the testing protocols are totally inadequate.

H5N1 bird flu is now known to spread person-to-person, and to be asymptomatic in some individuals. This means that unknown to anyone, some people might be carriers.

Relatives of avian flu patients have asymptomatic cases

Mar 9, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – Two relatives of avian influenza patients in northern Vietnam have tested positive for the virus without being sick, according to reports from Vietnam today.

researchers have recently described several instances of person-to-person transmission.

Now there is evidence that in rare cases it can spread from person to person.

Bird flu can be transmitted in a variety of different ways: between animals, birds and humans via physical contact or droplets in the air; in feces and urine and therefor, in water and soil and from contaminated surfaces. More to the point, the virus apparently can survive an unusually long time without a host.

For example, British microbiologist Professor Hugh Pennington is urging a ban on poultry feathers from China because of possible contamination with the H5N1 bird flu virus.

Feather pillows may carry Asian bird flu

Poultry feathers imported from China to make products such as pillows could carry the avian flu virus, says a British microbiologist who is urging the British Government to consider banning them.

"Terrorist" warnings are being released to cover up government mismanagement. With increasing regularity, military and other officials are suggesting that bird flu might be a purposefully designed biological weapon. Here is a recent military "report" that was "leaked" to the press.

Military intelligence warns that avian flu could be used as weapon: report

The military's intelligence arm has warned the federal government that avian influenza could be used as a weapon of bioterrorism, a heavily censored report suggests.

It also reveals that military planners believe a naturally occurring flu pandemic may be imminent. The report, entitled Recent Human Outbreaks of Avian Influenza and Potential Biological Warfare Implications, was obtained under the Access to Information Act by The Canadian Press.

The report outlines in broad terms the methods that could be used to develop a manmade strain of influenza capable of triggering a human flu pandemic. ...It notes a method called "passaging," while not entirely predictable, could be a "potentially highly effective" way to push a virus to develop virulence. ..."Such forced antigenic shifts could be attempted in a biological weapons program," says the 15-page report, dated Dec. 8, 2004.

In fact, scientists have been tracking bird flu mutations for decades, and warning authorities about the coming dangers if it was left free to evolve. Bird flu pathology is linked to a misfolded protein called "a-smooth muscle actin" (a-SMA) and mutated cells called "myofibroblasts," which cause fibroplasia and create fibrosis. This disease pathology first emerged in the USA in the early 1900's.

Misfolded a-SMA and myofibroblast pathology characterize a disease called fibromuscular dysplasia (FMD). FMD was offically acknowledged in the USA in 1938 when Drs. Leadbetter and Burkland proved the disease was being transmitted congenitally. FMD first was discovered in domestic turkeys in the USA in 1980.

See: Fibromuscular Dysplasia

H5N1 bird flu's evolutionary tale is long, and linked via the actin protein to FMD and Mad Cow disease. Understanding the tale takes knowledge of molecular biology, biochemistry, proteomics and genetics, at least. Our governments are counting on our scientific ignorance.

Concerns to protect industry and "the economy" override any efforts to protect ordinary people from the H5N1 bird flu epidemic, as with the Mad Cow epidemics. Unfortunately, what people don't know can hurt them.

Someday soon, it no longer will be possible to camouflage this new epidemic, and "the terrorists" will be held responsible. And although the time for effective quarantine is decades past, no doubt quarantine will be touted as the best defense.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Government Plans for Flu Epidemic: Update
NEWS: WHO warns of bird flu pandemic
SCI/TECH: Russian Expert Fears Flu Epidemic May Kill Over A Billion People This Year.
NEWS: Bush Pushes Wrong Flu Vaccine to American People

[edit on 11-3-2005 by soficrow]

[edit on 11-3-2005 by soficrow]

[edit on 13-3-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

The USA ordered 2 million doses of H5N1 vaccine last fall; Canada has chosen to stockpile anti-viral medications. Neither country's preparations are adequate. The population of the USA is nearly 300 million, so 298 million Americans will not be protected.

So the richest 4% of the american population gets a vaccine. Hey, whats new? Capitalism in action! Wake up America!

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Sofi, outstanding thread, as usual you are a library of information, again you got my vote for this month.

You should become a professional writer of articles.

Something that scares me is, that doctors will treat patients with symptoms as per patients tells what their symptoms are.

I know because I was one of them for 4 years, until finally my problem was discovered.

Doctors will give you all kind of treatment and will run test just for what you describe giving you most often the wrong treatment.

Sometimes years will pass until they find exactly what is wrong with you.

I wonder what and under one name and treatment doctors will treat somebody that have bird flu, depending on the symptoms of the patient they will never detected until is to late.

I wonder also how many people will die from their ailments and given the wrong cause of death.

Do you know if the doctors are fallowing guide lines to test for birth flu? or mad cow? or doctors just avoid doing that.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Sofi, outstanding thread, as usual you are a library of information, again you got my vote for this month.

Thanks marg.

Sometimes years will pass until they find exactly what is wrong with you.

I wonder what and under one name and treatment doctors will treat somebody that have bird flu, depending on the symptoms of the patient they will never detected until is to late.

I wonder also how many people will die from their ailments and given the wrong cause of death.

Happens over and over again. Insurance won't cover investigative diagnostic testing - so early symptoms don't lead to a diagnosis - only acute late stage ones.

Do you know if the doctors are fallowing guide lines to test for birth flu? or mad cow? or doctors just avoid doing that.

IMO - the guidelines are totally inadequate - they actually prevent diagnosis, early and otherwise. ...Even tho tests exist, they are not covered by insurance and are not mass-produced. Nobody tests. ...Sometimes tissue samples from autopsy are sent to the CDC.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I think the only guidelines are a quick check of symptoms to compare to BF symptoms. The bad thing is, the beginning symptoms can be due to anything and usually dont get diagnosed for what it is untill it has started spreading and people are thinking about it. You know the saying. Out of sight out of mind? I think that is the mentality going on here. Not from you
but from the physicians who are responsible for telling us what we are dying from.

Edit for:

Great post Sofi
You have got to quit this. I only have three votes a month and they always go to you!

[edit on 3/10/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
For what I gather, so far the government is aware of the possibility of an epidemic, that is the reason countries are stockpiling the vaccine.

Has somebody noticed that since the HIV all these other disease has pop out? I find it too coincidental.

Another thing does anybody notice how other diseases always seem to attack countries around us but US does never come publicly about any incidents here in our own soil?

Cover up? Perhaps

Last year we had and alert that if we were to turn in any bird or domestic animal that we may think die of suspicious reason, so a lot of people went in a frenzy and were turning death bird all over that was funny, but the reason was because we have a few incidents of west Nile Virus in the area.

I wonder if they are related to bird flu.

I also wonder if we can get it from eating infected poultry, but also now pigs has it?

I Still wonder how our government will protect the “industries” firs rather than to enforced better ways of animal testing.

Is like “as long people does not complain of illnesses the government does have to worry”

I guess we humans are expendable but the meat industry is not.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

For what I gather, so far the government is aware of the possibility of an epidemic, that is the reason countries are stockpiling the vaccine.

marg - sorry but - no one is stockpiling the H5N1 vaccine - they can't because it's not in production. ...No one has the right flu vaccine...

...That's why the WHO is making this policy recommendation - they're trying to force countries to order the vaccine, which will encourage manufacturers to make it.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Oh, my mistake sorry, I mis read the post, I understand now, actually pharmaceuticals will wait until we have an epidemic to do something about it.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Oh, my mistake sorry, I mis read the post, I understand now, actually pharmaceuticals will wait until we have an epidemic to do something about it.

Yep. But the whole thing is kind of complicated - and has to do with how much profit they are able to pull out of the product. ...In the past, vaccines were a big profit item - but because of the new technologies, they have to share their profits with the different people who own the various tech. ...They don't want to, so they don't make it.

...There are a lot of treatments and cures that are possible to make, not just H5N1 vaccine - but they aren't manufactured just because the profits would have to be shared.

Governments have been staying out of it and letting the "market forces" rule, but more and more people are saying something needs to be done. ...If the public knew what was going on and how it works, there'd be hett to pay.

top topics

join