It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Book Series Recommendations?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

That sounds neat! I like out of place archeology.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I will always suggest Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl.

Its a crazy book about a Dr. who survived the holocaust and is a true story.
edit on 7-2-2020 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   
'The Iluminatus' trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea.
Mind bending and often hilarious stuff.
en.wikipedia.org...!_Trilogy
edit on 7-2-2020 by Homefree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   
the adrians undead diary series is great and is on book 12 now by chris philbroke ,if you like space operas blood on the stars by jay allan is great its on book 14 or 15 now

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Have you checked out the Cleric Quintet books by Salvatore? They're pretty solid. Also the main DragonLance series is pretty good stuff as well. They're a little cheesy, but in a good way, Jeremy Robinson, pretty much most of his books. More action/adventure type, but he's got some interesting Kaiju stuff in a few of them, and some very interesting themes.

Also Marsbound, Starbound, and Earthbound by Joe Haldeman are pretty good as well.

Edit: I could probably go on all day with books...I read an awful lot, probably 150-200 books a year
edit on 2/7/20 by Hypntick because: Additional info

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   

The Legend of Drizzt.
By R.A Salvatore

It's a huge book. A series of three books in one.
You won't be able to put it down.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I just remembered this one. While it's not a series, it's a very cool, fantastical fiction filled with illusion and magic:

The Magus, by John Fowles.

Awesome book. I need to read it again.

www.goodreads.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

The first three are one of my all time favourites, but I've never read any of the others.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

The Magus is an amazing book. 👍

Since we are off genre, y’all should check out

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

The master and margarita
edit on 7-2-2020 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   
For lots of magic and monsters, try the Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski.
- The Last Wish is the first book in this series.

Another great series (still waiting for the 3rd one) is The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. A very interesting take on magic.
- Name of the Wind is the first book.

ETA: The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist (Magician: Apprentice is the first book).

Cheers...

edit on 7-2-2020 by Gandalf77 because: Addition

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   

One that I've enjoyed is an urban fantasy tetrology by Anne Bishop - Marked in Flesh, Written in Red, Murder of Crows, and Vision in Silver. I know urban fantasy deals usually fairly heavily with bodice ripping type stuff, but while there is an element of romance this series, it's understated and sweet. There are some sexual themes there, but the story itself is engaging and there is humor to it also. I always enjoy this set enough to go back to it.

Stephan Baxter's Flood and Ark are two books that do fit together, but you don't need to read one to get the other. The setting is a world that is slowly flooding in a complete waterworld (only without the tops of the highest mountains left exposed). One is the story of trying to survive that and thoroughly grounded on earth. The other is the fight to launch an ark to the stars in the face of that and what happens to those people after.

Six books by E.E. Knight, The Age of Fire series. Dragon Champion, Dragon Avenger, Dragon Outcast, Dragon Strike, Dragon Rule, Dragon Fate. The first three are the separate coming of age tales of three dragon siblings, each starting at the same identical place and diverging, told in that sibling's voice and from its perspective. The last three are what happens when those siblings meet up as adults and how they change the world.

Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy. The Way of Shadows, Shadows Edge, Beyond the Shadows. It's a very complex set of novels about a young gutter rat who ends up growing up to be a legendary, feared assassin. There's so much more to it than that, but it's hard to get into it without going way, way into it.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 02:56 PM
link   

The Twilight and Fifty Shades of S*** books are both remarkable series. Read them simultaneously for maximum effect.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Or she could just go cruise Edward fanfic and get the same effect.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Not necessarily your genre requested, but I would recommend you try out Jean M. Auel Earth's Children Series [Clan of the Cave Bear, Valley of the Horses, Mammoth Hunters, Plains of Passage, Shelters of Stone, and Land of Painted Caves].

They are historical fiction set in the timeframe of 30,000 years before the present. It is amazing how you do get caught up with the characters and do not want to put the book down. I started with the 3rd in the series Mammoth hunters and was hooked. Was so happy to find the others to read. So getting one out of order doesn't hurt the storyline.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Those are also good ones.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   
If you're interested in something different I would recommend the Tome of Bill series by Rick Gualtieri. It's hilarious! It's about a nerd who becomes a vampire. Or the Space Team series by Barry J Hutchinson. I've been on a real comedy kick if you can't tell LOL

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Most of my favs have already been recommended,but... Favorite fantasy series for me is The Black Company series by Glen Cook.A mercenary company with a few wizards are hired by the most powerful Sorceress ruler to put down a rebellion and that's just the start,highly recommend this series

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 05:20 PM
link   

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan is one of my favorites.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
The Repairman Jack series part the The Adversary Cycle is great.

The Dresden Files

The Sword of Truth series

Wheel of Time

The Harry Bosch books

So many

I would add the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - Stephen Donaldson
Most definitely no romance there .

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: watchitburn
The Repairman Jack series part the The Adversary Cycle is great.

The Dresden Files

The Sword of Truth series

Wheel of Time

The Harry Bosch books

So many

I would add the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - Stephen Donaldson
Most definitely no romance there .

Is Lord Foul's Bane part of that?

I feel like we've had this conversation...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join